TNF: Bears @ Packers

Herbie_Hancock

6 minutes ago, The LBC said:

With them having gotten this late-half score, I'd agree.  I don't advocate bringing a kid into a road game against a division rival facing a 3-score deficit as his first regular season action with the 1's.  You're asking for trouble that can wreck the kid's confidence in that scenario because game script is basically signalling with flares that you're not going to be able to lean (even evenly) on your run game as you would like to when popping a rookie QB in there.  Yes, you want him to get experience but you also want to put him in at least a feasible situation to succeed.  If a coach is willing to concede the game (which is just about no coach) and operate from a game script as if the game were closer on the basis of it being a rookie QB, go for it.  But it's not wise to make a rookie QB's first major reps be in a situation where the defense knows he has to throw and can just pin their ears back.

Yes, I would call the game evenly as though it were still close there. I mainly want him to get used to the speed, controlling a huddle, etc. Present reasonable expectations for him as well - he needs to know that he's not expected to be a savior of the game, etc etc. 

I would say though that if I'm in danger of wrecking a kid's confidence over a bad half of football in his first experience, I think I have bigger issues with that prospect. 

1 minute ago, Pats#1 said:

Was giving that GB defender a piggy back ride 

It's a philosophy..if you get beat, jump on his back and act like it was a great defensive stop lol.

Honestly not sure how the refs missed that...Wheaton's arm was being held the whole route it seemed

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yes, I would call the game evenly as though it were still close there. I mainly want him to get used to the speed, controlling a huddle, etc. Present reasonable expectations for him as well - he needs to know that he's not expected to be a savior of the game, etc etc. 

I would say though that if I'm in danger of wrecking a kid's confidence over a bad half of football in his first experience, I think I have bigger issues with that prospect. 

The wrecking of confidence is a snowball effect though.  We've seen a number of things cause it, too, not just bad OL's: Getting one of his teammates hurt, committing multiple turnovers that are returned for points, etc.  It's lots of little things, but when it happens and then nearly happens again the next week (or does happen again next week), that little devil starts creeping on the kid's shoulder making him start second-guessing things.  With guys like Wentz who are gunslingers you don't really have to sweat it.  But Trubisky has never really been a gunslinger, so it's far easier for those bad luck/decision incidences to start accumulating as weights on his confidence.

2 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

Romo is already better than all the other play by play guys out together. 

I completely agree. I'm loving his commentary. I'll admit, I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to all the technical details, and hearing his explanation is amazing and helpful! 

Archived