Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

1 hour ago, bkobow05 said:

Oh my, so far this Devils team is fun as hell. 

Definitely. I love this.

Do we have an offense this year? Is this real life? I love the skating and speed. the passes are lovely. This team is really fun. I don't expect a playoff run or anything, but this is going to be a year where i enjoy the devils.

Even more impressive given we were without Palmieri and Stafford

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Forge said:

Definitely. I love this.

Do we have an offense this year? Is this real life? I love the skating and speed. the passes are lovely. This team is really fun. I don't expect a playoff run or anything, but this is going to be a year where i enjoy the devils.

Even more impressive given we were without Palmieri and Stafford

I want to see how we perform against Toronto on Wednesday. If we can go toe-to-toe and score against them, I'll believe in this offense. However, they're likely to absolutely abuse our defense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

I want to see how we perform against Toronto on Wednesday. If we can go toe-to-toe and score against them, I'll believe in this offense. However, they're likely to absolutely abuse our defense.

Yeah, they will lol.  I don't expect us to win that one. But man, I think an 8-5 game would be a blast and I'd be plenty happy with that if that's what we saw. 

I really like how opportunistic the team has been. Not to mention creative. I feel like our skaters are generating a lot of space for themselves too...and if not a lot, enough to do what they need to do. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Yeah, they will lol.  I don't expect us to win that one. But man, I think an 8-5 game would be a blast and I'd be plenty happy with that if that's what we saw. 

I really like how opportunistic the team has been. Not to mention creative. I feel like our skaters are generating a lot of space for themselves too...and if not a lot, enough to do what they need to do. 

I love the change in organizational philosophy. Been a LONG time since we've emphasized offense and speed over defense and pressure. It's refreshing and fun. 

Just now, bkobow05 said:

I love the change in organizational philosophy. Been a LONG time since we've emphasized offense and speed over defense and pressure. It's refreshing and fun. 

Honestly...are we going all the way back to the A-line team in 1999-2000 ? That team still had a focus on the defensive end, but they were far more offensively inclined than any team immediately before or since, at least that I can think of. That team even had some decently talented offensive defensemen. One of our best defensive forwards in Madden even put up 16 goals. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly...are we going all the way back to the A-line team in 1999-2000 ? That team still had a focus on the defensive end, but they were far more offensively inclined than any team immediately before or since, at least that I can think of. That team even had some decently talented offensive defensemen. One of our best defensive forwards in Madden even put up 16 goals. 

Honestly, I think we're getting built exactly like how Shero built the Penguins. Emphasize speed and puck control over true defensive ability. TBH, the Pens just won a Stanley Cup with, IMO, a piss poor defense but they were able to take that focus away by being such a puck dominant team. I'm all for that as, at the very least, we'll play exciting hockey.

These ain't your daddy's Devils, folks. xD

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

Honestly, I think we're getting built exactly like how Shero built the Penguins. Emphasize speed and puck control over true defensive ability. TBH, the Pens just won a Stanley Cup with, IMO, a piss poor defense but they were able to take that focus away by being such a puck dominant team. I'm all for that as, at the very least, we'll play exciting hockey.

These ain't your daddy's Devils, folks. xD

I mean, 87 is a huge part of that xD

What's the cupboard look like in terms of defensive prospects for you guys? Forwards are definitely an exciting group but that blue line is pretty terrible, any impact guys on their way? 

Also, what a bloodbath the Metro is/is going to be. The Hockey PDOCast ranked all the teams in order of who you'd want to take over If you were a GM and I'm pretty sure every team in the division was in the top 12 except New Jersey and the Isles

Edited by flyers0909

1 hour ago, flyers0909 said:

I mean, 87 is a huge part of that xD

What's the cupboard look like in terms of defensive prospects for you guys? Forwards are definitely an exciting group but that blue line is pretty terrible, any impact guys on their way? 

Also, what a bloodbath the Metro is/is going to be. The Hockey PDOCast ranked all the teams in order of who you'd want to take over If you were a GM and I'm pretty sure every team in the division was in the top 12 except New Jersey and the Isles

In the pipeline? Not promising. I'm not sure who would be consdiered the best...maybe Sissons? Chainey? Yeah, I don't know.  Our best prospects are with the big club this year I think. Santini and Butcher. While that doesn't seem overly promising, obviously if those two grow as they go and turn into legit defensemen, than it's not so bad. Severson is solid. So there's some room for growth on that defensive front...just may go through some inexperience bumps