Week 3 GDT: Raiders (2-0) @ Patriots (1-1)

RaidersAreOne

13 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Our run D has been fairly stout? We're allowing 120 yards and 2 rushing TD's per game on 5 ypc. That's absolutely horrible, we rank in the bottom half of the league in every run defense related category. 

We may disagree here, but yes, I'd say we've been pretty stout. Here's why:

1. I'm admittedly discounting QB runs as an indictment of our pass rush. If we had one, I don't think Teddy gets his 26yd, 6.5ypc day week 1. 

2. We held Christian McCaffrey to 97 yards on 23 carrys. He had a long of 15. The guy is the best RB in football. Take away the long run, we held him to a pedestrian 3.72 ypc. 

3. We then had another top tier RB to deal with in Alvin Kamara, who we held to 79 yds on 13 carrys. He had a long of 21. Take away the long, he averaged 4.8. More telling, to me, was that the Saints were forced to abandon the run for large chunks of the game. We didn't necessarily hold him as well as we did McCaffrey, but we rendered their run game to 19 total runs. I would say it a a minor success that we did that well, considering that our Pass D is objectively weaker than our Run D to begin with at all. 

4. Kamara's tds were from 1 and 3 yards out. McCaffrey's were from 3 and 6. At the very least, we weren't being gashed for long TDs by 2 arguably top 5 RBs in the league. 

If one wants to say the overall is bad, I'm ok with that. But when you look into some of the context, it's not been nearly as bad as it could have, considering who our opponents were. 

Take away rbs long runs is exactly how avgs work. Pretty sure you can make argument for most rush defenses taking away the long runs. For example I dont think panthers did a good job stopping our run game. But if you take away Jacobs long run. He only had 79 yards for 3.2 a carry. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You didn't say anything about throwing, you said name a time that Cam was considered a top 10 QB, and I did. He's never been an extremely accurate passer but he has definitely taken strides with his accuracy over the past couple of seasons. He completed like 68% of his passes in 2018 and has looked as accurate as ever this season. 

The whole thing is about throwing 

36 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

We may disagree here, but yes, I'd say we've been pretty stout. Here's why:

1. I'm admittedly discounting QB runs as an indictment of our pass rush. If we had one, I don't think Teddy gets his 26yd, 6.5ypc day week 1. 

2. We held Christian McCaffrey to 97 yards on 23 carrys. He had a long of 15. The guy is the best RB in football. Take away the long run, we held him to a pedestrian 3.72 ypc. 

3. We then had another top tier RB to deal with in Alvin Kamara, who we held to 79 yds on 13 carrys. He had a long of 21. Take away the long, he averaged 4.8. More telling, to me, was that the Saints were forced to abandon the run for large chunks of the game. We didn't necessarily hold him as well as we did McCaffrey, but we rendered their run game to 19 total runs. I would say it a a minor success that we did that well, considering that our Pass D is objectively weaker than our Run D to begin with at all. 

4. Kamara's tds were from 1 and 3 yards out. McCaffrey's were from 3 and 6. At the very least, we weren't being gashed for long TDs by 2 arguably top 5 RBs in the league. 

If one wants to say the overall is bad, I'm ok with that. But when you look into some of the context, it's not been nearly as bad as it could have, considering who our opponents were. 

This is pretty much what Guenther wants to do. Stop the run. Draft big time corners to play man and hope to get coverage sacks. Just take a look at what cincy did prior to Lewis leaving. 

3 hours ago, dante9876 said:

Lol. Yall know darn well guenther ain't bout to do nothing creative for real. Its gonna be the 4 man rush defense with an occasional abram blitz. We hopefully spy cam with a lb. But this crowded the line of scrimmage ain't gonna happen for real.

PG is like a young Rob Ryan, who might make an adjustment here and there. 

56 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Take away rbs long runs is exactly how avgs work. Pretty sure you can make argument for most rush defenses taking away the long runs. For example I dont think panthers did a good job stopping our run game. But if you take away Jacobs long run. He only had 79 yards for 3.2 a carry. 

Agreed, I kind of laughed when I read that lmao. Plus 4.8 is still bad for a Run D lollll. 

16 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Agreed, I kind of laughed when I read that lmao. Plus 4.8 is still bad for a Run D lollll. 

That's the funny thing with box score scouting...

I guess the Colts have a superior one since they've only allowed 85.5ypg? Or does the fact that they've allowed 4.23 and 4.26 in both games negate that? 

You can't have it both ways. They're either a top 5 Run D or they aren't. The Raiders gave up 4.05 ypc against the Panthers and 6.45 against the Saints when you add in that Deonte Harris ran 1 time for 11 yards. 

Stats can be manipulated in all sorts of ways when you're playing with averages. If a team is giving up 6.45 ypc, how in the world would the opponent not have a 100 yard rusher? Only 112 rushing yards across 4 players? That literally makes zero mathematical sense as it would reflect 17 carrys, not 19. 

We've kept two of the top RBs under 100 yds, limited their overall effect, and kept them from busting long gains. I don't care what PFF or any statistical analysis says, I call that a good Run defense. When they have Indianapolis' Run D as top 5 and us at 26...yeah, right. 

Our Run D has not been good this year, please stop trying. Only people that would argue that is Raider fans, and a minority of Raider fans. And stopping New England is not going to prove anything considering their RB core is one of the worst in the league. And no one is box score scouting, Kamara was ripping on us but penalties made them abandon the run, plus Payton’s horrible gameplan.  

Edited by BayRaider