So it begins, do the Bears draft a 1st round QB in 2021?

dafreak

34 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Purdy in the top 10 would be a disgraceful selection

I don't know about "disgraceful"...but you're right, in a general sense. I wasn't building a bridge between my two assertions. Merely stating how much Lance is a non-pick, from my point of view. At least in the first round. The Bears will have a bad enough record, and enough draft capital, to get Lawrence, Fields, or Wilson. 

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

I'd much rather have Trask. He's shown to be a very good college QB going up against some NFL caliber competition weekly in the SEC. 

Plus did we not just learn our lesson after taking the raw athlete QB who had good traits but was less proven and played against weaker competition over taking the near sure thing in Watson?

I'm done with this organization overthinking themselves and thinking theyre smarter than everyone else  and taking the wrong players.

Another thing that is cool (sucks for me as a Gators fan too though, but as a prospect it is good) is that FLA has almost zero ground game. They rank 103rd in rushing yards per game out of 127. That isn't something that escapes opposing DCs so they are really focusing on Trask and his receivers (counting Pitts here too). Still he is manipulating the pocket and on a pace that has mirrored Joe Burrow in many metrics last year through 9 games. He's not a perfect prospect and I'd still have concerns with him, but he improved so many things over one season that I think he can still be coached up even more.

I have no issue with taking a raw QB, but you don't put that QB in the situation we did. Came in with WR talent that was laughable, poor OL, poor coaching. Then we had one year of decent talent before being a dumpster fire around him. Coaching has never been a strong point around him so his development has been wasted. Put him in KC as a rookie and he never sniffs Mahomes' production but I think Reid makes him a legitimate starter and potential long-term QB. I'm not defending the pick at all, Watson and especially Mahomes are simply better QBs, but both of them were considered raw and Mahomes' production was a detrimental factor I had to argue against a LOT on here.

Ditto man. We have been able to get a number of solid role players and starters, but at the most important positions in the game - QB, EDGE, OT, and CB (in that order IMO) who have they drafted under Pace that is a playmaker? No QBs, no EDGEs, no OTs, and Johnson has stepped in and done an admiral job for a rookie at a massively difficult position. Even when we have the chance for a major addition like Hunt we don't make the move. Its just frustrating.

We're sitting at 13 rn, pending the results of WAS-PIT. That's near or close enough to grab one of the top guys, more likely Wilson or Lance. I don't see us going better than 2-2 to finish the season, which puts us at best 7-9. 

imo the draft is going to go OT/QB in first two rounds

R1 - Lance/Wilson - QB

R2 - Walker Little/Dude from ND - OT

OR

R1 - Slater/dude from VT - OT

R2 - Jones/Purdy/Trask - QB

I would double dip at OT in round 3 and try and grab that dude from UNI, but i don't think he drops to our third pick. If we somehow manage to trade ARob, take a WR with whatever pick we get for him

On 12/6/2020 at 9:57 PM, Sugashane said:

I have no issue with taking a raw QB, but you don't put that QB in the situation we did. 

You know I'm starting to change my tune in that I'm not going to scrutinize whichever QB that's picked for this team (if they even draft one) so long as it's a new front office that is picking the new QB and they've gone through a much more rigorous evaluation process than what we are hearing the current regime did back in 2017 when they drafted Mitch.

Obviously Lawrence would be the pick if we had first choice but unlike 2017 we won't have our pick at any of them so to me the most realistic target right now that screams potential franchise QB is Zach Wilson who should be the 3rd QB off the board.

I just love the kids swagger and his arm talent is impressive af. Just makes a lot of throws look effortless with his Mahomes like arm angles.

But if the (hopefully new) staff decides that for instance a guy like Trey Lance is the best option then so be it. Even if his limited experience and competition level raises some flags.

I'll support whoever it is at QB. I just want to turn the page on these disastrous couple years and have something to look forward to again at QB.

Edited by topwop1

Watching Kyle Trask play tonight I'm like the kids poise and ability to move around in the pocket to create more time for himself.

I don't know why people are dogging his arm strength..he's made more than a few long throws tonight where he's hit recievers perfectly in stride.

Had one ugly INT that was returned for 6 and another fluke one that bounced off a couple defenders but other than that he's looked pretty good

23 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Watching Kyle Trask play tonight I'm like the kids poise and ability to move around in the pocket to create more time for himself.

I don't know why people are dogging his arm strength..he's made more than a few long throws tonight where he's hit recievers perfectly in stride.

Had one ugly INT that was returned for 6 and another fluke one that bounced off a couple defenders but other than that he's looked pretty good

He's another guy though that just isn't very mobile, and LSU is taking advantage of that tonight. sure he can make most of the throws, but if he can't get out of the pocket, or make something happen when he's out of the pocket, then ultimately he isn't going to be as successful since that is where the league is heading with their QBs nowadays

50 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Last season he had issues with his arm strength, but it was mechanical. He'd have a stiff front leg and sometimes even just pivot it more than step into his throw, and it killed his velocity and caused some long passes to really die. So he really was just throwing with his arm on a lot of throws.

That isn't an issue this year. He's worked on it and has plenty of zip. People are getting enamored with the Mahomes, Allen, and the other guys with howitzers. He doesn't have that but has plenty for any throw you're actually going to scheme that isn't a go route to Tyreek Hill.

56 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

He's another guy though that just isn't very mobile, and LSU is taking advantage of that tonight. sure he can make most of the throws, but if he can't get out of the pocket, or make something happen when he's out of the pocket, then ultimately he isn't going to be as successful since that is where the league is heading with their QBs nowadays

I get what you're saying but you don't have to be overly mobile to become a successful NFL QB. There are plenty of top QBs in the NFL right now who aren't necessarily guys who you'd classify as being very mobile.

I don't know about you guys but I'd rather you give me a QB like Matt Ryan vs a Lamar Jackson even though Jackson is way more exciting to watch.

The problem with trask is that he's basically physically current Tom Brady in arm and mobility...... Neither of those things is going to improve with age, limiting his shelf life (though worth arguing that NOT being used as a runner could improve his shelf life). Beyond that, a lack of mobility and arm strength puts even more importance on the mental side of the game, and you basically need him to mentally be on the level of Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, or Drew Brees to be effective..... where as a more physically gifted prospect (Lamar being a great example), can get away with being way with a lot just on his physical talent.

Personally, I really don't like Trask much, particularly given the state of our OL.

That said, my ideal QB prospect in Zach Wilson certainly has flaws of his own. His injury history and smaller frame makes me wonder if he might not have the same kind of career our last BYU QB McMahon did, where he flames out quickly via injuries.  And that's before considering that we'd likely have to jump to the top 5 for him (costing us capital elsewhere). Finally, his last two games haven't been super impressive statistically. Now last week, I'd argue he has a pretty solid excuse since his receivers "couldn't even catch covid if they tried" against CC, and CC had him under a ton of pressure all game, but his stats right now against San Diego are again pretty deflated (though I'm waiting for the film cutup to actually watch whether that's on him or on his WR again)

This is a very unique year in college football with C19. With alot of games being cancelled and Gm's/coaches/scouts not being able to see particular players at the same level at they usually do and play as many games as we're used to seeing them.....it's going to be really hard to gauge prospects this year. QB's included. 

I would want the FO to draft a QB in the 1st or the 2nd but I'm not so sure that's the way I would do it either anymore. 

If it were up to me, I would ride with a vet QB and Foles in 2021 and wait until 2022 to draft a QB when college fooball (like everything else) has better adapted to the "new" way of life so that the staff has better idea of each player-- in what would be, presumably, a full year.

I'm just afraid right now that this draft is going to lead to a very mixed bag of players when it's all said and done. Alot of early round busts but alot of late round booms.

6 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

This is a very unique year in college football with C19. With alot of games being cancelled and Gm's/coaches/scouts not being able to see particular players at the same level at they usually do and play as many games as we're used to seeing them.....it's going to be really hard to gauge prospects this year. QB's included. 

I would want the FO to draft a QB in the 1st or the 2nd but I'm not so sure that's the way I would do it either anymore. 

If it were up to me, I would ride with a vet QB and Foles in 2021 and wait until 2022 to draft a QB when college fooball (like everything else) has better adapted to the "new" way of life so that the staff has better idea of each player-- in what would be, presumably, a full year.

I'm just afraid right now that this draft is going to lead to a very mixed bag of players when it's all said and done. Alot of early round busts but alot of late round booms.

You can look at this in a number of ways... if there is a QB in the 1st that falls to Bears and the value is right then they should absolutely take him. And if it turns out he kind of sucks ala Josh Rosen and the team has another high pick in the following year's draft then they can always take another QB then.

The thing is though if they bring back Nagy for another season..which is being talked about as a possibility then I would not be on board with them taking a QB high this year and I don't know if Nagy would push for that either seeing as he would have to win right away to keep his job beyond next season and then you have a situation where you have a QB that may not fit a new coaching regime.

Theres also no guarantee that Bears will be in a position to draft a QB high in 2022 so if they have the opportunity the do so in this upcoming draft then they should probably pull the trigger.

This is why the whole front office and coaching staff needs to be flushed out. 

Do it George!

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I will be disappointed but not upset if the Bears go all in on QB in 2022 instead of 2021.

If the QB they want doesn’t fall, or they want to get their system in place before making a major move.

If they went

OT

OT

QB in round 3 that would be fine with me.

Rashawn Slater ❤️