Several Cowboys and Texans Players are COVID-19 Positive

HTTRDynasty

3 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

I think that the NFL players would probably be fine (especially if you screen out at risk players). Not only are the players at a very low risk age category, but I think an argument can be made that their fitness is protective compared to the general population. I suspect a number of players have already been exposed without a death...something that is becoming apparent with more widespread testing. I think that the coaches and other non-player personnel could certainly be at risk. 

Yup. This is the biggest risk that I see and why I don't believe the NFL could come back in 2021. Coaches, owners and non-player personnel could be gravely affected.

4 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Yes and no. Its a novel virus and we learn more each day. Much of what we thought about the virus in January turned out to be false in March. What we thought we knew in March has been updated and changed in May. It was thought that pediatric patients were safe, then we later learned that's not the case.
Too soon to be making any declarations about who is/isn't at risk imo

We also don't have good data on what happens on the line of scrimmage over a 3 hour period. You have two immense humans 3 inches apart, breathing heavily while under intense exertion. There really isn't a good model for that in the real world. Players talk about how exhausted they are at the end of a series and at the end of a game. How does that impact transmission and infection ? How does their exertion level impact getting and progressing in the disease ? What if the players are taking other meds for various maladies and or steroids/hGH etc ?  None of that has been studied so far. If you read the stories from COVID19 patients, they all talk about the oxygen deprivation and how they have zero energy... now imagine that in a football player.

So much we just don't know yet.
But what we do know is that viruses from the same family cause lung scarring, cardiac issues and other long- term concerns. Its well within the realm of possibility that the players get COVID19, recover after several weeks and have impaired lung function for the rest of their lives - thus limiting their ability to play professional sports. That possibility has to weigh on the minds of some players -  and although that risk is small, its not zero.

The NFL Lords surely want their money, but it ain't their livelihood at risk out there on the field.

Flip side, the players' livelihoods (ESPECIALLY the fringe guys) are very much at risk if they don't return to the field...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, I <3 Faulk said:

Do you expect them to keep the draft order the same if we get no football? I'd imagine they do an NBA style lottery for the teams who missed the playoffs. 

If draft order stays the same does that mean Chiefs are back to back SB champs????  Asking for a friend. 

16 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

It's scary hearing the experience of some that have tested positive that felt fine for a while but then started noticing some long-term effects. Hopefully Zeke and the rest who tested positive will be fine. 

It will be decades before the true death rate is known. And it will be exponentially higher than any of the current estimates. From the outset there were indications of lung scarring among survivors, even from young survivors. I watched a panel of doctors discuss this way back in March. You could tell by the look on their faces that what they were seeing on the scans was ominous down the road. 

Young people are kidding themselves if they think this is no big deal simply because they can thwart it off now. These are the only organs you'll ever own.

I have always looked at it this way, as a handicapper: If this hasn't happened in a full century, that's all you need to know. The extreme is going to prevail. Anyone who errs high is going to be correct every step of the way and anyone who errs low is going to play the fool. 

From anecdotes I have read on many sites for weeks, Texans have been dismissive and erring low. I am not surprised by these numbers. 

We are in early stages of this

In Europe, the leagues have all restarted their football season again as of this week or last week. Some countries, like the UK, were hit harder than USA (per million people), and some athletes in the league contracted COVID. It's been deemed safe enough to continue the season (with no fans in stadium) some 3 months later. I assume players isolated enough to not spread it/catch it. 

Surely the NFL season can go ahead following this template?

Edited by Hunter2_1

At some point, these players, the owners, and everyone else affiliated with the league are going to want to be paid. And like many people who are currently going to work right now, risking exposure to COVID is a bit of the human condition right now. I think that the likelihood of a vaccine being ready by next season is unlikely. The fastest that a vaccine has been mass produced is about 4 years. And there is always the chance that mutations of the virus could complicate things. I think at some point the players are leadership of all sporting events in our country need to say "poop or get off the pot". There is NO WAY that the leagues would go two seasons without play...that simply would never happen, not just from a business perspective but from a livelihood prospective of the players and everyone else involved in the league. I still think that they play this year. I think that the likelihood of them playing with or without a vaccine in 2021 is pretty much 10

Edited by sammymvpknight
edited because of typos. need more coffee
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

disband both teams to never play football again.

I'd say the same about Philly, but I also argue that what they're doing isn't exactly "playing football" most of the time...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

It will be decades before the true death rate is known. And it will be exponentially higher than any of the current estimates. From the outset there were indications of lung scarring among survivors, even from young survivors. I watched a panel of doctors discuss this way back in March. You could tell by the look on their faces that what they were seeing on the scans was ominous down the road. 

Young people are kidding themselves if they think this is no big deal simply because they can thwart it off now. These are the only organs you'll ever own.

I have always looked at it this way, as a handicapper: If this hasn't happened in a full century, that's all you need to know. The extreme is going to prevail. Anyone who errs high is going to be correct every step of the way and anyone who errs low is going to play the fool. 

From anecdotes I have read on many sites for weeks, Texans have been dismissive and erring low. I am not surprised by these numbers. 

We are in early stages of this

I don't want to get too off the topic of football, but it's sort of hard to take your points seriously when you base your positions on the triple threat of (1) reading doctor facial expressions, (2) the gambler's fallacy, and (3) mistaking the plural of anecdotes for data. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

Anyone acting like there won’t be football this year is in denial. This isn’t to say that the NFL is going to throw caution to the wind, but whether it's full stadiums, half stadiums, or empty stadiums, make no mistake; the season will be played on schedule. 

I dont understand the confidence. In a world where the NBA and NHL both shut down and the NBA is trying to get things restarted only to have a mini player mutiny begin to bubble up, the NHL has a plan with no agreement to play, and the MLB is nowhere near even starting to play, why is the NFL immune? What makes the NFL so different where every other major American sport is struggling in the environment the world is in will go on completely on schedule and without a hitch? 

Again, I am not saying the season won't happen or will happen. Really all I am saying, given the lack of proof of concept to anything but disarray from major sports, is that it is naive to be 100% confident there will be a season, especially an on schedule no interruptions season. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

make no mistake; the season will be played on schedule. 

Its a novel virus and a novel situation, not exactly the best scenario to speak in absolutes.  There's a very real chance that the NFL season will be stopped, paused or re-scheduled at some point between August- January and the League set the season schedule to accommodate those potential scenarios.
The league spent a ton of time & money planning for these interruptions, its the prudent thing to do
They'll certainly give it their best shot and some games will be played - beyond that - nobody really knows how this will all unfold.
Hoping for the best, but that's all it is right now - hope. The NFL gets the benefit of watching how it works for NBA and they'll adjust accordingly

• Like 2

I think for this season you have to really prepare back ups with real reps unlike most years where starters get 90% of in season reps and everyone else watches.   You could have a scenario where you lose 8 starters on one side of the ball day or 2 before the game.   And for following 3 weeks or so as they are quarantined.   

If they have just been watching starters all week in practice you are toast for first week.

You may have to consider how you structure your practice squad too.  You may not want to stock it with all young high ceiling guys, but with some guys who can provide some real depth.   You may need it.     

I would be running full out 1st and 2nd teams interchanging in practice on each side of ball.   

Also are covid infected players on a modified IR so you could restock roster if you need to in a pinch?   Do they need to negotiate a new Covid rule?   They use same principals as concussion protocol on an individual basis?    

My prediction is by Fall they say you can go to games, but you have to wear masks and get your temp taken on way in.  Any one with a temp would be turned away.

Of course when flu season hits in late Fall all bets may be off.   

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I dont understand the confidence. In a world where the NBA and NHL both shut down and the NBA is trying to get things restarted only to have a mini player mutiny begin to bubble up, the NHL has a plan with no agreement to play, and the MLB is nowhere near even starting to play, why is the NFL immune? What makes the NFL so different where every other major American sport is struggling in the environment the world is in will go on completely on schedule and without a hitch? 

Again, I am not saying the season won't happen or will happen. Really all I am saying, given the lack of proof of concept to anything but disarray from major sports, is that it is naive to be 100% confident there will be a season, especially an on schedule no interruptions season. 

Well the NFL's season wasn't stopped mid-season with a new virus that we didn't have a clue about. The NFL is in a different situation. They have more time. I don't think it's naive at all. Am I 100% sure of anything? Well aside from death & taxes, no. But if anyone wants to do a sig bet, let me know. :D