Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

51 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

24 teams lmao, god it's so stupid.

One of the garbage fire teams is gonna fluke into winning the cup too, I can feel it.

I'm fine with it. Weird situation. Different games played for different teams, etc. They are trying to do the best they can not to impact future events too

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm fine with it. Weird situation. Different games played for different teams, etc. They are trying to do the best they can not to impact future events too

Idk it just feels cheap. Like if a bottom 5 team wins the cup despite everything else is that really a legitimate title?

8 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Idk it just feels cheap. Like if a bottom 5 team wins the cup despite everything else is that really a legitimate title?

I mean, if a team gets beaten by a bottom 5 team in a 5 game series, do they really deserve to win? I say this as an Oiler fan fully expecting a playoff Kane, Keith, Toews and Crawford to give us all we can handle. A 3 week training camp too should help teams shake off all sorts of rust.

I do like the stipulation that if a lower seeded team beats you in the playoffs, you swap pick positions with them.

I've warmed up to it. A March madness type tournament could be good for the game, especially for new fans. Having multiple teams stuck in a few HUBs could lead itself to a few storylines too. My only real concern is the effect of it on next season. Starting the season in December as rumored is gonna compress a ton of games next season, increasing the risk of injury.

1 hour ago, flyers0909 said:

Can someone explain the lottery to me, of course the NHL made it as convoluted and unnecessary as possible and as a team with a first round bye I don't care to figure it out. 

basically, qualifying round doesn't count as the playoffs. If you lose, you qualify for the lotto, if you win your play in round, you are "in the playoffs" (important for conditional picks like Vancouver's which change hands on the basis of the playoffs). The "lotto" consists of picks 1-3 like previously, and the odds are still the same as they were in previous years. 

It's largely the same (picks 8-15 all basically have the same odds this year though because they are unknown teams at this juncture).  The one thing that is different is because of the play in round, we actually don't know who the other 8 teams in the lotto are (obviously still pending the qualifying round). So if one of those teams wins a top 3 pick (the 8 teams are currently only referred to teams a / b /c / etc, etc), the league basically has a second lotto draw for those 8 teams after they are determined from the qualifying round to see who actually won the pick. 

1 hour ago, Canadian Saint said:

Also regarding the draft lottery, I'm really hoping an unassigned team wins it. It would be great having that over the heads going into the play in, especially for Chicago and Montreal, considering they'd have the best subsequent odds of getting the top pick.

Was just gonna ask when they plan to play the next season.

Seeing how they can't even practice until July, I'd guess the season isn't done until September? 

8 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Was just gonna ask when they plan to play the next season.

Seeing how they can't even practice until July, I'd guess the season isn't done until September? 

Yeah so what I've read is they'll start a training camp early July for 3 weeks. Then the phase one draft lottery. Then the play in round starts. Playoffs occur and cup is handed in early September. Offseason. Draft and then free agency begin. Training camp for the following season starts in late November/December.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

Eichel sweepstakes. They are a coming.

No they're not. He's our franchise player. The owners might as well sell the team. 

He's frustrated with losing, who isn't in professional sports?

Are you expecting him to say things are positive in any form?

The entire city is frustrated with this hockey team.

1 hour ago, NickChowaniec said:

No they're not. He's our franchise player. The owners might as well sell the team. 

He's frustrated with losing, who isn't in professional sports?

Are you expecting him to say things are positive in any form?

The entire city is frustrated with this hockey team.

I truly hope he stays and you're right. For me I just think Buffalo has done him no favors when it comes to building a team around him(and this is coming from an Oilers fan who went through the same thing with McDavid). They've improved, but they still have so much to do. Development of guys like Mittelstadt haven't helped either. I don't think the optics are all that great after confirming Botterill is back for one more year, you have Eichel saying he is frustrated and Risto saying thing like "If they change things up I'm the one traded."

Again I really hope I'm wrong and he stays in Buffalo (Eichel + Dahlin should be great foundation), but if things don't turn around in a hurry, I could see him asking for a trade.

• Like 1