Around the League 2020

Bobby816

12 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Just learn that Falcons may not stay commitment to Matt Ryan.  If so, he could end up with Colts or wherever.   Falcons have to win more games than Jets to ensure the T Law sweepstake.

I don't know how they intend to get rid of him.  He will have a $40M cap number next year. $40M for an age 35 QB!  If they cut him they will add another $9+M in dead money to their already -$37M making them $46M over the cap in 2021. Atlanta, Philly, NO are just going to have to suck it up and plan on being the Jets for the next year or two.

15 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I absolutely hate the notion that because previous regimes were terrible at drafting we shouldn't try to build our team the correct way.

I also hate the notion that because previous Jets' GM's failed in drafting, our current GM with one decent draft under his belt will draft horribly as well.  Good thing Thomas Edison did not think that way or we would still not have a light bulb.

23 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Sorry but there is so much wrong with this post.  BUF team is built through the draft.  Their foundation is through the draft.  They didn't get where they are by trading picks for players.

I absolutely hate the notion that because previous regimes were terrible at drafting we shouldn't try to build our team the correct way.  Every single successful organization builds through the draft.  There is literally no other way to do it.  JDs draft record has nothing to do with Mac unless the Johnson's are influencing picks which there is zero indication they are.  Let's just cut Mims now because 7 years ago we draft a bust WR is round 2.

Back to Buf, yes they made a great trade to try and take the next step but in what world is the Jets situation and the Buf situation similar?  Buf had the foundation and made a move for a guy they thought would put them over the top.  The Jets trading premium picks for high salary players is a terrible idea.

If you are talking about moving a 6th for a guy that's one thing but anything in the top half of the draft is the last thing this franchise should be thinking.  This team need star power but it has to come through the draft.  The truly great players rarely hit the trade market.

I agree to an extent. I’m not at all saying trade every pick you have in the draft. But we have nearly 90mill in cap space probably next year. So let’s say we trade our 2nd for Michael Thomas. Do you know how small the odds are that that 2nd rounder will be as good as Michael Thomas? I bet you it’s less than a few percent. Do we need to worry about his salary? No, bc we don’t draft good and have absolutely nobody to pay. That’s just an example. Sub in any other proven star player that a team needs to shed cap space on and throw their name in there.

As you stated you’d throw a 6th rounder to get a guy. And you get exactly that. An average talent (generally speaking). We don’t need average talent. We need proven guys in their prime and draft picks. Their is a way to do both with a lot of draft picks this next year.

18 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I agree to an extent. I’m not at all saying trade every pick you have in the draft. But we have nearly 90mill in cap space probably next year. So let’s say we trade our 2nd for Michael Thomas. Do you know how small the odds are that that 2nd rounder will be as good as Michael Thomas? I bet you it’s less than a few percent. Do we need to worry about his salary? No, bc we don’t draft good and have absolutely nobody to pay. That’s just an example. Sub in any other proven star player that a team needs to shed cap space on and throw their name in there.

As you stated you’d throw a 6th rounder to get a guy. And you get exactly that. An average talent (generally speaking). We don’t need average talent. We need proven guys in their prime and draft picks. Their is a way to do both with a lot of draft picks this next year.

There are times when good players get traded for peanuts.  Those trades happen all the time if the plalyer wants out or the team is cap strapped.  I mean we did just cut Bell.  If a good player like Thomas really hits the market you are going to be paying a premium to get him.  Just looks at what Adams fetched.  He was one of those rare guys to hit the market and SEA paid for him.  Again another team looking for one guy to out them over the top.

This team needs homegrown talent first and foremost.  Until we have a foundation we aren't buyers.  Unless its a steal of a deal as I said we aren't in the market for coughing up draft picks.

The trade you suggested is just unrealistic.  When guys like that hit the market they don't go at a discount.  We should be using our cap but to target young up and coming FAs that we think to blossom here.  I think JD found one in Fant who could be a long term RT.  I'm down with ARob if he hits the market.  A top WR in his prime for our young QB sounds like a smart investment we don't have to cough up a 2nd or 3rd to get him.

Edited by Rockice_8

43 minutes ago, xrade said:

I don't know how they intend to get rid of him.  He will have a $40M cap number next year. $40M for an age 35 QB!  If they cut him they will add another $9+M in dead money to their already -$37M making them $46M over the cap in 2021. Atlanta, Philly, NO are just going to have to suck it up and plan on being the Jets for the next year or two.

Falcons can wait until after June 1st to trade him.  After Mack being retired?, Julio and Ryan are only elders on the roster.  It is easy to think about replacing them with a couple high picks. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

We really only have $70M in space right now.  I am sure it will grow when we cut some dead weight.  While I love Thomas is he going to get us to the SB in the next two years?  His $20+M cap hit as he enters his age 30 season just when we may be ready to contend may very well be an anchor.  If our team was better than it is right now, I would say go for it, but we just need so much including a new coaching staff that I can't see paying an age 29 WR $20M in 2023.  2023 is when I predict the Jets will be ready to dominate.

For Yankee fans, this would be akin to signing Stanton.  He has been on the team for two years now and we still haven't even reach the division series. When were the Yanks at there best?  When Jeter, Mo, Bernie, Posada, Pettitte formed the core and were supplemented by Brosius, O'Neil, and a slew of pitchers.  Build through the draft, develop, and supplement. Boom!  114 Wins and a WS.

53 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Falcons can wait until after June 1st to trade him.  After Mack being retired?, Julio and Ryan are only elders on the roster.  It is easy to think about replacing them with a couple high picks. 

Why would a team trade for a 35 yo QB on the downside with a high cap hit?  Legit questions.  What would his cap hit be if he was traded after June 1?  What would the Falcons savings be?  Unfortunately, OTC does not make those adjustments for 2021, yet.

31 minutes ago, xrade said:

Why would a team trade for a 35 yo QB on the downside with a high cap hit?  Legit questions.  What would his cap hit be if he was traded after June 1?  What would the Falcons savings be?  Unfortunately, OTC does not make those adjustments for 2021, yet.

There is a pulldown option on dead money column.   23m saving for 2021 and then you have to figure the rest of dead money out for 2022.

Then new team can restructure Ryan's contract to fit their 3 year plan. whatever.

Edited by JetsandI

3 hours ago, xrade said:

We really only have $70M in space right now.  I am sure it will grow when we cut some dead weight.  While I love Thomas is he going to get us to the SB in the next two years?  His $20+M cap hit as he enters his age 30 season just when we may be ready to contend may very well be an anchor.  If our team was better than it is right now, I would say go for it, but we just need so much including a new coaching staff that I can't see paying an age 29 WR $20M in 2023.  2023 is when I predict the Jets will be ready to dominate.

For Yankee fans, this would be akin to signing Stanton.  He has been on the team for two years now and we still haven't even reach the division series. When were the Yanks at there best?  When Jeter, Mo, Bernie, Posada, Pettitte formed the core and were supplemented by Brosius, O'Neil, and a slew of pitchers.  Build through the draft, develop, and supplement. Boom!  114 Wins and a WS.

Yes we have several obvious cuts that will actual take us to 90-100mill.

4 hours ago, xrade said:

I think you are underestimating the value in having a talented receiver in the development process for our QB and other WRs.

Bringing in Thomas gives the QB an outlet that will not only win his matchups frequently, but is also capable of saving bad throws which brings up completion percentage and confidence and reduces turnovers, but Also brings the ability get win 50/50 balls like the Td Murray got against us for Hopkins. It also forces defenders to use two players to cover him, which eliminates potential cb/safety blitzes, which can be hard for a young or rookie qb to pick up and allows for more 1 on 1 coverages for other wrs or potentially uncovered rbs or tes.

Imo if your trying to build a team and culture, that kind of addition is worth a large cap hit at the end for 1 year.

54 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

We should surround a rookie QB with veteran talent. 

You have to be able to identify talent in order to around a QB with talent. I think we don’t know how to do either. 
Im scared we don’t value weapons. And bc if that we don’t have the ability to identify it on top of that.