Bears at Lions - Week 1

dll2000

10 hours ago, dll2000 said:

If Trevathan is out of shape let him get in shape in practice instead of games.   Figure something else out until he looks better.

Don’t do like you did with Long and just keep playing him out of veteran respect.  

Amen.  Very uncharacteristic for DT as well.  The guy is one of the spark plugs of that defense.  Let's see what game two tells us.

38 minutes ago, soulman said:

He was being held all game long.  On that circus catch the NB grabbed his jersey then his arm right before he laid out and caught.  That should have been two flags.

True. He got that Mack treatment. 

Actually Mack got a holding call for once. Naturally on a run play, but still. 

• Like 1

The largest concern coming out of that game was basically that we still need to figure out how to trade up for Trevor Lawrence in next year's draft (and the massive draft capital hit that requires), or risk burying the franchise for another 5 years on a guy like Fields, Lance, or Trask.  Either way, the risk is sizable (either on the questionable QB talent, or the garunteed QB talent and the massive draft talent sacrifice)

Nothing Mitch did yesterday gets him resigned next season, imo. His 4th quarter was great, but he was benchable in all 3 quarters before that.

11 minutes ago, Epyon said:

The largest concern coming out of that game was basically that we still need to figure out how to trade up for Trevor Lawrence in next year's draft (and the massive draft capital hit that requires), or risk burying the franchise for another 5 years on a guy like Fields, Lance, or Trask.  Either way, the risk is sizable (either on the questionable QB talent, or the garunteed QB talent and the massive draft talent sacrifice)

Nothing Mitch did yesterday gets him resigned next season, imo. His 4th quarter was great, but he was benchable in all 3 quarters before that.

Well...it was ONE game. We'll see what happens. Also, to think Lawrence is the only sure thing in the next draft, and the others are bums...is, well, kind of ridiculous. 

Have you watched Fields (for example) PLAY? 

14 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Are you saying Lawrence will be really good & the other 3 won't be? I can't tell with your verbage

3 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

how has nobody circled back around to nailing this prediction?

Damn, I didn't even realize it. Thanks man!

34 minutes ago, G08 said:

Eh6QMynWoAIk3N-?format=jpg&name=large

Can't believe ESPN is being so generous.  IMHO only the last TD was a great throw.  The others were a 2 yard and 1 yard pass into the end zone.  How much separation can ya' get with only 10 yards to work with?  They were good play calls and well executed but also very short passes.  Let's not over do it.  I like Mitch but no NFL QB should have missed either of those two.  The TD to Miller though showed great accuracy and touch.

The TD to Graham was poorly placed but luckily also poorly played by the DB and JG vet that he is managed to box him out.

Wims was wide open.  Mitch's Mom could have made that throw count.

19 minutes ago, soulman said:

Can't believe ESPN is being so generous.  IMHO only the last TD was a great throw.  The others were a 2 yard and 1 yard pass into the end zone.  How much separation can ya' get with only 10 yards to work with?  They were good play calls and well executed but also very short passes.  Let's not over do it.  I like Mitch but no NFL QB should have missed either of those two.  The TD to Miller though showed great accuracy and touch.

The TD to Graham was poorly placed but luckily also poorly played by the DB and JG vet that he is managed to box him out.

Wims was wide open.  Mitch's Mom could have made that throw count.

I disagree. I think your downplaying those throws.

The Graham TD was not poorly placed. It was a 50/50 ball and Mitch put it where only his guy was gonna get it, or no one was. It was also a good job by Mitch for recognizing the defense  was in man coverage and his 6'7 TE had the big advantage against their 6 foot DB.

The Wims TD. A right-handed QB rolling to his left and being able to place the ball deep in the corner while on the move is not that simple of a play to make.  

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Are you saying Lawrence will be really good & the other 3 won't be? I can't tell with your verbage

Damn, I didn't even realize it. Thanks man!

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Well...it was ONE game. We'll see what happens. Also, to think Lawrence is the only sure thing in the next draft, and the others are bums...is, well, kind of ridiculous. 

Have you watched Fields (for example) PLAY? 

I'm saying Lawrence, from what I've seen, is the only one I'd be confident in as a starter in the NFL right now... The other 3 are gambles that they develop into something, which means if they don't you just screwed the franchise for another 4-5 years. I never said the others can't be good, just that they carry dramatically more risk than Lawrence.

Fields reminds me a ton of Trubisky in the tape I've seen... and that isn't a compliment.

Lance, looks good in the tape, but he's being DRAMATICALLY protected from having to carry the passing game, and will have almost no tape from this season.... Right now, he's a poor man's Cam Newton, imo (where he likely needs to be used as a runner often)

Trask I've barely watched, but is worth considering further.

I'll say of the 3, I've been most impressed by Lance, by a sizable margin....but man is it tough projecting a guy to throw at the NFL level roughly double the amount of times per game that he does at the level his school competes at.

14 minutes ago, Epyon said:

I'm saying Lawrence, from what I've seen, is the only one I'd be confident in as a starter in the NFL right now... The other 3 are gambles that they develop into something, which means if they don't you just screwed the franchise for another 4-5 years. I never said the others can't be good, just that they carry dramatically more risk than Lawrence.

Fields reminds me a ton of Trubisky in the tape I've seen... and that isn't a compliment.

Lance, looks good in the tape, but he's being DRAMATICALLY protected from having to carry the passing game, and will have almost no tape from this season.... Right now, he's a poor man's Cam Newton, imo (where he likely needs to be used as a runner often)

Trask I've barely watched, but is worth considering further.

I'll say of the 3, I've been most impressed by Lance, by a sizable margin....but man is it tough projecting a guy to throw at the NFL level roughly double the amount of times per game that he does at the level his school competes at.

It wasn't a shot at you. It's hard to determine tone via keyboard; I was truly curious of your thoughts on the 3.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I disagree. I think your downplaying those throws.

The Graham TD was not poorly placed. It was a 50/50 ball and Mitch put it where only his guy was gonna get it, or no one was. It was also a good job by Mitch for recognizing the defense  was in man coverage and his 6'7 TE had the big advantage against their 6 foot DB.

The Wims TD. A right-handed QB rolling to his left and being able to place the ball deep in the corner while on the move is not that simple of a play to make.  

Bro....Wims was wide open.  Once he broke for the corner he had at least a step or two on his guy.  You or I might struggle making a cross body throw moving to our left but he's an NFL starting QB taken #2 overall in the draft and he's on the 1 yard line so it's maybe a 13-15 yard pass in the air.  If he can't make that work easily enough he should be cleaning cleats for Foles.

The one to JG was a lob JG made work but from the backfield angle had a more experienced CB been playing JG it could have been defended.  It worked but IMHO more due to JG's savvy than to the pin point accuracy of the pass.  It definitely helped to have a 6'7"/265lb receiver who could out muscle his defender and box him out.  That's what I saw on the replay.

I'm not dissing Mitch as much as I'm saying giving him high marks for a 1 yard and 2 yard completion into tight coverage is somewhat questionable especially on the pass to Graham.  Go back and watch it.  If the DB had been in position he might even have picked it.  Bottom line is Mitch should be making scoring plays like that every game and hopefully he will.