Rams Extend Ramsey

HTTRDynasty

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Hmmm...

I mean, not locking him up at the time did cost about $20mm. He was always going to reset the market, it just so happens that Tre White set the benchmark first.

So...this is true.

*Shrug* It IS a lot of money. About $20mm more than Tre White. So that is "so much" money.

And, welp - no CB fixes an offense.

FTR - I like the signing a lot. Doesn't make these two things wrong, though.

Fair enough, but most of the criticism had zero to do with White setting the benchmark first. It was just lazy "Rams traded so much capital and he might walk anyway" talk. I'll give you that when comparing it to White's contract, you have a point.

And the offense has nothing to do with this contract. The only reason to bring it up out of left field is because someone needs something trash and lost the Ramsey card. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, El Ramster said:

Yeah yeah yeah. I’ll tell you what. I’ll take Goff over Baker in a heart beat. Baker didn’t do a thing with all those weapons. 

I'd take about 25 QB's over Baker. You're not exactly making an argument for why "Goff is good". Baker was like 30/31 in the league in QB rating last year.

• Like 3

Just now, JonStark said:

Fair enough, but most of the criticism had zero to do with White setting the benchmark first. It was just lazy "Rams traded so much capital and he might walk anyway" talk. I'll give you that when comparing it to White's contract, you have a point.

Oh, I totes get the argument - I had to deal with it following the Larmey Tunsil deal, and it wasn't as if a T even signed a deal to benchmark against - knee jerk reaction was "YOU SHOULD HAVE PAID HIM BUT NOW YOU HAVE TO PAY HIM AND OH MY GOD WHY DID YOU PAY HIM INSTEAD OF PAYING HIM!!!?!?"

2 minutes ago, JonStark said:

And the offense has nothing to do with this contract. The only reason to bring it up out of left field is because someone needs something trash and lost the Ramsey card. 

Oh, I get that as well. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Glad we finished Whites deal before this came out. Rams overpaid

Think the media really helps buff out a lot. No one speaks of them. No one has them

at a pedestal. It’s like the perfect blend of underrated talent.. Happy for yall. But what Tre saved in those 4 mil. California ate in taxes which is why the contract was higher. Those Cali taxes are ravaging.

edit NY has crazy high taxes too? 

Edited by El Ramster

3 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Somewhat disagree with that last part. Correct me if I’m wrong but the Rams went (6-4) with Ramsey and (3-3) without him. Losing 3 straight to the Bucs, Seahawks, and Niners. I don’t think Winston has a career game if Ramsey is on the team locking up Evans. We know Evans killed Peters even after the Rams got it down to 5pts Evans on the next drive hit a home run td on Peters. Don’t think that would’ve happened if Ramsey was on Evans. The Rams should’ve beaten the Seahawks regardless because Zuerlein missed a FG he normally makes over 90% of the time in his career. So could the Rams have been at least (10-6) if not (11-5) if they had Rams for the entire season? Yes. Definitely wouldn’t have given up 55pts to Bucs if they had him last season when the Rams played them. 

I'm not sure you can extrapolate like that, but I guess you were slightly better with him which is to be expected.

Maybe without Ramsey you would've been 5-5 (.500) just like you were without him (3-3). 

Anyways, I still don't have you guys penciled in to get in the playoffs and there are 7 teams now that will make it this year.

I could be wrong though. Maybe only 1 NFC East team makes it again.

3 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Yeah yeah yeah. I’ll tell you what. I’ll take Goff over Baker in a heart beat. Baker didn’t do a thing with all those weapons. 

Anyone with two eyes would take Goff over Baker. You're not breaking anything new here...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Alright let me fix it then.

Before the contract: This could be a disaster of a trade the Rams made if they can't lock him up long term which was already too much draft capital in the first place for a guy who has a screw loose and is a walking temper tantrum.

They gave up two firsts for the best corner in the league heading into his prime. Rams have had proven success hitting on mid to late round guys so the risk is worth the reward IMO.  Also, the "screw loose and temper tantrum"  is just not accurate at all. He hated being on the Jags. Looks like ALOT of players hated being on the Jags and the recent mass exodus of other Jags players proves that. This is just hate towards the Rams with nothing but conjecture.

5 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

After the contract: Congrats Rams! You locked him up long term, but at what cost? A ton of draft capital.... the richest contract of all time for a corner by a wide margin and for a guy who hasn't been quite as good since you got him as he was a couple years ago.

Did I do it right?

Again, not a ton of draft capital given the position, his age, and the success rate of 1st round picks along with the Rams success in mid-round prospects the last 3 years. Yes, it is the richest contract. Today. And it will be surpassed by next season. That's how this works. Donald was the richest contract for a defensive player ever. Then was passed by Khalil Mack the very next day. Ramsey set the bar and someone will pass it due time. Just the nature of FA these days. Also, he didn't look as good after being traded mid-season and thrown into an entirely new defense? Ya don't say lol Let's judge him after a full offseason with the team and see how he performs. He's been named captain and is on video helping out our rookie WR. 

9 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Did I do it right?

No. You're saltiness against the Rams likely stems from when Wentz got hurt diving for the goaline week 14 and ruined his MVP season. However, that's when Foles did the impossible and gave Philly it's only ring. You're welcome actually. Be more grateful. 

4 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I fixed it. See my last post.

The negative mindset thing I could possibly agree with, but you can't blame people. 2020 has everyone on edge.

Anyways.... toning it down a little. I really didn't care for the draft compensation y'all gave up. If he was a guy who probably isn't bipolar and he kept playing at the level he did with the Jaguars for the next 5 years and you got him on Tre'davious White money, then maybe he could've lived up to that trade. I don't even know if he can live up to this contract let alone when you factor in the draft compensation you guys gave up. I think you could've used your resources better, but getting a top flight corner is always huge. Believe me... I know bad corners.

It was a lot of capital and a lot of money to give up for sure. I'm one of the ones who has always thought Ramsey was the prototypical CB since college. He sticks to guys like glue, doesn't shy away from tackling, and makes plays when you need him to. His personality had me worried in the beginning but seeing how he's helping the young WR learn in camp has changed my mind about that. Maybe he's grown a little or maybe I'm just somewhat biased, but I love that we have him locked down.

Moral of the story:

If you think Goff is above average, maybe he is, but he's not Top 10, probably not even Top 15. If you think that his HC's able to make up for those deficiencies and make him a "Good QB", then that's also your prerogative. Given their cap situation, brutally tough division, and major question marks revolving around their OL based upon a horrific 2019 season, not to mention other skill positions that had injuries/lacked production, I have my doubts on how this is going to shore up those deficiencies.

JMHO

• Like 1