THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL THREAD MIAMI VS JACKSONVILLE

El Ramster

Just now, jrry32 said:

Carr probably wouldn't have made it unless he landed in a perfect situation. He admitted he didn't act right as a young QB.

Same can be said for a lot of guys though. Situation matters. I have no doubt he wasn't a choir boy, but he wasn't Matt Leinart either. Plus, we've seen doofuses rebound and become fairly decent players/people, like Roethlisberger. 

I just mean that Carr had some talent that went wasted. Exceptional? Perhaps not. But again, he wasn't clearly devoid of talent like a Leinart either. 

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

Except he wasn't ruined. And despite his failures, he probably benefited from the actual experience regardless. That's the point.

He wasn't ruined because McVay undid the damage that Fisher did. Your point is problematic. But it's impossible to refute because you've already decided that any QB who failed would have failed anyways. 

1 minute ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Was it experience or actually being surrounded by a competent staff and team? Your're putting WAY too much emphasis on experience. 

Seriously. I don't think Goff benefitted from his rookie experience. He wasn't harmed by it in the long term because of McVay.

• Like 2

It's almost like it's true or something.

LOL. Uh no. It's like saying, "President X isn't responsible for War X because any President in his shoes would have gone to war. And you can't tell me any different." That doesn't make you right. It just makes you unwilling to truly consider anybody else's points.

Just now, jrry32 said:

Seriously. I don't think Goff benefitted from his rookie experience. He wasn't harmed by it in the long term because of McVay.

Considering his rookie year, I'd say it's a testament to his ability that he didn't absolutely shrivel up. That whole situation looked like a disaster.

• Like 1

I said already that being on a competent team is huge. Your assertion is that starting a player as a rookie can 'ruin them'. That wasn't true of Goff.

I didn't say that it would ruin them at all. Please don't put word in my mouth. I was simply saying that QB's CAN benefit from sitting for a year instead of throwing into the fire when your team is in disarray.