Around the League 2020

Bobby816

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

For what it’s worth... Wentz might be on the brink of getting benched. High draft pick that’s already gotten his money and had a hand in a SB winning team.

Wow that's crazy.

If we are gonna suffer I want this year to mean something like landing Lawrence.  I can't take another 5 win season and the 6th pick.  Clean house except Boyer and bring in a true "brilliant" OC.  A spend every last asset to build the OL and weapons.

I don't care if our defense is ranked dead last.  Do everything in our power to make sure we have one of the best OL and set of weapons in the league.  That way Lawrence can succeed for a very long time.  Once we have an offense who can drop 30 consistently on any given Sunday we then then turn our attention to the defense.

If I have to suffer though this it better be worth it come 2021.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Wow that's crazy.

If we are gonna suffer I want this year to mean something like landing Lawrence.  I can't take another 5 win season and the 6th pick.  Clean house except Boyer and bring in a true "brilliant" OC.  A spend every last asset to build the OL and weapons.

I don't care if our defense is ranked dead last.  Do everything in our power to make sure we have one of the best OL and set of weapons in the league.  That way Lawrence can succeed for a very long time.  Once we have an offense who can drop 30 consistently on any given Sunday we then then turn our attention to the defense.

Defense is overrated in today's NFL. As long as you can consistently score, you are going to be a contender. When I think of the Chiefs, Seahawks, Saints, Packers, Buccs, I don't think of great defenses - I think of great offenses who break teams by threatening to score any minute. If opposing offenses don't maximize each drive, they soon find themselves underwater. They have to abandon the run game and become one-dimensional.

12 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Wow that's crazy.

It’s for me too early to start really thinking QB. It’s just in the back of my mind. For team building we need to hope Darnold shows enough that we like him going forward. I get we have a lack of weapons and the interior of the OL hasn’t looked good. But he just hasn’t looked good. For him he might not have the 14 games to prove us wrong. His string might be tighter than that. Gase might pull him as I said once Flacco is healthy if Darnold continues like he has. It’s a HUGE decision. And as I said I don’t “think” it will come to that. But it is something to think about. But as you stated... if we are drafting 1 or 2, odds are Darnold looked bad or got benched. So it’s be hard not to seriously think about Lawrence or Fields.

3 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Defense is overrated in today's NFL. As long as you can consistently score, you are going to be a contender. When I think of the Chiefs, Seahawks, Saints, Packers, Buccs, I don't think of great defenses - I think of great offenses who break teams by threatening to score any minute. If opposing offenses don't maximize each drive, they soon find themselves underwater. They have to abandon the run game and become one-dimensional.

Been saying this for 5 years. NFL has catered to this Fantasy Football NFL. They want points. Building through the defense doesn’t work anymore. It’s pissing into the wind. Build a top offense and it can compensate for a bad D. It doesn’t work in modern NFL the other way.

26 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s for me too early to start really thinking QB. It’s just in the back of my mind. For team building we need to hope Darnold shows enough that we like him going forward. I get we have a lack of weapons and the interior of the OL hasn’t looked good. But he just hasn’t looked good. For him he might not have the 14 games to prove us wrong. His string might be tighter than that. Gase might pull him as I said once Flacco is healthy if Darnold continues like he has. It’s a HUGE decision. And as I said I don’t “think” it will come to that. But it is something to think about. But as you stated... if we are drafting 1 or 2, odds are Darnold looked bad or got benched. So it’s be hard not to seriously think about Lawrence or Fields.

Oh believe me the last thing I want is to move Sam and start over again but reality may be setting in rather quickly.  I said I'd wait until week 8 before I freaked out but I don't know if I can hold off much longer.

I'd love to say come week 8 that Sam is the guy and we just need to build the rest of the O around him.  I'm having a hard time seeing that come to fruition though.

Edited by Rockice_8

38 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Been saying this for 5 years. NFL has catered to this Fantasy Football NFL. They want points. Building through the defense doesn’t work anymore. It’s pissing into the wind. Build a top offense and it can compensate for a bad D. It doesn’t work in modern NFL the other way.

What is the old saying the best defensive is a top offensive, how true that is that.

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

Well its FITZ being FITZ again he was perfect on the first drive and ended it with a TD pass. To think some of you people want to run him out of town on a rail. o I JUST REMEMBER i was one of those guys.

We did need to run him out. And we did the right thing in trading up and getting Darnold. We’ve just failed to give him talent. It took us to year 3 to even think about building him an OL and we still haven’t provided him with WRs.

8 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

We did need to run him out. And we did the right thing in trading up and getting Darnold. We’ve just failed to give him talent. It took us to year 3 to even think about building him an OL and we still haven’t provided him with WRs.

Of course what you say is true. What is crazy is I have been a NFL fan since 1953 i was very young, and I never saw a QB like Fitz who puts up big numbers, but every team he has been on has never  even been close to being a winner. He still has that INT problem. 

Edited by doumeyer

14 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Of course what you say is true. What is crazy is I have been a NFL fan since 1953 i was very young, and I never saw a QB like Fitz who puts up big numbers, but every team he has been on has never  even been close to being a winner. He still has that INT problem. 

He plays in spurts. And if you get caught up into his stats and the highs. You love him. But his career shows that he will have really bad lows. And you just can’t have that with a QB. Surely good QBs have a bad game or 2. But nothing like Fitz has had in his career. He right now is just a bridge QB for Miami until they feel comfortable with Tua. He knows his role. And luckily for him, his role is bigger then he thought in a lot of scenarios. Which ha sled to him making a good amount of money in his career at a older age.