News & Notes: Offseason Edition V.2.0.

D82

19 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

At this point, I'm assuming there's bad blood with Dak in how this thing has been handled. The Cowboys, should've transitioned tagged Dak and let him test the market, receiving the two 1st round picks or matching the deal he found. Now after the Mahomes contract, I can't see the Cowboys F.O. paying Dak over 45 million/yr. to make him the highest paid QB in the NFL.

Outside of something drastic happening on July 15th, the Cowboys should have a succession plan in place for their next franchise QB.

FIFY.....Dallas is going to get bent over on this one way or another. There is no real way around it.  It's hard to even put into words how poorly they have played out this entire scenario.  Dallas has let the market re-set 4 times. This one being a true dagger though. Letting Mahomes' deal get done first is just plain stupid. 

Edited by WizardHawk
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

At this point, I'm assuming there's bad blood with Dak in how this thing has been handled. The Cowboys, should've transitioned tagged Dak and let him test the market, receiving the two 1st round picks or matching the deal he found. Now after the Mahomes contract, I can't see the Cowboys F.O. paying Dak over 40 million/yr. to make him the highest paid QB in the NFL.

Outside of something drastic happening on July 15th, the Cowboys should have a succession plan in place for their next franchise QB.

Transition tagged? Hell with that! Non-Exclusive Franchise Tag! At least with that you can get compensation if not matched! 

no idea why more teams don’t do Non-Exclusive 

19 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

Transition tagged? Hell with that! Non-Exclusive Franchise Tag! At least with that you can get compensation if not matched! 

no idea why more teams don’t do Non-Exclusive 

That's what I was referring too. The tag where the Boys would've gotten two first round picks if they didn't match Dak's contract with another team. Those picks could've helped for a trade up to take Trevor Lawrence in next year's draft. I'm not the biggest fan of Dak, but this is awful business/decision making. We never get compensation for our players.

What's frustrating is if the F.O. doesn't believe Dak deserves the money, get compensation. Don't drag your feet or pay other players with current contracts (looking at you Zeke and Jaylon) first. Make a decision and stick with it. But the F.O. lollygagged for 2 years instead. Now they don't have a young backup QB for the future.  

Edited by Tony7188

2 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

You guys remember when we were debating about Dak getting a deal worth $30m/yr? How about $35m/yr? $40m?  LMAO. 

🤣🤣 If Mahomes is getting 50 mil a year, Dak might be asking for 40-42-44 mil with escalators 🤣🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

You guys remember when we were debating about Dak getting a deal worth $30m/yr? How about $35m/yr? $40m?  LMAO. 

So question because I'm no cap guru.

How does this deal hurt us? Dak didn't want to go to 5 years so he could opt out for more money. Sure Mahomes got a lot more average annual than anyone but he signed a 10 year deal, that should look good in about 4 or 5 years.

I dont care that Mahomes signed first, im not paying Dak a cent more than Mahomes. He doesnt have a ring or an MVP and Mahomes is younger.

3 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Not unless my point a few months ago is true: that we never intended to sign him to a long term deal to begin with.

All I ask of the organization is I hope you have a plan for the most important position on the field if you intend to let Dak walk.

2 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Well, the anti-Dak crowd can probably rejoice. Dak plays out the franchise tag and Dallas starts over at QB. That's my guess at the moment anyway. 

Crazy deal. Even crazier how badly this was handled by Dallas. 

I agree.  As I said on another post I just hope Dallas has a plan if and when Dak walks.  Yes I'm serious about hoping the front office has a plan.

16 hours ago, plan9misfit said:
17 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Would it be smart though? 

There's plenty of room to debate whether it is or isn't. In my opinion, much of it depends on the salary cap impact given the players the team will have to lose in order to have a QB absorb 17-20% of the cap every year.

True. I'm just saying.

Like Wentz's deal is definitely gonna make it harder for us to roster build.

However, you guys are pretty fortunate going from Romo (undrafted) to Prescott (4th round) .... like its definitely a risk to just let him walk.

Obviously you could end up hitting on a QB in the first when you let him walk which would pay huge dividends, but if you believe Dak is a franchise QB I feel you have to lock him up. To me he's top 10, so he's a guy I think I would still want to extend if I were in your guys shoes.

The front office definitely botched this though. I feel like they could've had him for a decent amount cheaper. Like I was surprised Wentz got his deal before him, because he had a 5th year option which Dak didn't. Have to give credit he played this extremely well. I thought he was dumb for not just taking the 35 million or whatever you guys were offering months ago.... I was dead wrong about that one.