Week 2- Lions (0-1) @ Packers (1-0)

Louis Friend

3 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Looking back through the highlight video, Trufant let Robinson have two big receptions with a total of about 47 yards in the first half. He also nearly had an INT, 1 PBU and a big stop on a 3rd down. He didn't let anyone score a TD on him. So I am still puzzled at why it would be so low. 

They review each play and give each play a +/-.  Even plays when they are not involved to see if they are doing what they are supposed to be doing.  My guess is he was burned a few times on plays when Mitch couldn't find his man, or missed a tackle or two.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

They review each play and give each play a +/-.  Even plays when they are not involved to see if they are doing what they are supposed to be doing.  My guess is he was burned a few times on plays when Mitch couldn't find his man, or missed a tackle or two.  

Is there anything that you can share with these kinds of details on the scoring system? Not challenging you on this, just curious and would like to get a better understanding of their scoring system if it is made available. 

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Is there anything that you can share with these kinds of details on the scoring system? Not challenging you on this, just curious and would like to get a better understanding of their scoring system if it is made available. 

https://www.pff.com/grades?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqOTgnr3z6wIVTL7ACh3i6w1zEAAYASAAEgKtAfD_BwE

There is further detail about how they convert the grading system to a 0-100 scale and how they compare to stats etc at the link provided. 

WHAT WE DO

The PFF grading system evaluates every player on every play during a football game. We believe that #EveryPlayCounts and that attention to detail provides insights and data that cannot be found anywhere else. The grading system was founded on the principle of grading “production” rather than traits or measurables, but perhaps a better way to describe it is a player’s “contribution to production” on a given play. 

Did the quarterback make a great throw, but it was dropped? The quarterback contributed to positive production and will receive a positive grade for that effort, even though the receiver let him down, earning a negative grade along the way.

The benefits of this style of grading are numerous. Taking every play into consideration allows for a larger sample size of data to tell the proper story rather than just a highlight reel of plays that we tend to remember, for better or worse. We also work to eliminate bias by not caring about the level of player who is being graded, so whether it’s the best tackle in the league missing a block or one of the worst, the same grade is given. Preconceived level of ability has no impact on the grading system. This style has worked well in unlocking undervalued gems through the years, while also not being swayed by player hype if it is undeserved.

THE GRADING SCALE

Each player is given a grade of -2 to +2 in 0.5 increments on a given play with 0 generally being the average or “expected” grade. There are a few exceptions as each position group has different rules, but those are the basics. The zero grade is important as most plays feature many players doing their job at a reasonable, or expected, level, so not every player on every play needs to earn a positive or a negative.  

I fully expect the Packers steamroll the Lions somewhere along the lines of 48-28.  With that being said I wouldn’t be surprised if the Lions won this game either.  I just don’t know what to expect from this team anymore except that if they are leading in the 4th chances are better than not they will blow it.  I’m going in to the game hoping for the best and expecting the worst.

I’m not expecting a win but there are a few things I’d like to see. 

1. Our run game come alive. AP looked good last week. Let’s get KJ and DS going. 

2. I’d like to see some improvement of a pass rush. Blitz some LBs, get some pressure. 

3. Clock management. I did not like Patricias game calls and time out usages last week. If you want to be seen as the smartest guy in the room, act like it. 

4. No injuries. Dear God we can not afford any more injuries. Let’s have a clean game.