Notable Stats and Observations

Hunter2_1

8 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Peters didn’t suck this year for us. He gave up a few big plays that arguably could’ve been pinned on the safeties. 

I have a different definition of sucked I guess. To me, a person who sucks is usually a healthy scratch or he shouldn’t be seeing time on the field 

Funny, I seem to recall your fellow Rams fan touting him as one of the worst Corners in football and glad they traded him away for peanuts.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Peters didn’t suck this year for us. He gave up a few big plays that arguably could’ve been pinned on the safeties. 

I have a different definition of sucked I guess. To me, a person who sucks is usually a healthy scratch or he shouldn’t be seeing time on the field 

I guess that's fair. I'm not just talking about coverage but tackling and I'm grading him harder because Peters is supposed to be good. It's so refreshing to now have corners that can tackle on runs and quick passes. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Danger said:

Funny, I seem to recall your fellow Rams fan touting him as one of the worst Corners in football and glad they traded him away for peanuts.

Peters was horrendous without Talib last year. Im glad he’s gone. I haven’t hated a Rams player so much since Nick Foles. Foles as a ram was absolute garbage. He was also very bad this year idc what the numbers say. He gambles way too much and you can’t leave him 1 on one with any mid tier WR let alone a top tier one. 

He is an amazing human though. Just misunderstood! I wish him the best in

Bal and super happy for him that he’s doing well. He’s made big plays for them. Get that bag marc. As a ram his time with us will be forgotten. Jalen has transformed our defense into a beast. We just don’t surrender TDS.. and can play man to man without holding our breathes! Even though Troy Hill was beat super hard by Pitt.. Sheesh. 

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Peters def did not suck. Actually you can make a case for him being out best corner since last year’s playoffs 

he has boom bust tendencies like our former CB Janoris Jenkins but better. 

And we got rid of him for peanuts is because of paying him close to max or max money why not pay max money to someone younger and better in Ramsey? 

Also schematically Ramsey was a better fit 

Edited by rocky_rams

40 minutes ago, DannyB said:

I think it's annoying that the Coach of the Year award is a de facto Most Improved Team award.

MVP, OPOY and DPOY aren't for the most improved player.

Usually it is for coach of the year but besides Shanahan, every other contender for me is not that way with Tomlin, Harbaugh, and Reich. 

1 minute ago, LeotheLion said:

Usually it is for coach of the year but besides Shanahan, every other contender for me is not that way with Tomlin, Harbaugh, and Reich. 

I mean I kinda understand that this year has been weird with the number of teams losing their starting QBs, but managing to stay afloat. Add Payton to the list for sure.

But overall, it seems pretty evident that the award has some flawed, I dunno...criteria(?) when you look back at the coaches that have won, that fit one or more of the following: are poorly regarded, didn't last much longer with the team, didn't maintain success, are potentially on the hot seat...

**** Jauron, Marvin Lewis, Matt Nagy, Mike Smith, Bruce Arians, Jason Garrett.

Meanwhile, guys who have found success, and have proven themselves by maintaining that success, are consistently left out...

Sean Payton won it one year, arguably the only year where he fit that cliche mold of being a new face that turns around a team quickly.

Belichick should basically win the thing every damn year. Even though he has one it thrice, he still probably deserves a few more. Oddly enough, one of the years he did win it, I'd say was just a "so-so" year for him, by his standards.

John Harbaugh is nowhere to be found

Same with Pete Carroll

Hell, even Green Bay's own ex-coach, ol' Chubs McCarthy was probably more deserving of one for one of those peak years we had, than the guys who actually won.

Whatever, just something that I've been thinking about

• Like 1

Highest points per drive (since at least 1993, when FO as the stats for it):

2007 New England Patriots  3.37
2018 Kansas City Chiefs       3.25
2018 New Orleans Saints      3.21
2016 Atlanta Falcons             3.06
2011 Green Bay Packers       3.05
2013 Denver Broncos             2.98
2004 Indianapolis Colts         2.93
2010 New England Patriots   2.90
2000 St Louis Rams                2.85

2019 Baltimore Ravens through 9 games are at 3.08. Dallas and KC are second at 2.65. For the record, I think it's extremely unlikely the Ravens end up over 3, but the fact they are currently scoring at a rate with the greatest passing offenses we've seen is really interesting.

Edited by wackywabbit

5 hours ago, DannyB said:

I mean I kinda understand that this year has been weird with the number of teams losing their starting QBs, but managing to stay afloat. Add Payton to the list for sure.

But overall, it seems pretty evident that the award has some flawed, I dunno...criteria(?) when you look back at the coaches that have won, that fit one or more of the following: are poorly regarded, didn't last much longer with the team, didn't maintain success, are potentially on the hot seat...

**** Jauron, Marvin Lewis, Matt Nagy, Mike Smith, Bruce Arians, Jason Garrett.

Meanwhile, guys who have found success, and have proven themselves by maintaining that success, are consistently left out...

Sean Payton won it one year, arguably the only year where he fit that cliche mold of being a new face that turns around a team quickly.

Belichick should basically win the thing every damn year. Even though he has one it thrice, he still probably deserves a few more. Oddly enough, one of the years he did win it, I'd say was just a "so-so" year for him, by his standards.

John Harbaugh is nowhere to be found

Same with Pete Carroll

Hell, even Green Bay's own ex-coach, ol' Chubs McCarthy was probably more deserving of one for one of those peak years we had, than the guys who actually won.

Whatever, just something that I've been thinking about

I'm pretty sure the rationale is they're trying to find the coach that, in a sense, won the most with the least. So when you see a team go from 4-12 to 12-4, the logic is okay, they clearly weren't that talented, so what changed? Must have been coaching, so coach of said team must have done a great job that year. So with McVay, as an example, they saw a 7 win jump going from 2016 to 2017. Same QB. A ton of the same starters. Their biggest FA splash that offseason was arguably Sammy Watkins. So the easiest answer is that coaching was the big driving force in wins.

Same deal with Nagy. Huge jump in wins from '17 to '18. Now in the Bears case they did add Mack, but much of the starting roster returned. Same QB, same RB, same OL, same secondary, etc., and a huge jump in wins. Their offense looked like the result of dynamic play calling and quality coaching, more than quality QB play or anything, so he got points for that.

So they look for improvement like that when it seems like a change in coaching quality is driving that improvement. Because while everyone knows Belichick is the best coach hands down, it could be argued that Nagy taking a Trubisky-led Bears team to a 12-4 division title is a more impressive one year coaching job than Bill taking another Brady-led Pats team to 11-5. And same as MVP, it's more about that one year of value they added.

And in years like that, I'm sure Belichick coached as well as he always did last year, but at the same time....we don't see that. Like at all. We see very small amounts of what these guys actually do, and the same is true of the press. We're basically assuming based on results, for the most part.

Goff has dipped below an 80 in rating over the last 17 games combined.

• The league average is 92.1 this year and was 92.9 last year.

The Rams gave him 110 million guaranteed on a 'Gurley structure' contract that there is no escape from until 2023. (2021 guarantees at the start of 2020 for example)