What movie are you watching?

Forge

Major League. Still hilarious. 

Lou Brown does not get enough love as an all time great move head coach / manager. He should be right up there with Mr Miyagi, Norman Dale, Danny O'Shea and Chubbs. 

Also, how was Rene Russo already 35 in this ? 

• Like 2

On 11/29/2023 at 3:12 AM, thrILL! said:

thinkposter.jpg

I remember my wife and I traveling relatively far to go see this in theaters. We love Birbiglia and Gethard. We really liked it. It's a funny movie with overall pretty depressing themes. Surprise star is Connor Ratliff, who appears only like twice but drops hilarious lines both times.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I remember my wife and I traveling relatively far to go see this in theaters. We love Birbiglia and Gethard. We really liked it. It's a funny movie with overall pretty depressing themes. Surprise star is Connor Ratliff, who appears only like twice but drops hilarious lines both times.

It had been awhile since I had seen it and he was recently on Andrew Santino’s podcast which prompted a rewatch of this and Sleepwalk With Me.  I know he’s crushing it in standup with a brand new special but I’d love to see him write & direct another film. 

8 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Went and saw this last night in theaters:

s-l1200.webp

Had never seen the Special Edition. It was fantastic. Atmospheric, intense, uncomfortable. The ending was a little hokey and the score for the aliens was a little too jovial for me, but overall it was awesome.

I would love to see this remade with modern CGI. I know that's a big no-no for a lot of people but I think it could be awesome. Cameron can do it himself tbh if not for friggin' Avatar.

Edited by beekay414

3 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Went and saw this last night in theaters:

s-l1200.webp

Had never seen the Special Edition. It was fantastic. Atmospheric, intense, uncomfortable. The ending was a little hokey and the score for the aliens was a little too jovial for me, but overall it was awesome.

I never understood how lukewarm some people are on this. This is one of my favorite Cameron flicks 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Forge said:

I never understood how lukewarm some people are on this. This is one of my favorite Cameron flicks 

It’s fantastic, and I’m extremely excited it’s finally releasing on 4k, but what sets it behind for me is that humans are the only legitimate villain. The benevolent aliens aspect kinda just keeps it a notch below my top 100 movies. Though they’re far inferior, I always preferred the (best) two Abyss cash in attempts. Leviathan and Deepstar Six.

Leviathan was The Abyss after the scriptwriter was told to copy The Abyss and some other movie. The some other movie was The Thing.

Deepstar Six was The Abyss after producers told someone to copy The Abyss, but make it a giant crab shark instead of aliens.

And before anybody says they all came out in the same year… Deepstar Six started production in 1987 WITH THE EXPRESS INTENT of kicking off the deep sea horror releases.

Lords of the Deep and The Rift also came out in 89/90. Both were fast tracked and terrible.

Cameron was one of the hottest box office draws for producers at the time. They wanted to cash in on whatever he was doing after having back to back major hard R hits in Terminator and Aliens.

Edited by MacReady

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

thenewyorker_the-social-network.jpg

The Social Network is just a such a well crafted movie by Fincher and Reznor has one of the better scores of the 21st century to back it up and just cement the mood throughout.  Always enjoyable.

One of my favorite movies.

Andrew Garfield is so great in it. A lot of good acting in it..

As far as the score it is all good, but the Henley Boat Race Sequence is just awesome.

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

thenewyorker_the-social-network.jpg

The Social Network is just a such a well crafted movie by Fincher and Reznor has one of the better scores of the 21st century to back it up and just cement the mood throughout.  Always enjoyable.

The 2 hr documentary in the blu-ray’s special features is fantastic too.