What movie are you watching?

Forge

Did the stereotypical thing of flipping around Netflix/Prime/Hulu for a movie to watch, and I found one that looked to be interesting.  Not a big budget film at all, but I enjoyed it.  One of the reasons I decided to watch it, is because I teach a Contemporary History through Film course, and with the likelihood that we'll not be in school for the start of the school year (don't know anything as of yet), so I'm looking for films that might be able to be used.  There is certainly a government component in this film.  Probably won't use it for class, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.  Oh, and Shooter McGavin is in this movie too.

Longshot. I really liked it. Harmless movie in a niche that isn't overly saturated (political rom com) and tends to work well (The American President, Dave). A little surprised this one flamed out. 

Stuber. Meh. Probably the worst Nanjiani movie I've seen so far, though typically his flicks have been alright. 

• Like 1

Should mention that I have also recently watched, 

"Once Upon a Time in Hollywood". I feel like I need to watch it a second, or maybe even a third time? Tarantino flicks tend to grow on me with more viewings. I enjoyed this one, but wasn't blown away by it like I have been with others in the past. 

"Invisible Man". Honestly? Great for like first hour. Man, if they had taken this completely down the psychological thriller path, this would been one of the better movies I had seen in a while. But the back half is considerably weak in my opinion, and it tends to fall in to tried and true formulaic creature feature stuff. Also, visually, not great. 

"Dolittle" was just a bad movie lol. I laughed a couple of times though, and i watched it with my little boy, so it kind of served its purpose, I think. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Forge said:

"Dolittle" was just a bad movie lol. I laughed a couple of times though, and i watched it with my little boy, so it kind of served its purpose, I think. 

Yeah, it wasn't anything great, but it made for a good family movie that my kids enjoyed.  I've suffered through far worse that my kids liked.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 6:33 PM, thrILL! said:

I love it.  I have really vivid dreams too so this one hit home for me.  It has one of Michael Shannon's best performances and Jessica Chastain is awesome as usual.  I don't mind slow burn films as long as they're good.  And the ending is so worth it.  The score is great and the storms look amazing.  I thought it was a great followup for Jeff Nichols after Mud.

I hadn't seen this for awhile and recently finished Boardwalk Empire so it was fun to see Michael Shannon and Shea Whigham acting together here.  Their chemistry is a trip.

I thought Mud was far superior to Take Shelter, which got a few unintentional laughs from me for how over the top Michael Shannon was at a couple points.  Take Shelter didn't really hit for me.  Wasn't terrible, but I just couldn't really get into it.

On 7/19/2020 at 7:55 PM, Forge said:

Longshot. I really liked it. Harmless movie in a niche that isn't overly saturated (political rom com) and tends to work well (The American President, Dave). A little surprised this one flamed out. 

I loved Long Shot but a lot of people hate Seth Rogan so they're turned off by whatever he's in. I thought he was fine in this one. Of course, I'll watch anything with Charlize.

6 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I loved Long Shot but a lot of people hate Seth Rogan so they're turned off by whatever he's in. I thought he was fine in this one. Of course, I'll watch anything with Charlize.

I'm generally not a Rogen fan.  I don't really hate him or anything, but the only time I can remember being legitimately impressed by his performance was in 50/50.  Stoner comedy is one of the laziest forms of comedy imo, and that's Rogen's forte.

5 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I'm generally not a Rogen fan.  I don't really hate him or anything, but the only time I can remember being legitimately impressed by his performance was in 50/50.  Stoner comedy is one of the laziest forms of comedy imo, and that's Rogen's forte.

Well, yeah. I don't necessarily like Rogen but he's not an automatic turnoff when it comes to checking movies out. 

In other news, I watched The Devil's Advocate for the first time in almost 20 years last night. I can't believe Pacino turned down that role multiple times when he was born for it. Still not quite my favorite portrayal of Satan, though. That's a tie that belongs to Peter Stormare (Constantine) and Viggo Mortenson (The Prophecy) but Pacino was perfect casting for TDA.

7 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Well, yeah. I don't necessarily like Rogen but he's not an automatic turnoff when it comes to checking movies out. 

In other news, I watched The Devil's Advocate for the first time in almost 20 years last night. I can't believe Pacino turned down that role multiple times when he was born for it. Still not quite my favorite portrayal of Satan, though. That's a tie that belongs to Peter Stormare (Constantine) and Viggo Mortenson (The Prophecy) but Pacino was perfect casting for TDA.

Haven’t seen it in 20 years either but i still remember that hospital scene when his wife *spoilers* herself right in front of him behind that glass lol always stuck with me

• Like 1