So it begins, do the Bears draft a 1st round QB in 2021?

dafreak

13 hours ago, Epyon said:

I can't say I liked the playcalling more when our main running back only gets 11 carries in a game we where up on points the majority of and should have been burning clock on.

It wasn't nagy calling the plays, but it looked exactly the same to me.

The passing game needs the reps. I have no issue when you are up huge working on some things instead of grinding clock and punting

2 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Here are the rankings of the passing defenses Trubisky has started against in 2020 (by QB Rating Allowed):

DET - 29
NYG - 15
ATL - 27
GNB - 22
DET - 29
HOU - 32

Yes, we need to improve the OL so we can at least be average against good defenses.

Much more difficult is improving at QB, which we also need to do.

3 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Here are the rankings of the passing defenses Trubisky has started against in 2020 (by QB Rating Allowed):

DET - 29
NYG - 15
ATL - 27
GNB - 22
DET - 29
HOU - 32

Regardless of this, if Mitch goes out and balls against MIN JAX and GB and this team goes 3-0 and makes the PO's I think that will go a long way towards changing people's perception of him and this coaching staff.

If he fails and the team fails then there is no question that major changes have to be made for next season and I doubt Mitch returns in any capacity.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-senior-bowl-roster-reveal-what-you-need-to-know

Good article on NFL.  Senior bowl invites. 5 of 8 QB are rostered.  I am really warming up to Trask and hope he’s the pick.  The four other QBs I really want to see as mid to late round options as the bears QB3.  The Oline talent will also be interesting to watch.  

Finally the SEC championship game is Saturday. Trask vs Mac Jones or as I am calling “Da Bears Bowl 2020”    

Trapped on eternal phone calls, and was dicking around with a mock drafterizer and came up with the following, with quite a few trades back. 

team logo
  • CHI
    Dillon Radunz
    OT North Dakota State
    trade icon
  • CHI
    Mac Jones
    QB Alabama
    trade icon
  • CHI
    Kenneth Gainwell
    RB Memphis
    trade icon
  • CHI
    Kyle Trask
    QB Florida

• CHI
    Teven Jenkins
    OT Oklahoma State
    trade icon
  • CHI
    Andre Cisco
    S Syracuse
    trade icon
  • CHI
    Jordan Smith
    EDGE UAB
    trade icon
  • CHI
    Drake Jackson
    OC Kentucky

• CHI
    Dazz Newsome
    WR North Carolina
    trade icon
  • CHI
    Jamie Newman
    QB Georgia

• CHI
    Dante Stills
    DT West Virginia

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Regardless of this, if Mitch goes out and balls against MIN JAX and GB and this team goes 3-0 and makes the PO's I think that will go a long way towards changing people's perception of him and this coaching staff.

If he fails and the team fails then there is no question that major changes have to be made for next season and I doubt Mitch returns in any capacity.

Which would be a mistake, because he's never in his career been a good QB.

It's OK to be excited about the chances of the playoffs. But the organization shouldn't determine Trubisky's future based on that.

30 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Which would be a mistake, because he's never in his career been a good QB.

It's OK to be excited about the chances of the playoffs. But the organization shouldn't determine Trubisky's future based on that.

Well the only reason I'd contemplate bringing him back at this point is if this situation played out and ownership decided to bring back both Pace & the coaching staff for another year. 

I don't know about you but I do not want this current regime picking a new QB high on the draft.

Mitch returning on a fairly modest 1-year prove it deal would be fine but I doubt it happens anyway.

Before you read this, I kindly ask that you take off your "I love Trubisky", "I hate Trubisky", "I don't care about Trubisky" hats and just look at what is being presented. Thank you.

I was having a conversation earlier today and it dawned on me that, for whatever reason, we are one of the few fan bases in the NFL that want to run a young QB out the door. If you look just at statistical production (QB rating is flawed but it is a quick and easy method to compare players), what would we be doing and saying with the following players?

Jared Goff under Sean McVay: 64.4%, 4.7 TD%, 2.2 INT%, 7.8 YPA, 94.8 rating
Carson Wentz under Doug Pederson: 62.7%, 4.5 TD%, 2.0 INT%, 6.7 YPA, 89.2 rating
Kyler Murray under Kliff Kingsbury: 65.6%, 4.3 TD%, 2.2 INT%, 6.9 YPA, 90.8 rating
Josh Allen under Brian Daboll: 60.9%, 4.6 TD%, 2.4 INT%, 7.0 YPA, 87.6 rating
Baker Mayfield (career due to multiple OCs): 61.7%, 5.2 TD%, 3.1 INT%, 7.4 YPA, 88.8 rating

Mitchell Trubisky under Matt Nagy: 64.6%, 4.7 TD%, 2.3 INT%, 6.7 YPA, 89.7 rating

There are inconsistencies, I get it for sure. I've read "bum slayer" on here and twitter, fine. But just step back and look at the total production and compare it to these other "young" QBs listed. Why is Goff a franchise QB? Murray? Allen? (granted Allen is having a hell of a year this season)

What makes anyone think that Kyle Trask or Mac Jones are going to come in here and be better?

54 minutes ago, G08 said:

What makes anyone think that Kyle Trask or Mac Jones are going to come in here and be better?

The offense has to be dumbed down to college levels for Mitch to have success. 

Even seeing the breakdown of last week's tape where mitch played well. He's leaving plays on the field because he lacks the vision, balls, mechanics, or talent to make those plays. Idc if he's statistically the best qb the team has ever had, he still isn't good enough to win rings in the modern era. 

Now granted, he's -=far=- from the only problem on this team... The ol rarely block, the wrs even more rarely block, the play action fakes are terrible, and the coaching staff seemingly can't comprehend offensive rhythm or even just that Corderelle Patterson isn't a running back.... But if you're either part of the problem or part of the solution, it's pretty clear where Mitch sits, and he isn't a solution. 

But at the specific question regarding those two players.... Oof... I very seriously doubt Trask would work for us. Our OL sucks entirely too much for him, similar to how it looked with Foles. Jones I haven't really been able to evaluate... He's got such an elite team around him that it's just hard to project him. 

Edited by Epyon

12 minutes ago, Epyon said:

The offense has to be dumbed down to college levels for Mitch to have success

This is patently false. You're seeing the same concepts that are run by the 49ers and Rams.

Edited by G08

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Before you read this, I kindly ask that you take off your "I love Trubisky", "I hate Trubisky", "I don't care about Trubisky" hats and just look at what is being presented. Thank you.

I was having a conversation earlier today and it dawned on me that, for whatever reason, we are one of the few fan bases in the NFL that want to run a young QB out the door. If you look just at statistical production (QB rating is flawed but it is a quick and easy method to compare players), what would we be doing and saying with the following players?

Carson Wentz under Doug Pederson: 62.7%, 4.5 TD%, 2.0 INT%, 6.7 YPA, 89.2 rating
Kyler Murray under Kliff Kingsbury: 65.6%, 4.3 TD%, 2.2 INT%, 6.9 YPA, 90.8 rating
Baker Mayfield (career due to multiple OCs): 61.7%, 5.2 TD%, 3.1 INT%, 7.4 YPA, 88.8 rating

Mitchell Trubisky under Matt Nagy: 64.6%, 4.7 TD%, 2.3 INT%, 6.7 YPA, 89.7 rating

There are inconsistencies, I get it for sure. I've read "bum slayer" on here and twitter, fine. But just step back and look at the total production and compare it to these other "young" QBs listed. Why is Goff a franchise QB? Murray? Allen? (granted Allen is having a hell of a year this season)

To be fair I don't think any one QB is going to come in here and do a whole lot better than Mitch is under this coaching staff. 

That is why I am not really high on the idea of Matt Nagy getting another shot with his own QB in the draft.

The Nick Foles experiment was such a disaster. Plus how he gave up on Mitch so easily for that crap... how can we really trust him?

Edited by topwop1

1 hour ago, G08 said:

It's not really fair to compare Mitch to guys that are younger. If Murray/Allen/Mayfield are struggling in year 4, they won't be kept either.