THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL THREAD MIAMI VS JACKSONVILLE

El Ramster

4 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

???

I was responding to a point about how a team supposedly sat a QB until they were better for their benefit (Goff) by pointing out they didn't actually sit that player during their 'disasterous' rookie season.

what don't you get?

You're arguing that it clearly didn't negatively impact Goff by using "his career as a whole" as your definitive evidence.

Not only is his career not over, but he has also shown evidence of that negative experience while playing in a system that is extremely QB friendly. 

If McVay never comes, or he leaves, Goff could very much revert back to his disastrous play. 

It's a bad example to bring up as a success story from rookie "experience" for those very easy reasons, and when you have to double back and talk about careers "as a whole", it undermines your argument that it's definitely helpful. If Goff doesn't start his rookie year and his first experience is in McVay's O, it's quite possible, likely even, that he never has a bad season, plays with more confidence, and is never considered a bust. 

What don't you get?

Just now, jrry32 said:

My profession is very much the opposite. Many of the elite lawyers spend their first few years "benched." In my profession, it's called "clerking." Instead of being an advocate and getting courtroom experience, you work for federal judges (and the elite of the elite eventually work for U.S. Supreme Court justices) helping them decide cases.

I almost traded Robinson this week, but my friend changed his mind. I'm very happy with his decision.

so you're still doing work, then.

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

AS someone who hated the hire initially and prefered Kris Richard... I'm coming around to Flores. I just wish he would have the stones to play Tua :P

As someone whose only interest in the Dolphins is my BDL love for Solomon Kindley, I don't dislike the decision to make Tu'a wait a bit.  Coming off serious injury last year, weird/shortened offseason, behind an OL that needed/still needs to prove itself, and watches Fitzpatrick prepare to start.  There's plenty of justification.  

That said, I do think Tu'a should get some starts later in the year.

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

You're arguing that it clearly didn't negatively impact Goff by using "his career as a whole" as your definitive evidence.

Not only is his career not over, but he has also shown evidence of that negative experience while playing in a system that is extremely QB friendly. 

If McVay never comes, or he leaves, Goff could very much revert back to his disastrous play. 

It's a bad example to bring up as a success story from rookie "experience" for those very easy reasons, and when you have to double back and talk about careers "as a whole", it undermines your argument that it's definitely helpful. If Goff doesn't start his rookie year and his first experience is in McVay's O, it's quite possible, likely even, that he never has a bad season, plays with more confidence, and is never considered a bust. 

What don't you get?

Goff is past it now. His success or failure is on him. Can't blame his rookie year for anything that happens moving forward.

5 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

What don't you get?

Bro

You seem to think I was the one who brought up Goff in the first place. I wasn't bringing him up as a 'success story', I was refuting the opposing opposition that 'Goff was better off sitting for a year' by pointing out that 'he didn't'. Jesus Christ lol.

I see what you didn't get now, tho, I guess?

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

So is a backup QB. He's just not getting game experience. Similarly, people clerking aren't getting experience in a courtroom litigating cases.

You'd have to explain to people what clerking really is to get the analogy.  Doing case law research.  Citing precedents, helping to write opinions.  The backup QB is actually a really good comparison.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I really think Brian Flores might buck the trend of BB disciples who fail as HCs.  He really impresses me.

Flores' approach seems the most BB-type approach of any BB coaching tree guy so far. Build through the draft. Get better every rep in practice. Stockpile those picks with trades. Spend the big money on the DB's. 

12 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I really think Brian Flores might buck the trend of BB disciples who fail as HCs.  He really impresses me.

They were horrific last September and October (0-7 and an average defeat of 23 points)

They've been very competitive since then. (6-6 with a -10 total point differential)

I would not call them a good team yet, but he's pulled them out of a very bad place.

Edited by SkippyX

3 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

You'd have to explain to people what clerking really is to get the analogy.  Doing case law research.  Citing precedents, helping to write opinions.  The backup QB is actually a really good comparison.

Very true. Basically, the value of clerking is twofold. (1) You're mentored by an elite member of the profession (a federal judge). (2) You get to observe the good and bad litigators do their jobs (whether that's at trial/argument or through reading briefs/motions). Additionally, you build your research and writing skills by helping the judge decide cases based on those motions or briefs. But like a backup QB, while you are studying how to litigate, you aren't doing it yourself. You're very much observing other people do it.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

My profession is very much the opposite. Many of the elite lawyers spend their first few years "benched." In my profession, it's called "clerking." Instead of being an advocate and getting courtroom experience, you work for federal judges (and the elite of the elite eventually work for U.S. Supreme Court justices) helping them decide cases.

I almost traded Robinson this week, but my friend changed his mind. I'm very happy with his decision.

over here we have to practice two years as a "restricted solicitor" meaning you can't have sole carriage of cases and can only practice under the guidance of an experienced solicitor, then once you have done your two years you can get your unrestricted license

you can get a judge's associate role (which is what our equivalent to clerking is) and follow the judge around but it's a bit less responsibility than a clerkship to one of your judges, it's more a research associate sort of role, preparing memos and such on common law and past judgements for the judge to consider and making summaries of the oral arguments and the like - you still have to be pretty good to get one though; would love to do it in my final year of law school (currently in my third year)

• Like 1