Browns General Discussion

candyman93

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

Does anyone else besides me think there’s still a chance Clowney resigns?

I think at this point if you can get him for like 4-5 million it could be worth it if he’s willing to get with the program.  

I’m not going to pin too much fault on him because Joe Woods should not have been in that position. I think a fresh face in Schwartz would be enough for me to keep  Clowney. He was really good for us to year before and the entire defense was out of wack. 

Because he could do good in this wide 9 scheme. It’s really the best scheme for him to help boost his sack numbers.  If he came with a positive attitude I’d be open to it. 

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47i5hh1z9a60smrgvuoc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

I think at this point if you can get him for like 4-5 million it could be worth it if he’s willing to get with the program.  

I’m not going to pin too much fault on him because Joe Woods should not have been in that position. I think a fresh face in Schwartz would be enough for me to keep  Clowney. He was really good for us to year before and the entire defense was out of wack. 

Because he could do good in this wide 9 scheme. It’s really the best scheme for him to help boost his sack numbers.  If he came with a positive attitude I’d be open to it. 

He trashed his employer on the way out after refusing to enter games or play to the scheme regardless of how bad it was.

Throw in his unavailability due to injury, and he’s a hard pass. He’s been in the league a decade now and is who he is: An injury prone high end run stopper with some ability to rush the passer on occasion while being completely unable to on occasion.

Hard pass.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

I’ve been kicking this idea around myself for a month or so.

I think it will depend on his contract tbh.  The nerds clearly aren’t getting in their feelings with this stuff as evidenced by the OBJ situation.  It’s business and if it makes business sense they’re gonna listen.

I don’t like the way he handled it obviously, but I also don’t think he was entirely wrong.  He was wrong to some degree about Myles getting premium rush opportunities, but even if he wasn’t he’s gonna have to live with that as he’s simply not Myles and that’s how the league works.  The complaints about scheme were a common thread from a lot of the vets last season and it’s a large part of the reason Woods isn’t here any longer. I’d be interested in seeing how the team felt about what he said tbh.  I could see this situation being similar to OBJ where it was a bigger issue for fans than his teammates and they agreed with him tbh.

I think with Clowney he is what he is, good and bad, and I think his value is about as low as it’s gonna get.  I wouldn’t be interested in paying him much, but I’m not sure other teams are going to be either.  Sub 4-5 million he’s a pretty decent option on a one year deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

He trashed his employer on the way out after refusing to enter games or play to the scheme regardless of how bad it was.

Throw in his unavailability due to injury, and he’s a hard pass. He’s been in the league a decade now and is who he is: An injury prone high end run stopper with some ability to rush the passer on occasion while being completely unable to on occasion.

Hard pass.

Completely agree, MWill.

Given how he scripted his own exit (and then backpedaled hurriedly on that when it blew up in his face), why in God's name would you ever want to allow the carcinogenic element that is Jadaveon Clowney back into your lour locker room? I mean, seriously.......

The players on your team do not need to be on the level of friends that want to date one another. But they MUST respect one another, the management structure and the game itself.

Jadaveon is NONE of those things. He is an egocentric tool, living off the glory of one sensationalized hit IN COLLEGE many moons ago. Allowing him anywhere near 76 Lou Groza Blvd. is a colossal blunder. It is the kind of move that could easily poison the entire locker room and flush yet another season.

If you preach - "smart, tough, and accountable" then be "smart, tough, and accountable." Cutting JC was the right call in January, and it remains so today. Clearly an addition by subtraction move.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brooks1957 said:

Completely agree, MWill.

Given how he scripted his own exit (and then backpedaled hurriedly on that when it blew up in his face), why in God's name would you ever want to allow the carcinogenic element that is Jadaveon Clowney back into your lour locker room? I mean, seriously.......

The players on your team do not need to be on the level of friends that want to date one another. But they MUST respect one another, the management structure and the game itself.

Jadaveon is NONE of those things. He is an egocentric tool, living off the glory of one sensationalized hit IN COLLEGE many moons ago. Allowing him anywhere near 76 Lou Groza Blvd. is a colossal blunder. It is the kind of move that could easily poison the entire locker room and flush yet another season.

If you preach - "smart, tough, and accountable" then be "smart, tough, and accountable." Cutting JC was the right call in January, and it remains so today. Clearly an addition by subtraction move.

I will say the one caveat with Clowney for me would be he needs to understand and verbalize and accept his role here to even consider bringing him back.  He said stuff last year multiple times seeming to imply he and Myles were 1a and 1B and he “was nobody’s sidekick”.

Pal, that’s exactly what you are.  You’re a complimentary end who’s gonna work in a rotation and who’s going to give every prime rushing opportunity to the freak wearing 95.  That’s the starting point for me. If he still thinks he’s “that dude”, cool, best of luck to you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

That right there is why I wouldn't want him back, no matter what the other circumstances were. You're getting paid well to do your job, play in games, and support the team. I certainly get the frustration when things don't go how you envision them at work, but getting all up in your feels and refusing to do your job would and should get anyone on the planet fired from any position at any salary point (let alone someone getting paid super well to do what they supposedly love).

35 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

That right there is why I wouldn't want him back, no matter what the other circumstances were. You're getting paid well to do your job, play in games, and support the team. I certainly get the frustration when things don't go how you envision them at work, but getting all up in your feels and refusing to do your job would and should get anyone on the planet fired from any position at any salary point (let alone someone getting paid super well to do what they supposedly love).

I get this entirely and don’t disagree, mostly because I think it ****s your teammates.  Hate your boss and call them out for their incompetence all you want, but don’t crap on your teammates.

All that said, if the other guys in that DL room are cool with him and would have no issue with him returning, I’m not sure why we should care.

We all said the same things about OBJ and maybe we were right about a lot of it, but his attitude and personality didn’t prevent him from contributing to a team during a Super Bowl run.

How a player handles frustration at the end of a long, underwhelming season isn’t unimportant, but it’s far less important than having another underwhelming season.

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The complaints about scheme were a common thread from a lot of the vets last season and it’s a large part of the reason Woods isn’t here any longer. I’d be interested in seeing how the team felt about what he said tbh.  I could see this situation being similar to OBJ where it was a bigger issue for fans than his teammates and they agreed with him tbh.

I think with Clowney he is what he is, good and bad, and I think his value is about as low as it’s gonna get.  I wouldn’t be interested in paying him much, but I’m not sure other teams are going to be either.  Sub 4-5 million he’s a pretty decent option on a one year deal.

Exactly 

I feel like everyone was frustrated last year dealing with the suspension situation. 

I think if he showed sincere remorse and accountability to the team I’d be open to bring him back for that price. Objectively this defense is the best fit for him. 

If he has the right attitude and takes a team friendly contract I’d be for it. I think the locker room liked Clowney and could be somewhat galvanized seeing him come back. He’d get that full year to play with Deshaun that he wanted. But he’s gotta have the right attitude.

I don’t expect players to function correctly in dysfunctional environments. Usually players with some sense have friction with bad environments so I could see how Clowney acted out to a certain extent  

19 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Exactly 

I feel like everyone was frustrated last year dealing with the suspension situation. 

I think if he showed sincere remorse and accountability to the team I’d be open to bring him back for that price. Objectively this defense is the best fit for him. 

Yeah the fit and opportunity is likely about as good as he’s gonna get.

If he has the right attitude and takes a team friendly contract I’d be for it. I think the locker room liked Clowney and could be somewhat galvanized seeing him come back. He’d get that full year to play with Deshaun that he wanted. But he’s gotta have the right attitude.

I’d expect the team would know much better than us if this was an isolated incident due to frustration or an ongoing issue with him behind closed doors.  If it’s the former, I can accept he had a bad stretch or whatever but if this a reoccurring theme with him then I’m a hard pass.

I don’t expect players to function correctly in dysfunctional environments. Usually players with some sense have friction with bad environments so I could see how Clowney acted out to a certain extent  

I agree with this.  Expecting players whose careers hinge on how well they play to just shut up accept things without speaking up is unrealistic.  The issue isn’t players speaking up imo, it’s the substandard job by the coaches.

• Like 1