Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

23 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

With every hour ticking by today and no word on a presser from MLF, you have to think there's stuff going on behind the doors and they're just not ready yet. Whether that's a contract extension for Pettine or that's them trying to identify their next defensive coordinator. 

This isn't looking good imho for all of us that want Pettine gone. 

That's my fear. It's easy to tell him he's gone.

1 hour ago, Nick_gb said:

With every hour ticking by today and no word on a presser from MLF, you have to think there's stuff going on behind the doors and they're just not ready yet. Whether that's a contract extension for Pettine or that's them trying to identify their next defensive coordinator. 

This isn't looking good imho for all of us that want Pettine gone. 

It isn't a good sign, seeing since you've already removed your ST coach....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rodjahs12 said:

He’s going to be back and this thread is going to explode and I will be entertained for a page or two and then the same conversations we have had for two years will be rehashed again.

If you're on the side of the defense (PNI), the Packers were 13-3 each of the last two regular seasons along with two NFCCG appearances....One might think all Pettine needs to do, is to convince those in charge that the offense also had it's share of warts in the last game.... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Could it be the organization is asking him to make some kind of concessions on how things are run - he's considering them - and pending that outcome his return will or wont occur?

You mean like keep him on as a figurehead, while those on the forum wield power from behind the scenes?.... 

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Could it be the organization is asking him to make some kind of concessions on how things are run - he's considering them - and pending that outcome his return will or wont occur?

If you have to tell your DC how to run his defense, why would you pay him to run your defense?

These guys are making 7 figures every year, if he isn't doing it the way you want, pay someone who will.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If you have to tell your DC how to run his defense, why would you pay him to run your defense?

These guys are making 7 figures every year, if he isn't doing it the way you want, pay someone who will.

Yes and no.  I mean - they cant institute "organizational" changes and impose them on him. Accept an assistant or something similar. If it comes to that - yeah, you fire the guy. But - its not beyond the realm that they're having "philosophical" discussions regards scheme (and such). Hashing out or exploring areas of disagreement - to determine if there's a working basis for going forward. 

Dont know / cant say. Just filling the void.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

Yes and no.  I mean - they cant institute "organizational" changes and impose them on him. Accept an assistant or something similar. If it comes to that - yeah, you fire the guy. But - its not beyond the realm that they're having "philosophical" discussions regards scheme (and such). Hashing out or exploring areas of disagreement - to determine if there's a working basis for going forward. 

Again why would you pay a guy and tell him what scheme to run? That makes no sense to me when someone out there probably runs something more to your liking.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Again why would you pay a guy and tell him what scheme to run? That makes no sense to me when someone out there probably runs something more to your liking.

Doesnt necessarily have to be to the extreme of micromanaging the guy.

As for that somebody else out there......thats a complete wild card. Who knows who's on there "I'd like this guy" list and if they're still available.

I mean - the HC can express an opinion on how one of his assistants is running things. Opinions that may or may not raise to the level of "telling him what to do" or needing to fire the guy.

Edited by Leader

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Dont know / cant say. Just filling the void.

Same point stands as his question - the answer is pretty blatantly no. That shouldn't or isn't the problem. I can't imagine a world where a head coach says to his DC "Look, this is what I want you to run, go home think about it, if you're not okay with running your defense the way I like, lets just agree to part ways" and that Pettine is sitting at home on his couch thinking "Okay, so .. do I want to call defenses my way or MLF's way?" and that's why we're all sitting here with no clarity on the situation. 

Doesnt necessarily have to be to the extreme of micromanaging the guy.

As for that somebody else out there......thats a complete wild card. Who knows who's on there "I'd like this guy" list and if they're still available.

I just don't see it. This is the NFL, if you don't like how a guy is calling things, he gets fired. 

Four scenarios I see unfolding now:

1. Pettine has been told he's not being re-signed and the team is building a candidate list before going public so they can act swiftly.

2. They are working on Pettine's contract extension and won't comment until it's done.

3. There are people in the building that want Pettine gone, and people in the building that want him back and a consensus hasn't been reached.

4. He's not being re-signed but they want to meet with all defensive position coaches and gauge them on a return under a new DC before announcing anything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

I just don't see it. This is the NFL, if you don't like how a guy is calling things, he gets fired. 

1. Pettine has been told he's not being re-signed and the team is building a candidate list before going public so they can act swiftly.

2. They are working on Pettine's contract extension and won't comment until it's done.

3. There are people in the building that want Pettine gone, and people in the building that want him back and a consensus hasn't been reached.

4. He's not being re-signed but they want to meet with all defensive position coaches and gauge them on a return under a new DC before announcing anything.

Could be.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

5. @Outpost31kidnapped Pettine so it would be impossible for him to sign an extension and the Packers are out there looking for him.

• Like 2