NFL General Discussion

candyman93

6 hours ago, buno67 said:

Screw shanny! Weaseled his way out of Cleveland. That area doesn’t need anymore sports success with all the title they have seen from the giants and warriors

also don’t mind the Cleveland guy cementing his legacy in kelce

Running away from a dumpster fire is a pretty smart move

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Facts are what we want to believe. Both of these prove that. 

It isn't like the analytics were correct anyway. Carr and Jimmy G turned out to be the only starter quality QBs from that draft. They aren't special by any means but a lot better than Teddy. The homeless guy stuff is fun until it gets used to refresh someone's memory of actual facts. 

One guy played a decade in the league and the other snorted and drank his career away after 8 starts.

JFF should have never been drafted let alone in the first round, and this is coming from someone who liked his abilty.  Dude was a giant child and it was common knowledge amongst everyone else in the league it seemed but us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DawgX said:

Carr is who I wanted during that draft. But let's not forget that Teddy's injury early on in his career likely altered his career and was never quite the same again. Not saying he would have been anything great, but I think he would have been a solid starter.

Or at least willing to look at film and be sober.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

One guy played a decade in the league and the other snorted and drank his career away after 8 starts.

JFF should have never been drafted let alone in the first round, and this is coming from someone who liked his abilty.  Dude was a giant child and it was common knowledge amongst everyone else in the league it seemed but us.

The analytics were right about Teddy being better than Manziel, for whatever the reasons but it also had him above Carr and Jimmy G.

Teddy has 75 career passing TDs and 47 interceptions. Carr 200 and some TDs. If it was science (predictions aren't) then Carr should have been head and shoulders ahead of Bridgewater. We also wouldn't be in some magical place had we drafted Teddy so in hindsight it didn't really matter. Mayfield over Darnold is pretty much the same deal. Extremely likely Darnold would no longer be a Brown had we drafted him. Could have had Josh Allen though.

Disclaimer: I hated both Carr and Allen as NFL prospects and liked Manziel and Baker (and Teddy) so I'm certainly no smarter than the analytics or even the homeless guy.

33 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

The analytics were right about Teddy being better than Manziel, for whatever the reasons but it also had him above Carr and Jimmy G.

Teddy has 75 career passing TDs and 47 interceptions. Carr 200 and some TDs. If it was science (predictions aren't) then Carr should have been head and shoulders ahead of Bridgewater. We also wouldn't be in some magical place had we drafted Teddy so in hindsight it didn't really matter. Mayfield over Darnold is pretty much the same deal. Extremely likely Darnold would no longer be a Brown had we drafted him. Could have had Josh Allen though.

Disclaimer: I hated both Carr and Allen as NFL prospects and liked Manziel and Baker (and Teddy) so I'm certainly no smarter than the analytics or even the homeless guy.

Once again you're totally ignoring Teddy's injury. Yeah, drafting Teddy likely wouldn't have changed anything... but same could be said for any QB in that draft. And no one said analytics is a 100% science. It's just data.

I liked Manziel too. Didn't love him in the first round, but I think the dude had talent. He was just way too immature to succeed in this league, especially with how incompetent we were as an organization at the time.

6 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Teddy has 75 career passing TDs and 47 interceptions. Carr 200 and some TDs. If it was science (predictions aren't) then Carr should have been head and shoulders ahead of Bridgewater.

Analytics isn’t some special science, it’s data to minimize risk/identify outliers.  Iirc (it’s been some time) he was the only QB in that class that study had flagged as “do not draft” due to character concerns.

The point of the study isn’t to spend the 100k and call the class scouted, it’s to use it as a part of the decision. Taking the dude they had flagged as undraftable for what now seems obvious is nothing more than a blatant disregard for data based on feelings.  It’s the exact type of decision making process analytics is used to avoid.

We also wouldn't be in some magical place had we drafted Teddy so in hindsight it didn't really matter. Mayfield over Darnold is pretty much the same deal. Extremely likely Darnold would no longer be a Brown had we drafted him. Could have had Josh Allen though.

Where a QB lands is a big part of their success imo.  It’s not like other positions necessarily.  Bad coaching, poor schemes, dysfunctional organization, lack of surrounding talent, etc all impact QB and their development as much or more than any other position.

Ive stated before with that 2018 class I felt Baker was the only guy who’d have survived here due to his personality, experience, etc.

Josh Allen never makes it here imo.  Lamar?  Who knows.

I don’t think the organization failed Manziel though, I don’t see him as being able to have success anywhere.  He didn’t care.

I had the same opinions.  The difference is we didn’t know the depths of JFF’s issues. I thought he was a bit of a frat bro that liked his beers and a good time.  I had no clue he was so far gone, but it was apparently well known in league circles at the time and why he was “falling” on draft day.  That’s the difference between us and them, they get info we don’t.

When Shanahan says he likes Jimmy G, the report says Teddy, Carr was as experienced and accomplished as he was with no particular red flags, I think it’s hard to point to the one guy no one wants/has huge red flags as the best option and not expect to be lambasted when it doesn’t work out.

43 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

This turd still robbing organizations.....not that we needed more reasons to dislike the Ravens....but.......he sure is easy to dislike!

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/odell-beckham-jr-ends-up-earning-16-million-for-one-year-with-the-ravens

I don’t blame him lol.  If someone offered me that money I’d take it too.

• Like 1

One Random thought I just had......Bill Callahan is an Old School type of Coach....I think if he was leaving to go to Tenn with his son.....I think it would have happened by now........I think Munchak is coming back to be the Oline Coach in Tenn.....he's got his health issues sorted out and is feeling the itch to coach again.....

Munchack is who I want to coach the Oline, if Callahan left......Like I said, I think Father Callahan stays true to the Browns like Sir Joe Thomas (yep I Knighted Him LOL)

2 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

One Random thought I just had......Bill Callahan is an Old School type of Coach....I think if he was leaving to go to Tenn with his son.....I think it would have happened by now........I think Munchak is coming back to be the Oline Coach in Tenn.....he's got his health issues sorted out and is feeling the itch to coach again.....

Munchack is who I want to coach the Oline, if Callahan left......Like I said, I think Father Callahan stays true to the Browns like Sir Joe Thomas (yep I Knighted Him LOL)

I think if Callahan was gonna join his son he would have done it in cinci. Maybe they just want to keep work and private life separated. Working with your dad isn’t as fun as it would seem…

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I think if Callahan was gonna join his son he would have done it in cinci. Maybe they just want to keep work and private life separated. Working with your dad isn’t as fun as it would seem…

I think that’s one aspect, the other is his son wanting to make his own mark without his father.

Im sure he’s dealt with accusations of nepotism his whole career to some degree and would appreciate the chance to show his ability.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...