MVP Watch FINAL RANKINGS (Version 17.0)

BayRaider

TBH Allen looks like the clear #2 candidate to me, for a few reasons:

1.  Mahomes bar of excellence means KC has to be historically great to get the same run.   It's not fair, but it's the reality here.

2. BUF is set up to be a 11-12W team, and that kind of bump will be directly attributed to Allen's development.

3. Whether we like it or not, prime time / public narratives matter.     Lamar's MNF performance is going to be difficult to erase from voters' memories.  

4.  MVP's can't lose games because of their performance.   That automatically excludes Kyler after the DET game.  

5.  In the NFL, bad team performance excludes otherwise worthy candidates.    DAL, I'm looking at you.

Honestly, if it wasn't for "Russ never has had a MVP vote", Allen's case would likely be even closer to #1 than it is now.   It would be ludicrous to suggest anyone but Russ is #1...but I'm firmly in the Allen #2 camp after 3 games.   And given BUF gets to face NYJ 2x, MIA at home, it comes down to NE - if Allen loses to NE 2x, and likely the division - no shot.   If he splits, it depends on how well BUF finishes overall.   If BUF goes 6-0, and BUF's a top 2 seed - then all bets are off.  

At this stage, it's going to take injury or a meltdown of epic proportions to unseat Wilson - because in order for SEA to keep winning, they have to let Russ cook.    If you end up with similar #'s - Russ gets it for sure.       It sure is looking like a Russ MVP year - SEA will have to outscore teams to win games on a regular basis, and the SEA path to the NFCW title is there for the taking.   WIthout having SEA fans get up in arms, it's also the setup where regular season success doesn't translate in playoffs (because juggernaut O's with bottom 10 D's just don't get far in playoffs, and that's what SEA's D is playing at - and likely worse while Adams is out, too).    But that's a discussion for a later time - for now, Russ MVP is definitely a big frontrunner right now.  I do think Allen is the #2, and he's set up to stay there for a while this year.

• Like 1

Just now, The BILLievers said:

With 143 passing attempts lol. His passer rating is less than 100, sub 70% completion percentage and 5:2 in TD:INT passing. He’s having a good year but Wilson, Mahomes, Allen, and Rodgers are all well over him. 

I literally said he should not be considered a front runner. Here, I will show you:

Not saying they are front runners because our team sucks. But you have a lot of less qualified people on your list.

^^^^^

I just like to give Bay a hard time because he:

1.  Does hate the Cowboys

2. Said there were like 25 QBs better than Dak. 

Allen's season hinges on 2 games vs the Patriots.

Until the Bills prove they can win the AFC East then Allen gets no real MVP consideration.

The Rams win was a nice showcase and the Seattle and KC games will also be big but first its about taking that step to win the division.

Russ has already dominated in 2 high profile games on SNF (Patriots) and vs the Cowboys (good or bad they draw attention)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, evilpimp972 said:

You're using two qbs that have nothing to do with Josh Allen to prove a point. 

I rather use Wilson entire body of work tbh. And he has been a 35 - 7 qb without many weapons before. Those are mvp numbers.

Whats more likely? Allen doing something he hasnt done before or Wilson improving by like 3 tds maybe?

Anyway I love Allen and I hope this bills team can do some damage. We'll see who can keep it up, Rodgers is up there too and be careful of Mahomeboy...

I thought Allen could do what he's doing right now before the season started.  I spent pretty much the entire summer arguing exactly that.  I said he could be this year's Lamar Jackson because I saw him as an elite talent who was surrounded by subpar weapons in the past.  I said once the Bills gave him better playmaker (i.e. Stefon Diggs) his numbers would explode and start to match the talent level I saw in him from the start.  So while you might be surprised by Josh Allen's hot start, I am not.  I expected this level of production from him.

With that said, I don't think he will win MVP this year.  Not because his production will dip but rather I don't think the Bills will have a good enough record for him to win the award.  Despite the 3-0 start, the Bills have a really tough schedule this year.  They play the NFC West and AFC West in terms of divisions outside of their own.  They also have games against teams like the Steelers and Titans who both look to be stout.  Even if they are one of the best teams in the NFL, that schedule is so brutal I doubt they finish with a record of 12-4 or better which seems like what you need to win MVP.  I think the Bills go around 10-6 once again this year because of how hard their schedule is.  That should eliminate Allen from MVP consideration even if his stats stay MVP caliber. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VanS said:

I thought Allen could do what he's doing right now before the season started.  I spent pretty much the entire summer arguing exactly that.  I said he could be this year's Lamar Jackson because I saw him as an elite talent who was surrounded by subpar weapons in the past.  I said once the Bills gave him better playmaker (i.e. Stefon Diggs) his numbers would explode and start to match the talent level I saw in him from the start.  So while you might be surprised by Josh Allen's hot start, I am not.  I expected this level of production from him.

With that said, I don't think he will win MVP this year.  Not because his production will dip but rather I don't think the Bills will have a good enough record for him to win the award.  Despite the 3-0 start, the Bills have a really tough schedule this year.  They play the NFC West and AFC West in terms of divisions outside of their own.  They also have games against teams like the Steelers and Titans who both look to be stout.  Even if they are one of the best teams in the NFL, that schedule is so brutal I doubt they finish with a record of 12-4 or better which seems like what you need to win MVP.  I think the Bills go around 10-6 once again this year because of how hard their schedule is.  That should eliminate Allen from MVP consideration even if his stats stay MVP caliber. 

14-2!!!!!!

I’m in the firm belief, whoever the best player with 10+ wins and a Playoff spot is MVP. Look at Adrian Peterson in 2012. It’s not just best player on best team. It just happens that 90% of the time, the best player is usually on a Top Two Seeded Team. 

Edited by BayRaider

Just now, bigbadbuff said:

14-2!!!!!!

I'll be rooting for them to win every game.  I just don't see it with a schedule that hard.  If they do somehow win that many games then Josh Allen will hands down be the MVP.  Might even be unanimous like Lamar last year. 

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

I’m in the firm belief, whoever the best player with 10+ wins and a Playoff spot is MVP. Look at Adrian Peterson in 2012. It’s not just best player on best team. It just happens that 90% of the time, the best player is usually on a Top Two Seeded Team. 

AP had a statistically historic season with 2,000+ rushing yards.  Plus he also had the narrative going for him coming off the ACL injury.

I don't think a QB can win MVP with a 10-6 record unless he breaks Peyton Manning's 2013 passing records.  And even then if another guy has similar production but a better record, the QB with the better record will win it.

1 minute ago, VanS said:

AP had a statistically historic season with 2,000+ rushing yards.  Plus he also had the narrative going for him coming off the ACL injury.

I don't think a QB can win MVP with a 10-6 record unless he breaks Peyton Manning's 2013 passing records.  And even then if another guy has similar production but a better record, the QB with the better record will win it.

Mahomes and Jackson would of both won the awards the previous two years if their teams were 10-6. 

10-6 and Playoff is the Requirement. After that, it’s best player imo. 

7 hours ago, VanS said:

Allen is much better than Lamar