Around the League 2020

Bobby816

13 hours ago, drew39k said:

Twice tonight I've seen Mahommes run out of bounds for a loss instead of throwing it away on the sideline. Sam got roasted for doing that same thing earlier this season. 

Not saying Sam is on the same level as Mahommes, but I think people are much to critical of a guy playing with zero talent around him.

I only watched a little of the game and did not see the plays you reference.  However, if there was a wide open WR on the sideline to which Mahomes was running with no DB between the WR and the endzone, it is not the same situation as Sam.  Sam had an easy touchdown against Buffalo and he blew it.  I do not think Mahomes would blow it.

For what it's worth Q is living up to his draft selection.  Quickly becoming one of the best IDL in the NFL.  He is the only IDL in the NFL in the top 10 in both pass rush and run stuff win rate.  Nearly top 5 in both (currently 6th in run stop) categories.  Kid looks like a cornerstone piece in the making.

Edited by Rockice_8

4 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

For what it's worth Q is living up to his draft selection.  Quickly becoming one of the best IDL in the NFL.  He is the only IDL in the NFL in the top 10 in both pass rush and run stuff win rate.  Nearly top 5 in both (currently 6th in run stop) categories.  Kid looks like a cornerstone piece in the making.

I think Q will be very good. I don't see him at Aaron Donald level but a few steps below is very good and I see him right about there. You have to get Gase and Williams out and get a HC that is a young mind for the O and a Vet coach for the DC. I look at the Rams with McVey and Wade Phillips. The steelers when they picked up Tomlin they had the **** LeBeau as their DC guy. I know this would probably not happen but I would love for the Jets to pair Rex Ryan as the DC with a young minded HC. 

41 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

He’s been a force when he’s lined up at NT or 3T, don’t understand why Gregg still try’s to use him at DE

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

He has been good this year. But still should have never been the pick. Josh Allen is still better

52 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He has been good this year. But still should have never been the pick. Josh Allen is still better

That's certainly debatable. You can argue positional value for sure but Q should have 3 sacks of not for that ticky tack roughing call against Den.  He is an elite run stuffer and on his way to double digits sacks.  They are both good players but of Q becomes a double digit sack guy from the interior along with anchoring the run defense those guys are super rare.

13 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

That's certainly debatable. You can argue positional value for sure but Q should have 3 sacks of not for that ticky tack roughing call against Den.  He is an elite run stuffer and on his way to double digits sacks.  They are both good players but of Q becomes a double digit sack guy from the interior along with anchoring the run defense those guys are super rare.

We already had a good interior DL before Q

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

We already had a good interior DL before Q

Did we though?  We had some run stuffers but none that could get to the passer and that has nothing to with Allen being better than Q.  If you were arguing fit then sure I get that.  

I'll take interior pressure all day over edge pressure that ruins a QBs day to have someone in his face consistently.  We never had a guy that could get 10+ sacks for the DT spot just guys that eat space.

I wanted Allen too but we should all be really happy to have Q.  Despite our positional need at the time it looks like he is going to be special.

I really think we should transition to a 4-2-5 base defense.  JFM looks like he is coming into his own as a 43 DE.  We see what Q can do so why not put him in a position to attack more.  Between Shep, Phillips, and Fatukasi we have great rotational depth for the other DT spot.  Huff and Basham are a bit undersized but could be good rotational edges on the weak side at least for now until we can improve that position.

Mosley is coming back and hopefully Cashman can stay healthy because they fit nicely in this defense.

It's time to move on from Jenkins and Anderson, maybe add some more speed to the ILB position, and get a true #1 CB and maybe we can see this defense bounce back next year.

• Like 1

If Q can continue to play well from here on out, I will then state we chose wisely.  So far it has only been 4 games.  The "other" Josh Allen made his case last year.  I still would have preferred "other" to Q, but lets see what happens going forward.

Mac was a big time believer in being strong up the middle, at least on D, because he ignored the O.  He valued iDL, ILB, Safety as evidence by his high draft picks.  It is not a bad philosophy, but not at the expense of avoiding all other areas of this team, hence his undoing.  I, too, think there is more value in having an iDL that is able to get to the ball behind the LOS rather than the edge.  It is the whole "shortest distance, straight line" thing.  A iDL who can do that is rare (except the iDL of Jets opponents because our iOL sucks). An iDL who can dominate is rarer than and EDGE and thus more valuable.  Maybe we have one, maybe we don't.  Time will tell.  We still need that EDGE, though.

5 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Did we though?  We had some run stuffers but none that could get to the passer and that has nothing to with Allen being better than Q.  If you were arguing fit then sure I get that.  

I'll take interior pressure all day over edge pressure that ruins a QBs day to have someone in his face consistently.  We never had a guy that could get 10+ sacks for the DT spot just guys that eat space.

I wanted Allen too but we should all be really happy to have Q.  Despite our positional need at the time it looks like he is going to be special.

I really think we should transition to a 4-2-5 base defense.  JFM looks like he is coming into his own as a 43 DE.  We see what Q can do so why not put him in a position to attack more.  Between Shep, Phillips, and Fatukasi we have great rotational depth for the other DT spot.  Huff and Basham are a bit undersized but could be good rotational edges on the weak side at least for now until we can improve that position.

Mosley is coming back and hopefully Cashman can stay healthy because they fit nicely in this defense.

It's time to move on from Jenkins and Anderson, maybe add some more speed to the ILB position, and get a true #1 CB and maybe we can see this defense bounce back next year.

As I said when we drafted him. To ignore offense and edge. He was going to have to be near Aaron Donald good for me to like the pick down the line. And while he’s having a good start to his 2nd year.... he’s not troubling offenses enough to ignore what we needed in the draft that year.

22 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

As I said when we drafted him. To ignore offense and edge. He was going to have to be near Aaron Donald good for me to like the pick down the line. And while he’s having a good start to his 2nd year.... he’s not troubling offenses enough to ignore what we needed in the draft that year.

There wasn't a offensive player worthy at that spot so it was really Q or Allen.  Most including myself wanted Allen for positional value but Q is living up to his draft spot is all I'm saying.  He's a legit 10+ sack guy from the interior and looks to be a franchise cornerstone on defense. 

Allen looks really good too so we could have used the OLB position more I understand.  It's just nice to have Q stepping up and not having another run stuffer DT taken in the top 10.

Edited by Rockice_8

4 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

How did the guys who replaced Robby do for us today????

I feel like this is a bad take. The guy isn't playing because he is hurt. Trying to compare the two when one is out with an injury is not really a valid comp. If he looks like trash when he comes back, by all means, go to town. Until then, you cant really do much because you cannot predict injuries.