Official Training Camp Thread

J-ALL-DAY

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

The problem is that it really doesn't help that Kinlaw has not been good in camp. He's likely not ready to play anything more than a highly limited role on defense, which means that Solly may end up getting something like a 60-70% snap share. Like, we may actually have to rely on him this year and that kind of sucks for a few different reasons. Word is that Kinlaw struggled again today. 

Also, Coleman still needs to go as well, tbh. Reviews on Hasty have been super positive. Still can't believe we kept coleman to let that 2 million vest, but we can still get back that 2.5 by cutting him and use that for next season. 

I mean I knew Kinlaw wouldn't be ready for a lion's share of snaps as a rookie. Especially with no OTAs/mini-camp. That hurt his readiness probably more than any of the rookies. It is what it is.

I still have no issues with the pick and understand the long-term thinking there. His time will come.

The problem has always been Taylor getting hurt so late in the season last year. It meant he wouldn't be ready for the start of this year, thus securing Thomas the opportunity to compete. If Taylor were completely healthy entering 2020, I doubt Solly is still on this roster after the draft concludes.

For those a little nervous about Kinlaw, a couple of reps from the Senior Bowl practice...

0:22 - smokes John Simpson of Clemson with a nice inside rip move. Simpson was a 4th round pick of the Raiders

2:08 - walks Damien Lewis of LSU back with a decent bull-rush. Lewis was a 3rd round pick of the Hawks

3:04 - pairs a bull-rush with a nice spin against Lewis 

Now what you notice in those reps is that Kinlaw needs refinement in the worst way. His hand placement is horrible and he takes too many false steps. Not to mention his pad level...yikes. BUT he still won these reps despite all this.

He has the ability. Just needs to be schooled. Give it time...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Forge said:

Not as big of a deal as aiyuk and ford, but Ross Reynolds had to be carted off today. So that's not ideal

And Brunskill has not looked good@center.

I honestly don't understand what Lynch was thinking in regards to the interior O-Line. This team has legit SB aspirations yet you failed to get legitimate competition/back-up to Garland, knowing Richburgh wouldn't be ready to start the season. Signing Spencer Long was definitely not enough. 

So now your back-up is hurt and you've got Brunskill, a OT by nature who was already converting to OG, trying to cram to play a position he's totally not suited for.

For all the great moves by the front-office this off-season, this lack of foresight is really alarming. If they emphasized the interior O-Line the way they do the D-line, this team would be unstoppable.

Edited by 757-NINER

havent seen this discussed anywhere, but:

A) How on earth are we practicing right now in this smoke? Its crazy, I am out of breath walking a few blocks 

B) Have they considered swapping our first home game with the cards? I feel like no professional game should be played here if there are other options, without serious improvement soon. We can switch our week 16 game with them pretty easily

My question is why don't we have a indoor facility?? I know certain teams in certain parts of the country have indoor fields. Minnesota has one I believe. I know the team in Washington has one as well. But I feel like that should be the norm professionally. Almost every P5 school has one but few professional teams do. Seems very backwards to me...

On a somewhat related note, I don't know why we didn't build a dome with a retractable roof when we built our new stadium. From what I understand day games at Levi's are brutal with the sun beating down on people. I guess the appeal is it looks beautiful out there, but man I've been to a couple Rockies games out here in Denver and sitting out in the sun kind of takes some of the fun out of the event. I've never been to Santa Clara, or California for that matter, so maybe you guys could shed some light on that. 

1 hour ago, N4L said:

havent seen this discussed anywhere, but:

A) How on earth are we practicing right now in this smoke? Its crazy, I am out of breath walking a few blocks 

B) Have they considered swapping our first home game with the cards? I feel like no professional game should be played here if there are other options, without serious improvement soon. We can switch our week 16 game with them pretty easily

As long as air quality doesn't go about 200 they are fine. We have still a few weeks no need to to swap anything.

26 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

On a somewhat related note, I don't know why we didn't build a dome with a retractable roof when we built our new stadium. From what I understand day games at Levi's are brutal with the sun beating down on people. I guess the appeal is it looks beautiful out there, but man I've been to a couple Rockies games out here in Denver and sitting out in the sun kind of takes some of the fun out of the event. I've never been to Santa Clara, or California for that matter, so maybe you guys could shed some light on that. 

Its not really a sun issue, its the way Levi's was constructed. 

With all the suites being on one side of the stadium, the sun reflects back onto the opposing stands from the glass, causing the heat issue. If they simply would have reversed what side the suites sat on, it wouldn't be an issue. Just complete oversight and not understanding where the sun rises/sets and how all that glass would affect the opposing stands.

And on a personal note...

open air stadium > domes

Not a big fan of domes. Sure they look slick and nice but they have a very impersonal feel to them for me. Almost like being in a huge warehouse. I just prefer being in the open with the elements. Takes me back to being a kid, playing backyard football and such. Just how I feel the game should to be played. In the cold, in the heat, in the rain, in the snow, etc. Not in a enclosed carpet with climate controlled conditions. Indoor fields are useful and have their merits in certain sections of the country. But open air stadiums with natural grass will always  be my preference.

Edited by 757-NINER

9 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Its not really a sun issue, its the way Levi's was constructed. 

With all the suites being on one side of the stadium, the sun reflects back onto the opposing stands from the glass, causing the heat issue. If they simply would have reversed what side the suites sat on, it wouldn't be an issue. Just complete oversight and not understanding where the sun rises/sets and how all that glass would affect the opposing stands.

And on a personal note...

open air stadium > domes

Not a big fan of domes. Sure they look slick and nice but they have a very impersonal feel to them for me. Almost like being in a huge warehouse. I just prefer being in the open with the elements. Takes me back to being a kid, playing backyard football and such. Just how I feel the game should to be played. In the cold, in the heat, in the rain, in the snow, etc. Not in a enclosed carpet with climate controlled conditions. Indoor fields are useful and have their merits in certain sections of the country. But open air stadiums with natural grass will always  be my preference.

I've never been to a pro game outside I guess, so I can't speak to that. I went and saw the 49ers play the Vikings in the Metrodome with Harbaugh vs Christian Ponder. Naturally we lost to the Vikings that year. Obviously the Pepsi Center (Avs/Nuggets venue) is enclosed and I love the atmosphere in there, but I can see where you are coming from.  

My brief feeling on the Stadium.

Objectively a much better experience than the Stick with the way it was when it died. All food is overpriced and it's no different there, but at least it's good. The museum is absolutely beautiful and my father who just went to Canton said it was on that same level in quality,  but obviously smaller. But we spent 3 hours in the museum.  They really go hard for a full entertainment experience.

However, the sun is pretty rough there and it's a valid complaint. I went there in November and December and even though it was cooler, the sun was still distracting. Seems like there was a choice made to sort of..make fans deal with it, not so much a design oversight because you have to be levels of stupid to not think about sun patterns But it was a pretty positive expirience for me both times...despite one bing that awful CJ Beathard Dallas game. .