So it begins, do the Bears draft a 1st round QB in 2021?

dafreak

24 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

This is where i'm at. Take Slater or Darrisaw in the 1st, Jones in the 2nd, then someone like Spencer Brown or top WR in the 3rd.

Hire Daboll or Smith as HC

Totally behind that plan.

We still need a veteran QB to start so we don't throw Jones to the wolves.

41 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We are going to need someone to start week 1 of the 2021 season. That person cannot be Nick Foles.

Is Mitch going to have a better offer and spot than the Bears?

Will the Bears have a better option that Mitch?

It isn't excitement about Mitch. It is the realization that they may not have a better option than each other.

Who knows but yes I believe he will because I do not believe the Bears will be offering him anything.

What were some fans opining for from a Bears QB?

Greater than 60% completion percentage, 2-to-1 TD-to-INT ratio, 7.0+ YPA, 90+ rating? Something like that?

Trubisky under Matt Nagy: 23-12 record, 64.6%, 54 TDs, 27 INTs, 6.7 YPA, 89.7 rating.

94.5 rating for the season.

I'm going to wait and see how the rest of this seasons unfolds before I start pounding the table for drafting a QB high, etc.

9 minutes ago, G08 said:

Greater than 60% completion percentage, 2-to-1 TD-to-INT ratio, 7.0+ YPA, 90+ rating? Something like that?

Trubisky under Matt Nagy: 23-12 record, 64.6%, 54 TDs, 27 INTs, 6.7 YPA, 89.7 rating.

I'm going to wait and see how the rest of this seasons unfolds before I start pounding the table for drafting a QB high, etc.

Play well against a good opponent / win out this season and then we can talk. Let's start with beating the Vikings and Packers this season, and by beating I mean he has a good game and is the reason they won.

Stats would not show us this, only watching would. 

13 minutes ago, G08 said:

He has looked really good the last 2 weeks. Unfortunately that's 2 weeks. He had more than 2 good weeks in 2018 and s*** hit the fan last year and this. Whether that's Trubisky or Nagy, no one knows (no one knows here anyway). Let's see him play this well consistently

12 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

Play well against a good opponent / win out this season and then we can talk. Let's start with beating the Vikings and Packers this season, and by beating I mean he has a good game and is the reason they won.

Stats would not show us this, only watching would. 

9 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

He has looked really good the last 2 weeks. Unfortunately that's 2 weeks. He had more than 2 good weeks in 2018 and s*** hit the fan last year and this. Whether that's Trubisky or Nagy, no one knows (no one knows here anyway). Let's see him play this well consistently

These are fair takes and I am inclined to agree.

I don't think it's a coincidence that he's playing more free and being more demanding about how he wants the offense to be run since he was benched. Nagy had a cool story on the Robinson TD at the end of the first half where Trubisky told him he wants to run that play and that he'll find a way to make it work. And then he made it work.

Nagy's scheme isn't working here, that much was proven with Trubisky being benched and now Foles being benched. Focusing on the run and incorporating boots, nakeds and play action off that IS working. Let's see how the rest of the season plays out.

If you compare the numbers, he literally is Ryan Tannehill in Miami. We saw how that turned out once they played to his strengths.

This is what I am doing.

I am bringing Mitch back on a 1 year deal if I can. If not I look for another option in that 1 year 8-10 million price range. Jacoby Brissett maybe.

I sit at 16-18 and hope Lance or Wilson fall to me or close enough for a short move.

If not... I take an OT.

I wait in the 2nd to see where Trask and Jones start to fall. If one hits 48 or close, I take them.

If not, I take another OT.

In round 3 I take my highest rated QB.

• Like 1

Where I'm at right now is this:

If Wilson isn't taken at #2 over Fields, I'm trying to go up and get him every pick thereafter until he's off the board. I highly doubt we're in a position to get to #3 anymore, and I expect him off the board by pick #5 so it's pretty likely he's out of our range now.

I wouldn't trade up for Fields, but I expect him to also be off the board by pick #5.

Lance, I might not even draft at our spot. He needs a very specific situation to work.

Beyond that, I'm not sure we can bank on Trask or Mac Jones being there with our 2nd, and frankly I'd rather have a 5th year option regardless, so I'd probably be trading down, accruing another pick, and then picking Trask or Jones as late as possible in the first.

And to be clear, I'm not even all that enthusiastic about any QBs not named Wilson (Though Fields I think, is a better version of Biscuit), and even there I have more doubts than I did on Mahomes coming out (and specifically because of durability/frame/injury history concerns)..... but I don't think this franchise can afford to miss out on any of the "top 6" QBs this draft, and I think any QB pick needs to secure a 5th year option.

14 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Where I'm at right now is this:

If Wilson isn't taken at #2 over Fields, I'm trying to go up and get him every pick thereafter until he's off the board. I highly doubt we're in a position to get to #3 anymore, and I expect him off the board by pick #5 so it's pretty likely he's out of our range now.

I wouldn't trade up for Fields, but I expect him to also be off the board by pick #5.

Lance, I might not even draft at our spot. He needs a very specific situation to work.

Beyond that, I'm not sure we can bank on Trask or Mac Jones being there with our 2nd, and frankly I'd rather have a 5th year option regardless, so I'd probably be trading down, accruing another pick, and then picking Trask or Jones as late as possible in the first.

And to be clear, I'm not even all that enthusiastic about any QBs not named Wilson (Though Fields I think, is a better version of Biscuit), and even there I have more doubts than I did on Mahomes coming out (and specifically because of durability/frame/injury history concerns)..... but I don't think this franchise can afford to miss out on any of the "top 6" QBs this draft, and I think any QB pick needs to secure a 5th year option.

They could always take an OT in the 1st and trade back into the 1st

Just now, beardown3231 said:

They could always take an OT in the 1st and trade back into the 1st

Then we're effectively "trading up" to secure an OT instead of "trading down" and getting another pick.... I'm not sure any OT other than maybe Sewell is worth that asset differential.

I’m not going to pretend that I’m some sort of scout, armchair or otherwise.  so I’ll trust you guys when you say that Zac Wilson is a really good QB prospect.  But what i do know about him (lesser competition, smaller frame, injury history), he just reeks of someone who will wow a lot of people during the season, but once the combine rolls around, teams will get a closer look at him and he will start fall down draft boards.  Am i alone in thinking this?  Or am i missing something?

12 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

I’m not going to pretend that I’m some sort of scout, armchair or otherwise.  so I’ll trust you guys when you say that Zac Wilson is a really good QB prospect.  But what i do know about him (lesser competition, smaller frame, injury history), he just reeks of someone who will wow a lot of people during the season, but once the combine rolls around, teams will get a closer look at him and he will start fall down draft boards.  Am i alone in thinking this?  Or am i missing something?

You may be right. I have a feeling he will go later than people are expecting him to..like somewhere in the 10-20 pick range. I think this team will have a realistic shot at him

• Like 1