Alcohol Thread!

Glen

On 9/12/2017 at 8:38 AM, scar988 said:

Ahhh, I remember when I was super into beer. Can't stand where it went with all the IPAs and sours. none of those are tasty to me.

Give me a Bourbon and coke all day. Ideally Bulleit.

Stop putting coke on your good Bourbons imo.

I can dig a jim beam or jack 'n coke or something.  That's nice now and then, i like cola.  But Bulleit is like...too good for that.  It makes me sad.  Pour that stuff neat and enjoy imo.

On 9/12/2017 at 10:08 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Ahhh, I remember when I needed soda to drink whiskey... ;)

Try some porters and stouts if you don't like the fruity/tart/floral stuff.

As a side note, Bulleit Rye is my go-to.

I think a lot of people start that way.  I did too.  But with like...cheap, kinda not very good stuff though.

Interesting that Bulleit Rye is your go-to.  It's definitely a good rye, but it's not a fav for me.  Love the Bourbon, but the Rye is just...okay for me.  And in Canada, i'm surrounded by decent or better Ryes seems like.

On 9/12/2017 at 12:08 PM, scar988 said:

I'll have to try it. Another one I've been enjoying lately is Clyde May's. Tastes like if Maker's and Bulleit got together to collaborate.

I'll have to keep an eye out for this.  Never seen it up here, but that sounds like something i'd probably be into.  Makers is very nice, but kinda...boring and balanced?  Bulleit is very nice but kinda...not the most refined?  I'd be into a lovechild of that for sure.

On 9/14/2017 at 6:09 PM, Tyty said:

Gimme beer recommendations then plz. At least I'm not drinking bud light 

imo, you don't have to delve into the pretentious world microbrews even, to get a nice beer that's enjoyable, refreshing, and actually has A Flavour.  There are plenty of decent macros out there that are very enjoyable.  Don't need a beer to taste like grass fed moonbeams with a splash of dingleberry to have a good beer.\

Doubt i can't help much with specifics, as i'd probably just be listing off Canadian macros that ya'll don't get.  But i'm confident there are similar beers down south of the border that are absolutely worth drinking a lot of.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I think a lot of people start that way.  I did too.  But with like...cheap, kinda not very good stuff though.

Interesting that Bulleit Rye is your go-to.  It's definitely a good rye, but it's not a fav for me.  Love the Bourbon, but the Rye is just...okay for me.  And in Canada, i'm surrounded by decent or better Ryes seems like.

Bulleit Rye isn't "the best" or anything like that, but it's relatively cheap and available at most places.

Most places around here don't have a ton of rye's, I'm in bourbon country.

I have said before on here and I will say it again, if you like the rye go out and find somewhere that has Willits Rye.  It is all small batch so every batch with taste different and have a different proof, when I first found out about Willits I could pick it up for just under 30$, now if I want a new bottle it is at 38$.   I generally see the proof range from 108 - 111 so it will have a little kick to it.

As far as beer goes I have recently become a fan of lagunita 12th of never ale.  It comes in delicious purple cans in a box that contains 12 of them, and I also have a amazing little local brewery down the road from my house with an IPA that seems to have a cult following.  Parish brewery is the name of the place and Ghost in the Machine is the name of their wonderful little IPA, it is great on tap but it is not the same from a bottle.  They also have some great other beers that they brew there and I commonly fill a growler there and empty it the same day - out of respect of course.

1 hour ago, BigBillsFan13 said:

I promised one of my wife's cousins that I'd take her there one of these days. Might be a while, but I absolutely plan on taking her. Seems like something we'd enjoy.

It's worth a trip.  Besides the distilleries there are some really pretty areas in Kentucky.  

Actually it's pretty gorgeous in general, especially in the fall.

Make sure to hit Woodford, nice distillery and tour.