Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

3 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

They went with Kraken!!! Thank goodness it’s not sockeyes. Need the NHL to have some personality to attract new fans. 

So many easy slogans. Release the Kraken. Are you a Krak head? Arena is affectionately is called Krak house. 

Now you're just Kraken jokes!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Forge said:

I loved everything about the Seattle reveal. Love that they chose Kraken, love the logo, colors, unis...every bit of it. 

Compared to the marketing genius of Dan Snyder rebranding........

I kid, this was an awesome reveal.  The logo and color scheme are great.  Their Twitter bio is already trolling people as well.  

1 hour ago, Malfatron said:

okay, i have a dumb question

when hockey games start up on 8/1, its officially the playoffs, right?

are the regular season records added to with wins and losses like the nba restart is or no?

Not quite. So the NHL increased the number of teams who have a chance to get into the playoffs with playins, a best of 5 series for certain teams. Win 3 games in that series and you are in. It has a bunch of teams that were out (and I mean really out) of the playoff picture. So there are two conferences (East and West). The top 4 teams from each conference are already locked into the playoffs, the remaining 8 teams play the playins best of 5 schedule like I said. Afterwhich, the playoffs will proceed regularly.

As far as the NHL is concerned, the regular season is done and finished. Playin records won't be added to regular season W-L records.

• Like 1

The NHL killed the setup at least in Toronto so far.  I could probably do without the fake crowd noise but you kinda forget you're not watching a game at an at least mostly filled venue.  Them covering up all the empty seats really works too.  It feels like an event like the Winter Classic or something, not just some empty arena exhibition game.  

21 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

The NHL killed the setup at least in Toronto so far.  I could probably do without the fake crowd noise but you kinda forget you're not watching a game at an at least mostly filled venue.  Them covering up all the empty seats really works too.  It feels like an event like the Winter Classic or something, not just some empty arena exhibition game.  

I'm watching as well and I'm having as much fun as ever. It's real nice. 

9 hours ago, Malfatron said:

im pretty stoked about this expanded playoffs or whatever the hells this is

So am I. I think a march madness type of tournament is great in this climate. For all the crap I give the NHL and Bettman, I think they've done well with regards to the restart. Two bubbles which look super comfortable and should let players stay safely. Essentially an expanded playoffs where teams on the bubble have a chance to get into the playoffs. Also for hockey fans on the east coast, hockey from Noon to 10PM EST, which is a treat.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they gained new fans through this. It's going to be a wild playoffs, I'm super excited for it.

• Like 2