Training Camp Thread

doumeyer

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

The competition at Corner and Receiver is going to fun to watch. We don’t have much top end depth but a lot of guys competing for reps and snaps. 

I hope the OL gets tested by the D-Line specifically in the run game to push them to be great. Will help Bell get going. He averaged 2.2 yards after initial contact last year and rushed for 3.2 yards per carry. That means the OL only got 1 yard of initial push. If they can up that to 2 yards initial push and Bell gets closer to 2.5 yards after contact then the run game will help open things up for Sam. 

I think the WR depth chart is rather set.

Perriman, Mims, Crowder (Crowder is really the 1, but he will be in the slot), Doctson, Smith, Berrios

I'm glad that the Jamal Adams soap opera is done with, we were not winning with him and we are not winning without him. But the future of this team is set up better for Joe Douglas to correctly construct a football team the right away. 

If Adams wanted to be here, I'd keep him but the guy had negative energy and wants the easy way and wants to be handed to a winning team because hes mentally fragile and can't stomach to be on a team and lead them to winning. 

Our safeties are still relatively good. Marcus Maye is a good player, McDougald won't be a bad SS for us and Ashytn Davis is really talented. 

We have lots of competition on this team, sucks there are no PS games. That sucks because we have  a lot of competition and players that would benefit from it. IMO it was pointless to cancel those games but have a regular season, what is the difference? 

I think our team will be relatively competitive, but still pieces away from a winner. And I am not sold on Adam Gase as the HC, even though I like a lot of the coaching staff like our ST coach and DC. 

Sam Darnold is the man and I want him to show that he can be a consistent QB and is the solution, not the problem. I believe in him and hes going to be the face of the franchise. Chris Herndon staying healthy will be big for him, and I hope Denzel Mims surprises people and is a good WR right away. 

I see the starting OL shaping up to be LT-Becton LG-Lewis C-McGovern RG-Winters RT-Fant 

Edoga as the main backup OT, and Van Roten and Clark backup OG. Van Roten will end up starting as Lewis and Winters are undependable with injuries. 

I hate our pass rush on defense, hopefully Q comes up big this season. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I think the WR depth chart is rather set.

Perriman, Mims, Crowder (Crowder is really the 1, but he will be in the slot), Doctson, Smith, Berrios

Hard to say Doctson or Smith is locked in.  Doctson could easily get beat out if someone like Cager flashes.

14 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Hard to say Doctson or Smith is locked in.  Doctson could easily get beat out if someone like Cager flashes.

I think the lack of preseason reps will hurt UDFA receivers. It’s vital Sam gets reps with guys will actually play since he won’t get PS game snaps. That means the higher up on the initial depth chart you are the better. Cager will really have to shine to make the team. 

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I think the lack of preseason reps will hurt UDFA receivers. It’s vital Sam gets reps with guys will actually play since he won’t get PS game snaps. That means the higher up on the initial depth chart you are the better. Cager will really have to shine to make the team. 

I think the lack of preseason games will hurt all teams. It would not surprise me at all if the caliber of play in the NFL drops dramatically this year. I think we will see a lot of higher scoring games. And i am sure there will be a ton more penalties also this year.

Edited by doumeyer

34 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

I think the lack of preseason games will hurt all teams. It would not surprise me at all if the caliber of play in the NFL drops dramatically this year. I think we will see a lot of higher scoring games. And i am sure there will be a ton more penalties also this year.

Interesting. I  think that the lack of PA games will hurt the Offense more than the defense league wide.  You have the over and  I will take the under. Lol 

4 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

What has Docton really done though?  He's basically in the same spot. 

8 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

What has Docton really done though?  He's basically in the same spot. 

He's a vet, more NFL experience will help him adjust faster. Everything Cager does in camp matters, the learning curve, especially in a Gase offense will all the checks and post snap options will be a lot and without live game reps it will be another obstacle for him to overcome. Just little things like that. 

Smith is the guy I'm watching because he's got a year in the system, developed chemistry with Darnold already. He might be the one to hit the ground running. 

PFF had ranked us the 4th best Safety duo with Adams and Maye and Seattle 9th with Diggs and McDougald. Overall I still think we have a top 10 Safety duo. 

Bradley McDougald, has sneakily been one of the best man-coverage safeties in the entire league over the last two seasons. Since 2018, McDougald's 85.4 man-coverage grade ranks fourth among the 104 safeties who have played at least 100 snaps of man coverage over that span, while his 62.7 passer rating allowed in man coverage ranks fifth among those who were targeted at least 20 times.

Maye has also graded above 70.0 in each of the last two seasons, and his 77.4 coverage grade in 2019 was good enough to rank 23rd among 100 qualifying safeties. Maye's 30.0% forced incompletion percentage last season tied Harrison Smith for fourth-best among qualifying safeties, while his 45.0% completion percentage allowed was second to only Earl Thomas III (38.5%). If Adams decides to remain in New York, he and Marcus Maye will continue to turn heads as one of the best safety pairings in the game.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

He’s done more than smith and berrios 

Or Perriman. In 2018 he led all Washington receivers in receptions. It was only 44 but after Smith went down there were a bunch of scrubs at QB. IF healthy, the 6’4” Doctson could be a steal

3 hours ago, Rich51 said:

Or Perriman. In 2018 he led all Washington receivers in receptions. It was only 44 but after Smith went down there were a bunch of scrubs at QB. IF healthy, the 6’4” Doctson could be a steal

Agreed. He's a big sleeper for me. 1 injury to that of Perriman or Mims and I think he's a starter for us. He has potential and has that similar skill set to that of Mims. But IMO just cant stay healthy and struggles to get seperation. His big pro as a prospect was winning 50/50 balls. And it hasn't transferred over well in the NFL. That and injuries have really slowed him down. But his 2017 and 2018 years weren't anything awful. He produced. Just not like you'd want a 1st rounder to. But guess what? He's not a 1st rounder for us, so there are no expectations. But purely on skill he's our 4th WR by a decent margin for me over Smith and Berrios.