Trade Targets?

pacman5252

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Bigger failure highlighted here. This isn't just about Fuller. Once again, in fact, it's pretty much what he's known for at this point, Gute struck out completely

This is my problem. I'm not upset they didn't get the deal done for Fuller considering Houston wouldn't budge off asking for a 2 which is too high for someone of his caliber, but you can't tell me there weren't other options they could have explored. This wasn't just about WR either....even though it's clear that the team thinks they need to upgrade there.

I personally would maintain a hard line on "don't trade for a guy on the last year of his deal if you can't work out an extension" and "don't trade for a guy and work out an extension if that causes you to lose key people next year in FA".  There's too much uncertainty about the cap situation next year to really feel great about any potential outcome here.

• Like 1

Just now, deltarich87 said:

This is my problem. I'm not upset they didn't get the deal done for Fuller considering Houston wouldn't budge off asking for a 2 which is too high for someone of his caliber, but you can't tell me there weren't other options they could have explored. This wasn't just about WR either....even though it's clear that the team thinks they need to upgrade there.

I've been saying it for a while. Gute is entering "rebuild" mode. He wants to be Ted, he got his future QB and is buying time until he can unload Rodgers. That's the only way the Love pick was anything but a total disaster of a pick anyways. He's married to it now. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

So basically they were never close. I will guarantee you it will come out later that Gutey offered no more than a 4th round pick and wanted Houston to take at least half of Fuller's remaining salary. Probably thought he was still negotiating with Bill O'Brien. 

MLF may have wanted Fuller, but asking HOU to take on some of Fuller's salary tells me that the GB FO was never really interested in acquiring him.

1 minute ago, deltarich87 said:

I would assume that they did and they didn't line up with the targets that us fans throwing darts at bad teams and average to good WRs had in mind. Cap considerations are huge right now. Especially if they want any shot are re-signing anyone next year.

Lol Shanny rubbing salt in the wound(they probably still make the SB because that defense was insane)

The 49ers probably wouldn't have made the super bowl if they would have played a competent defense and forced Jimmy G to pass for me then 6 times.

Lol Shanny rubbing salt in the wound(they probably still make the SB because that defense was insane)

I've debated this for a long time. If they do make it, it's because they win on the road. Without Sanders, they don't win the division, much less get HFA. Defense was very good so maybe they still go on a run, but Sanders basically won the Rams game late in the year with a few catches late in the game. Without that win, the Seattle game is irrelevant and the Packers were the No. 1 seed. 

Oh, what could have been.