How to improve our defense and avoid WORST DEFENSE EVER thread.

resilient part 2

19 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Whatever Nolan is doing isn’t working, so probably best to start there. But also, the presumed building blocks are not what we thought. Complete overhaul in order.

Yes but wouldn't a complete overhaul mean years of drafting well? With some free agents. It seems like it would take at least a few years to even consider this and yet what choice do we have

Trade for Mike Zimmer as HC. 

Seriously, this teams offense was trending up last year even with inconsistency running rampant. Hiring an offensive minded HC who wont even be installing a new system or calling plays or even running the offense meeting rooms was an absolutely terrible hire. Hated it from the start. 

I wanted Mike Vrabel, we kept Garrett (which i was still fine with all things said). I wanted Mike Zimmer, we got McCarthy.

This team has needed, for years now, an infusion of top defensive minds. I do not mean failed HCs with D backgrounds taking minor or coordinator roles like Tomsula or Nolan. I mean a HC that can leave that upward trending offense as it were (which happened anyway) and bring in a new attitude, and a new design with a new eye for drafted pieces to his new defensive puzzle.

More of the same is all we got. 

You know what? At this point, Id be willing to hire Joey Porter. Youth, freshness, and having been part of not 1 but 2 of the most complex defensive schemes in the modern era? Yeah, give me that.

Edited by Dallas94Ware

1 minute ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Trade for Mike Zimmer as HC. 

Seriously, this teams offense was trending up last year even with inconsistency running rampant. Hiring an offensive minded HC who wont even be installing a new system or calling plays or even running the offense meeting rooms was an absolutely terrible hire. Hated it from the start. 

I wanted Mike Vrabel, we kept Garrett (which i was still fine with all things said). I wanted Mike Zimmer, we got McCarthy.

This team has needed, for years now, an infusion of top defensive minds. I do not mean failed HCs with D backgrounds taking minor or coordinator roles like Tomsula or Nolan. I mean a HC that can leave that upward trending offense as it were (which happened anyway) and bring in a new attitude, and a new design with a new eye for drafted pieces to his new defensive puzzle.

More of the same is all we got. 

I did not like the McCarthy hire. I wanted Meyer or Saleh.

Offense isnt the problem.

4 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

I did not like the McCarthy hire. I wanted Meyer or Saleh.

Offense isnt the problem.

Problem with Saleh is that his defense relies on gimmicks to eliminate what a team does well on offense. That is good, but wont win you big games against offenses who have depth or dont care if you take away their bread and butter because they still baked some garlic bread they hadnt brought out yet.

And hiring an offensive HC wasnt terrible in and of itself. Its hiring one who literally is just going to stand there and be a game manager who has a poor track record of managing games. There is a reason Rodgers ran McCarthy out of town. He has changed nothing about the team identity, offense, defense or how poorly or oddly the games are often managed. It was a $#!%^y hire.

Edited by Dallas94Ware

7 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

Yes but wouldn't a complete overhaul mean years of drafting well? With some free agents. It seems like it would take at least a few years to even consider this and yet what choice do we have

idk, will see what happens going forward.

I doubt Nolan is canned, but he should be. 

Until I see otherwise, no you can convince me Jefferson/Reid don’t help secondary and Snacks doesn’t make a sizable difference in the middle of DL. One yr deals and probably fairly inexpensive. Start there, see how it plays out.

Here is a thought the defense sucks how about the offense stop turning the ball over 2-3 times a week. At least if they do that they can win shootout games. There defense has no hope. A total rebuild is needed. I would keep Diggs and VDE everyone else can go including the whole defensive staff.

after that game I have no clue where to start. I would keep it simple and try to have our best players on the field. the subs are every down i feel like. but we need to figure out a way to have aldon, dlaw, and griffen on field at once. That may mean griffen as a 3DT... Crawford has been MIA this year as well and thats a big contract for someone that doesnt and hasnt produced. Jaylon -- dont get me started but we are seeing that on the field. I do think its time to put Luke and Bernard in at linebackers to see what they have. Only thing I was happy about was FINALLY giving Wilson a shot at safety. Brought a little force but obviously he is raw. But anything is better than what was going on there. And Worley??!! holy crap get him off the field. Lewis should of been covering OBJ not worley. I dont care if Lewis is considered "slot". Usually the undersized guys play decent at corner and play with better leverage. I can only hope it gets better when we get CHido and Brown back.