Around the League 2020

Bobby816

17 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Better to have both in hand than neither. You do not get rid of Darnold until Lawrence is a Jet.

Problem is with Darnold we will always have a chance of winning a game or two especially later in the year if teams are not in the playoff hunt or aren’t at full strength. Imagine going 0-14 or 0-13 but then winning the last few games and ending up back in limbo. I’d rather go full tank if that’s they way we are going, 

Edited by xenajets

14 hours ago, xenajets said:

Problem is with Darnold we will always have a chance of winning a game or two especially later in the year if teams are not in the playoff hunt or aren’t at full strength. Imagine going 0-14 or 0-13 but then winning the last few games and ending up back in limbo. I’d rather go full tank if that’s they way we are going, 

Then if Lawrence decides to stay in school or not play for us, we have no contingency plan.

4 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I'm not worried about Lawrence going back to school, I'm more worried about him pulling a Eli. 

But the back up plan has to be Fields if Darnold looks terrible throughout the year. 

If we trade out from 1 to 2 and still land Fields and a draft haul that could be the next best thing to drafting Lawrence and him being great.

56 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

If we trade out from 1 to 2 and still land Fields and a draft haul that could be the next best thing to drafting Lawrence and him being great.

I honestly think it's better. We would still get a top QB who would be #1 in any other draft and we get to add picks. Especially if Jax is the #2 team. Their additional pick with the pick we'll get from Darnold would be huge.  

3 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I honestly think it's better. We would still get a top QB who would be #1 in any other draft and we get to add picks. Especially if Jax is the #2 team. Their additional pick with the pick we'll get from Darnold would be huge.  

It's really hard to pass on Lawrence.  I really think both Lawrence and Fields are the best qb prospects in a long time especially Lawrence.  I really like Fields though too but man it's gonna be tough to pass on that kind of QB.  He legit could be the next Manning or Elway he's that good.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

It's really hard to pass on Lawrence.  I really think both Lawrence and Fields are the best qb prospects in a long time especially Lawrence.  I really like Fields though too but man it's gonna be tough to pass on that kind of QB.  He legit could be the next Manning or Elway he's that good.

I honestly don't think there is a wrong answer here, so I understand. But if Fields is the next Drew Brees, Watson, or Russell Wilson stats wise, I'd go with that if it comes with an extra high pick. It's hard for me to pass that up because I know we will still have a franchise QB that can win. 

3 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I honestly don't think there is a wrong answer here, so I understand. But if Fields is the next Drew Brees, Watson, or Russell Wilson stats wise, I'd go with that if it comes with an extra high pick. It's hard for me to pass that up because I know we will still have a franchise QB that can win. 

Yeah I get it I love Fields.  If we trade out and Fields bust and Lawrence is great that would terrible.  I agree though.  Can't go wrong with either one.

Just now, Rockice_8 said:

Yeah I get it I love Fields.  If we trade out and Fields bust and Lawrence is great that would terrible.  I agree though.  Can't go wrong with either one.

Same could happen either way. Law wouldn't be the first with the most hype to fall. It all depends on the scouting evaluation. They both still have a year to play out. We'll see how this will play out.

15 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Same could happen either way. Law wouldn't be the first with the most hype to fall. It all depends on the scouting evaluation. They both still have a year to play out. We'll see how this will play out.

Optics are different though.  You trade Payton/Elway away you look terrible if they turn out to be special.  If you take them and they bust it's not nearly as bad.  You know what I mean?  If everything goes perfect and you get multiple good picks and Fields is a star it's perfect scenario it's just that it's a big risk at the chance you are the team that traded away a future HOF QB.

1 minute ago, Rockice_8 said:

Optics are different though.  You trade Payton/Elway away you look terrible if they turn out to be special.  If you take them and they bust it's not nearly as bad.  You know what I mean?  If everything goes perfect and you get multiple good picks and Fields is a star it's perfect scenario it's just that it's a big risk at the chance you are the team that traded away a future HOF QB.

I understand, but we would also look bad if Law fall short and Fields light it up. It's all a big what if. My move would all depend on the evaluation from the scouts. In any other draft, Fields would have been the #1 pick. That's why I'm open to the idea of trading back to #2 as of right now. They still have a season to play out, so we'll see. I just haven't seen a play from Lawrence that Fields hasn't made. So it's closer to me than it is for others. 

Fields is the reason I'm stressed about the idea of Lawrence pulling a Eli. We would get all the jokes, but I think Fields has what it takes to be a special QB. 

23 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I understand, but we would also look bad if Law fall short and Fields light it up. It's all a big what if. My move would all depend on the evaluation from the scouts. In any other draft, Fields would have been the #1 pick. That's why I'm open to the idea of trading back to #2 as of right now. They still have a season to play out, so we'll see. I just haven't seen a play from Lawrence that Fields hasn't made. So it's closer to me than it is for others. 

Fields is the reason I'm stressed about the idea of Lawrence pulling a Eli. We would get all the jokes, but I think Fields has what it takes to be a special QB. 

No you don't look bad taking Lawrence.  Not one scout is taking Fields over Lawrence so you don't look bad taking a guy some consider the best prospect since Elway.  There is just no way too look bad even if he busts and Fields is great.  Without hindsight nobody is taking Fields over Lawrence.

The only solace is that of we miss on Lawrence somehow and pick 2 we still land a special QB.  We don't have the reputation to ever trade away Lawrence.  We'd be shredded by the media and fans for passing potentially a generational prospect.

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

No you don't look bad taking Lawrence.  Not one scout is taking Fields over Lawrence so you don't look bad taking a guy some consider the best prospect since Elway.  There is just no way too look bad even if he busts and Fields is great.  Without hindsight nobody is taking Fields over Lawrence.

The only solace is that of we miss on Lawrence somehow and pick 2 we still land a special QB.  We don't have the reputation to ever trade away Lawrence.  We'd be shredded by the media and fans for passing potentially a generational prospect.

At this point, if any QB struggle with us again, we're getting blamed. It doesn't matter. The joke rep we've built and maintained over the years leaves the door wide open for it. The Media will never say we made the right choice unless they play like it. lol

I'll say it like this, I hope we take Lawrence and it works out but I won't be mad if we trade back to the #2 or end up at #2 to select Fields with another high pick. I'm still nervous about him pulling a Eli, but I'd take him and not say a word. There's just no way I can get mad at the idea of coming away with another elite QB (Fields), additional picks, to go with the pick we will get for Darnold.