Patriots sign QB Cam Newton

Apparition

3 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

There is an Athletic article with some inside sources, but its behind a pay wall so here the rotoworld blurb:

I don’t buy this. They brought in Cam because there is a mountain of uncertainty surrounding Stidham’s play, or else they could have brought in any old QB to be the back up. Newton has serious, high-end starting potential. He’s the guy if Stidham fails to meet expectations.

Edited by SmittyBacall
  • Like 3

I love this for a number of reasons. First, I'm a Cam supporter so I'm very happy to see that he's getting another chance to start and lead a team. Second, I think Cam can be just good enough to ensure the Patriots aren't in position to draft one of the top QBs from the 2021 class, while also not turning the Patriots into a legitimate championship threat in the AFC. 

For any Patriots fan who wanted a more immediate rebuild/reload approach, this isn't it. For any Patriots fan who simply wants to remain competitive and potentially reach the playoffs this year, this should be seen as good news. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

I think Cam can be just good enough to ensure the Patriots aren't in position to draft one of the top QBs from the 2021 class

I dont think you had to worry about that either way, as much as I was/am pro full rebuild, there are still too many really good vets on this team to do that. The defense should remain very strong. They are capable of giving this team at least 6 wins on their own. With Cam healthy I think this team caps out at 10 wins. Without him, I still think the bottom is 6 wins. 

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

I dont think you had to worry about that either way, as much as I was/am pro full rebuild, there are still too many really good vets on this team to do that. The defense should remain very strong. They are capable of giving this team at least 6 wins on their own. With Cam healthy I think this team caps out at 10 wins. Without him, I still think the bottom is 6 wins. 

As long as Cam is healthy, I could the Pats getting more than 10 wins. If they can get 10 wins with Matt Cassell, i'm sure they could get more with Newton.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

As long as Cam is healthy, I could the Pats getting more than 10 wins. If they can get 10 wins with Matt Cassell, i'm sure they could get more with Newton.

That Cassell team was almost a carbon copy of the 19-1 juggernaut. This is not that. Cam wont have a prime Randy Moss and Wes Welker covering up his inconsistencies and making him look better than he is.  

1 hour ago, SaveOurSonics said:

I love this for a number of reasons. First, I'm a Cam supporter so I'm very happy to see that he's getting another chance to start and lead a team. Second, I think Cam can be just good enough to ensure the Patriots aren't in position to draft one of the top QBs from the 2021 class, while also not turning the Patriots into a legitimate championship threat in the AFC. 

For any Patriots fan who wanted a more immediate rebuild/reload approach, this isn't it. For any Patriots fan who simply wants to remain competitive and potentially reach the playoffs this year, this should be seen as good news. 

As a relatively high stakes fantasy footballer who has stakes in Claypool I'm also happy to see this. The Steelers were considered an obvious landing spot - Phew

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

32 teams, one starting QB per team... divide that number by 2, gives me 16. So... top 10-15 is literally "average to above average".

Do you need me to buy you a calculator, or something? Perhaps an abacus? Maybe a quick tutorial on MS Excel?

You called healthy Cam Newton top 10-15 then said he probably has never been top 10 except for one season... so I am confused bro.

Love how they strategically announced this before the sanctions, but I love the move. They were waiting in the bushes the whole time, to be honest, I never really cared for the Patriots but have a lot of respect for them for this one.

Honestly, If this is successful, there should be several GMs that should get fired when they had the opportunity to.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

You're either splitting hairs or trolling. Saying a QB is "not top 10" but is "10-15" makes perfect sense to people who understand context. No one says "Top 9".

I just don't understand why you would one page say one thing then several pages later say something counter to it.

18 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I just don't understand why you would one page say one thing then several pages later say something counter to it.

Youre really reaching because of one number?

He probably meant 11-15.   

• Like 2