Patriots rookie C Dustin Woodard retiring

RaidersAreOne

28 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

By retiring does he give up his signing bonus? 

Why wouldn't he just go on the Covid opt out list and get a a free $150k and then retire the following year?

I imagine something recently popped up in his life. He could have been diagnosed with something making a football career near to impossible to have. 

8 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Some people still have higher moral ethics.

Of course they do. My bad. Just my personal ethics would be take the cash from a billion dollar company and which then buys me a my modest house or flat. I would certainly sleep just fine with that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

By retiring does he give up his signing bonus? 

Why wouldn't he just go on the Covid opt out list and get a a free $150k and then retire the following year?

It's not a free $150k. The players have to pay that back.

I hope it is nothing serious. Maybe he just realized, when he got this level, that his head or heart wasn't in it anymore. Much respect if that is the case.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Colts had a DT who they drafted in 2007 named Quinn Pitcock who retired after one season (citing depression and video game addiction) He attempted a comeback in 2010 but ended up in the Arena League. 

We had Chris Borland.Did a damn fine job as linebacker...i was impressed. Ordered his jersey... 4 days later he retires...Can't remember if it was his rookie season or the season after.

1 hour ago, NinerFever said:

We had Chris Borland.Did a damn fine job as linebacker...i was impressed. Ordered his jersey... 4 days later he retires...Can't remember if it was his rookie season or the season after.

I forgot about that one, former Badger player. I was shocked when it happened. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 5:37 PM, Split the Sticks said:

Imagine playing your whole college career - and more, just to get this chance and you retire?

Must be something private going on.

Nah. I know a guy who played at Wisconsin, and he said that a lot of his teammates who were drafted would tell him "you know how it was sometimes hard work at UW, but it was a blast being on campus and playing ball? This is just all the hard work without much of the fun." 

On 8/13/2020 at 9:37 PM, ninjapirate said:

the nfl is a joke so you waste your time posting about it on a message board?

That's pretty sad man. I recommend getting a hobby. 

Now, here's why I really admire this comment:  you never disagreed with me.  

You attack me, and that's perfectly fine.  

But, you didn't once say that the current NFL isn't a joke, and never made any sort of argument to dispute the blatant fact that the NFL of today is indeed a joke compared to what it used to be.  

5 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Now, here's why I really admire this comment:  you never disagreed with me.  

You attack me, and that's perfectly fine.  

But, you didn't once say that the current NFL isn't a joke, and never made any sort of argument to dispute the blatant fact that the NFL of today is indeed a joke compared to what it used to be.  

I don't care if you like or dislike the nfl. 

You think the NFL is a joke? Cool you are allowed to feel that way.

You are also allowed to go do different things with your spare time that don't involve a thing you don't like. Which was the actual point of my post but somehow you skipped that completely. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 9:37 PM, ninjapirate said:

the nfl is a joke so you waste your time posting about it on a message board?

That's pretty sad man. I recommend getting a hobby. 

Any thinking up ways to hit other posters with a “gotcha” comment isn’t the same thing? 

https://giphy.com/gifs/kidschoice-kids-choice-awards-kca2017-3o7buawRSPnaTwbo7C

What were you trying to get that low reputation points up or something?  

Edited by jimkelly02

On 8/14/2020 at 11:25 AM, minutemancl said:

It's not a free $150k. The players have to pay that back.

I hope it is nothing serious. Maybe he just realized, when he got this level, that his head or heart wasn't in it anymore. Much respect if that is the case.

they don’t pay the 150k back.  It’s not free either.  It’s a prepayment on their ‘20 salary that was “tolled” and becomes their ‘21 salary.

so if they had a ‘20 salary of 1,000,000 and  opt out they get 150k this year while they sit and 850k next year, assuming they make the team.

if he did opt out of for all the guys who opted out who will never make a roster again......

how can the nfl or teams get the money back? They can’t!  What are they gonna file Liens on the ex-players?

for guys who have been in the league long enough to get a pension maybe the teams can put a lien on that. 

but a lot of scrub players gamed the nfl for $150k this year.

On 8/14/2020 at 9:21 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

Some people still have higher moral ethics.

Oh plllllease!

The NFL and teams negotiated this option and knew the possibility of lower tier players taking advantage of this.

i feel zero sorrow for nfl teams who get burned for that 150k.  The same teams and league have left an unimaginable number of ex-players with lifetime injuries and no healthcare and pension because they didn’t play in the league the number of accured seasons.

That said lower tier players who take the opt essentially ended their career in most cases.... and some of them only needed one more year because qualifying for that NFLPA pension and benefits.