Browns General Discussion

candyman93

17 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Chubb and Zeke aren't the same. Zeke had a brutal running style and questionable work ethic. 

Chubb should have two more years left at least.

Im not debating the player, I am just making a point on if we are going to be smart enough to get away before he falls off or are we going to be loyal and keep him past his prime. 

And I agree he has maybe 3 elite years left, but as some point he is going to fall off 

Edited by MSURacerDT55

5 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Im not debating the player, I am just making a point on if we are going to be smart enough to get away before he falls off or are we going to be loyal and keep him past his prime. 

And I agree he has maybe 3 elite years left, but as some point he is going to fall off 

He's signed through 2024, where he will be 29. From there, I think something like letting him walk for a comp pick or a franchise tag would be on the table without really hurting our cap number.

• Like 1

If he starts sucking, that’s one thing. But Nick Chubb is on a hall of fame trajectory. Something we don’t have around here too often. Something most teams would reward. As long as he is a good player, let him put up his hall of fame numbers here, and not somewhere else. This isnt complicated to me. And there is no drama associated with him. Leave it to us to finally put a roster out there to go with him, and then we don’t let our best player see the finish line. Whatever, if we are idiots and let him go somewhere else in the next couple then I hope he gets a trophy.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

If he starts sucking, that’s one thing. But Nick Chubb is on a hall of fame trajectory. Something we don’t have around here too often. Something most teams would reward. As long as he is a good player, let him put up his hall of fame numbers here, and not somewhere else. This isnt complicated to me. And there is no drama associated with him. Leave it to us to finally put a roster out there to go with him, and then we don’t let our best player see the finish line. Whatever, if we are idiots and let him go somewhere else in the next couple then I hope he gets a trophy.

Bro, think about how we utilize him though, do we ever use him in critical periods of the game? Do we run with him on 4th and 1? or around the goalline? How many times have we given him the ball 20+ times in his career? Or late in the 4th quarter to salt away a game?

For him to be as good as he is, we certainly don't get our moneys worth like how Tennessee does with Derrick Henry, just saying.

Edited by MSURacerDT55

20 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Bro, think about how we utilize him though, do we ever use him in critical periods of the game? Do we run with him on 4th and 1? or around the goalline? How many times have we given him the ball 20+ times in his career? Or late in the 4th quarter to salt away a game?

For him to be as good as he is, we certainly don't get our moneys worth like how Tennessee does with Derrick Henry, just saying.

So what are we saying the solution is here to his lack of meaningful use? He’s been on one playoff team. His QB has been Mayfield and what we had last year. If Watson can fulfill his end of the bargain, no reason this shouldn’t be a playoff caliber offense. I don’t think we are going to get better by letting our best player leave. The opportunity cost associated with how we would spend the money by letting Nick Chubb walk does not even out to me. And there are various factors there that to me make it silly to get rid of him until he isn’t fulfilling his end of things. 

If you can get a first for Chubb take it. 3 years of production from the most replaceable position in sports isn’t worth a 1st round talent that could be on this team for another 10 years. If Watson finally knocks the rust off we’re going to be a heavy pass team. Or at least we should if Stefanski or whoever is our HC is smart about it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

So what are we saying the solution is here to his lack of meaningful use? He’s been on one playoff team. His QB has been Mayfield and what we had last year. If Watson can fulfill his end of the bargain, no reason this shouldn’t be a playoff caliber offense. I don’t think we are going to get better by letting our best player leave. The opportunity cost associated with how we would spend the money by letting Nick Chubb walk does not even out to me. And there are various factors there that to me make it silly to get rid of him until he isn’t fulfilling his end of things. 

Oh, I agree, we definitely should have a playoff caliber offense on paper. I just think we should use the guy, get our moneys worth (hell, I think he even wants it) at least while he is here the next few seasons. I also agree with not letting our good players leave.

These are times where I wish we had an established culture where we weren't so reliant on elite players and have guys overachieve just because of where they are playing.......

Emerson was Cleveland’s highest pick last year. To this point, he’s also the gem of the class. The analytics wing of Cleveland’s front office, which coveted Emerson’s measurables (6-foot-1 height and 6-foot-7 wingspan) during the draft process, appears to have landed a long-term starting corner. The rangy Emerson won a starting job out of training camp and kept it. Emerson was steady and durable, and his ability to cover one-on-one was a notable reason why Cleveland topped the NFL in lowest opposing QBR (34.4) against man coverage.

I know Andrew Berry was a CB in college. I wonder if it’s just easier for him to evaluate CBs as opposed to other positions because of his own experience.

7 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Nice nate

But I wish he held better.

6 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

If you can get a first for Chubb take it. 3 years of production from the most replaceable position in sports isn’t worth a 1st round talent that could be on this team for another 10 years. If Watson finally knocks the rust off we’re going to be a heavy pass team. Or at least we should if Stefanski or whoever is our HC is smart about it. 

Most replaceable position in sports? How about a right handed relief pitcher? No no, Nick Chubb is more easily replaced, meaning his production. He is tied for 3rd all time with 3 seasons of 5 yards per carry and 200 rush attempts and he was 8 carries away in 2018 and 10 carries away in 2020 from from having 5 seasons that met that criteria which would tie him with Barry Sanders and Jim Brown all time.

Great running backs aren't easily replaced. Average ones are.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Most replaceable position in sports? How about a right handed relief pitcher? No no, Nick Chubb is more easily replaced, meaning his production. He is tied for 3rd all time with 3 seasons of 5 yards per carry and 200 rush attempts and he was 8 carries away in 2018 and 10 carries away in 2020 from from having 5 seasons that met that criteria which would tie him with Barry Sanders and Jim Brown all time.

Great running backs aren't easily replaced. Average ones are.

Yeah count me in the camp for not trading him for what we likely get in return.

but on that note what are the cap implications of trading Chubb? 

6 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I know Andrew Berry was a CB in college. I wonder if it’s just easier for him to evaluate CBs as opposed to other positions because of his own experience.

I hope he goes to his roots this off-season then because the CB class is by far the strength of this class. Like…I think it’s the best CB class maybe ever. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

Yeah count me in the camp for not trading him for what we likely get in return.

but on that note what are the cap implications of trading Chubb? 

If we trade him before June 1 We'd save about 7 million this year and 16 million next year. After June 1 we'd save 11 this year and 12 next.

Not worth it imo just because he is Nick Chubb.

We could also save some money by extending him. I'd be fine with gambling that he plays well into his early 30s. Beats watching him run the ball for another team, that would be upsetting.

• Like 2