Chiefs sign Mahomes to 10 year extension

Hawkfan191

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

That’s not true. Goff had $57M GTD when he signed. The rest of his GTD dollars were, as you say, “not real guarantees”. 

And an injury guarantee is not the same as a signing bonus. The $140M number is just for injury. There’s likely a signing bonus and guarantees in the first couple years.

Yeah I want to see all of the deals.

I hate how NFL journalists announce contracts. They'd be better off just not saying any of the details, because 90% of the time they use the word "guarantee", it's not actually guaranteed money. Makes things needlessly complicated.

Just now, Boltstrikes said:

As crazy as the deal is... probably all of them

I originally typed 'all of them', but then didn't want to deal with getting quotes from salty Ravens fans for the next month and a half.

The owners payed Goodell $40MM/year, so yeah...they'd fall over themselves for the right to pay Mahomes $5M/year more.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah I want to see all of the deals.

I hate how NFL journalists announce contracts. They'd be better off just not saying any of the details, because 90% of the time they use the word "guarantee", it's not actually guaranteed money. Makes things needlessly complicated.

Yeah, it’s a little dicey. Even after the details come out it can be tricky. 

He obviously doesn't care about winning, right @rfournier103? I mean you certainly wouldn't want Mahomes on your team after this. Lucky you for avoiding this selfish player on your team.

Great for Mahomes. I love when players set new precedents. I'm shocked at the length, but it seems he gave himself some outs just in case.

Edited by seminoles1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I originally typed 'all of them', but then didn't want to deal with getting quotes from salty Ravens fans for the next month and a half.

The owners payed Goodell $40MM/year, so yeah...they'd fall over themselves for the right to pay Mahomes $5M/year more.

Isn't it 10 more a season? He's making 503 million over 10 years 

1 minute ago, 49erurtaza said:

Isn't it 10 more a season? He's making 503 million over 10 years 

$477MM if you count the "guarantee mechanisms" (please god let that phrase die). Discount it a little bit for being backloaded and it's probably ~$45MM/year NPV. But yeah if you wanna say $10M, that's fine too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

$45M avg for a QB is just stupid. Good for Mahomes but if people really think this isn't gonna hurt the longevity of being able to keep top tier talent on the roster they're crazy. 

He's the most talented QB I've ever seen, and QB is the most important position on the field.  It is a crazy amount of money though. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

$45M avg for a QB is just stupid. Good for Mahomes but if people really think this isn't gonna hurt the longevity of being able to keep top tier talent on the roster they're crazy. 

Mahommes gives you a greater chance to win an SB than whatever other players you would sign with the cap space.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kirill said:

It's not tied to a percentage of the cap? So scrub QB's will be getting handed out more money annually than Mahomes is making in a few years.

What an absolute steal. Brett Veach is the best GM in the league.

He has 10 million more than the next QB. Nobody is surpassing him yearly until at least the back half of the contract. Hell for all we know the cap might not go up much due to Covid. Insanely smart deal.

36 minutes ago, Drained said:

Slightly happy though cause Deshaun deserves to be paid and locking him down for 10 years instead of 3 is definitely what I want... oh yeah and I'll finally be able to buy his jersey, not making the same mistake I did with Hop.

Deshaun ain’t worth that contract 10 years or not. Only Mahomes can even negotiate that