NBA Passes Lottery Reform

RavensTillIDie

Lol. Petty.

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/09/28/nba-board-governors-tweak-league-draft-lottery-system#/

Under a new weighting system approved by the owners to take effect in 2019, the teams with the three worst records each will have a 14 percent chance of landing the No. 1 pick. Currently, there is an advantage to being the league’s most inept (or clever) bottom feeder – a 25 percent shot at that top pick. The odds for teams with the second- and third-worst finishers have been 19.9 percent and 15.6 percent respectively.

I didn't bother looking over the possible reform when it was brought up months ago because I didn't think it would pass and much to my surprise it did go through, however, after looking it over I can see why it passed because it won't change anything all that much. Meh. 

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Do you think this helps fix it much?

Tanking will always happen.  Whether teams can improve their odds by 25% or 1%, teams are going to lose to increase their chances of getting a higher pick.  As long as the order of the draft is based on being bad, teams will still try to be bad to add talent.

This new system is going to incentivize a lot of late lottery teams to tank hard.

45 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Tanking will always happen.  Whether teams can improve their odds by 25% or 1%, teams are going to lose to increase their chances of getting a higher pick.  As long as the order of the draft is based on being bad, teams will still try to be bad to add talent.

This new system is going to incentivize a lot of late lottery teams to tank hard.

That's where my thoughts are as well.  Those teams who are a fringe playoff team are going to look at the possibility of getting swept and a small chance of winning the #1 overall pick.  And that's worth missing the playoffs more often than not.

Just seems like more incentive for fringe teams to tank later in the season than before.   Getting into that top 6 is more meaningful.  I guess it helps sway the full season, Sam Hinke style, where you're just tanking out of the gates, but if you're in that 9,10 area, why not bomb the end of the season, get into the top 6, and let the balls bounce?

Archived