So it begins, do the Bears draft a 1st round QB in 2021?

dafreak

30 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

You may be right. I have a feeling he will go later than people are expecting him to..like somewhere in the 10-20 pick range. I think this team will have a realistic shot at him

fwiw I've read  opinions that he will go later on those concerns.... but also read that "sources/insiders" had him potentially going above Fields for #2

Hard to tell what's real or not with predraft info.

That said, I see zero way he gets past pick 5.... There's simply too many teams in the top 15 that need a QB.

7 hours ago, G08 said:

What were some fans opining for from a Bears QB?

Greater than 60% completion percentage, 2-to-1 TD-to-INT ratio, 7.0+ YPA, 90+ rating? Something like that?

Trubisky under Matt Nagy: 23-12 record, 64.6%, 54 TDs, 27 INTs, 6.7 YPA, 89.7 rating.

94.5 rating for the season.

I'm going to wait and see how the rest of this seasons unfolds before I start pounding the table for drafting a QB high, etc.

I think we need to be fair in this and include his rushing TDs and yards to his totals.

Total games - 49 (remember 1 postseason appearance)

Total yards - 10,893

Total TDs - 69

Total INTs - 34

Fumbles lost - 10

So per game he is averaging 222.3 yards per game, 1.41 TDs per game, 0.9 turnovers per game. Offenses in his game have totaled 1044 points in 49 games, or an average of 21.6 PPG. Normally I like to take away their top 5 games and bottom 5 games to rid yourself of outliers but that would be a significant chunk of his games. I mean his one monster game vs TB is 10% of his total TD passes.

So I'm not seeing a lot of reason to call him anything more than a solid reserve. Even with a great defense on average covering him he has not been able to consistently put up points, even the above stats are slightly inflated since he is getting credit for the points Foles put up vs ATL, the points vs NO that he did nothing but rush once at, the points from MIN when he got the cheap shot from Smith, etc. Surely not for any real money, beating up on bad defenses and getting shut down by top defenses isn't worth big money.

Now would I take him as a back up for a cheap deal? Hell yeah, but why would he want to stay here to make back up money?  Why not go somewhere with a better track record at QB development and see if they can get you to a higher level? I wish him well, he is a good kid but not the one worth making a real investment in IMO.

Great points! I think my exuberance stems from the offense evolving into what he does best. Small sample size but if this upward trajectory continues and Nagy/Lazor/DeFilippo/Ragone show the ability to scheme off these plays, we could be onto something. 

Again, it also could be much ado about nothing. Regardless, we ostensibly have a playoff game this Sunday against Minnesota. I'll take "being alive" week 15 in the NFL every single time. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, G08 said:

Great points! I think my exuberance stems from the offense evolving into what he does best. Small sample size but if this upward trajectory continues and Nagy/Lazor/DeFilippo/Ragone show the ability to scheme off these plays, we could be onto something. 

Again, it also could be much ado about nothing. Regardless, we ostensibly have a playoff game this Sunday against Minnesota. I'll take "being alive" week 15 in the NFL every single time. 

I do not think this is an upward trajectory.

I think the coaches are finally calling an offense that everyone can execute and now they are playing  up to their talent level. The issue is that they have bum slaying talent. They are going to struggle more against Minnesota and GB.

The Bears OL, when the coaches let them do what they can actually do at the right positions, can beat up a bad defense.

The Bears OL, when the coaches let them do what they can actually do at the right positions, cannot beat up a solid or good defense. That is why we need to improve the talent while also keeping the coaching at the same level or higher.

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I do not think this is an upward trajectory.

I think the coaches are finally calling an offense that everyone can execute and now they are playing  up to their talent level. The issue is that they have bum slaying talent. They are going to struggle more against Minnesota and GB.

The Bears OL, when the coaches let them do what they can actually do at the right positions, can beat up a bad defense.

The Bears OL, when the coaches let them do what they can actually do at the right positions, cannot beat up a solid or good defense. That is why we need to improve the talent while also keeping the coaching at the same level or higher.

I disagree from a statistical standpoint as well as schematic standpoint. This is a different offense and they are finding success. You play who you have on your schedule; for example the Texans are/were giving up less points per game than the Vikings. Recall in week 10 we put up 6 offensive points against them with Nick Foles and Nagy's offense.

Again, could be something; could be nothing.

Let's see what happens this week.

52 minutes ago, G08 said:

I disagree from a statistical standpoint as well as schematic standpoint. This is a different offense and they are finding success. You play who you have on your schedule; for example the Texans are/were giving up less points per game than the Vikings. Recall in week 10 we put up 6 offensive points against them with Nick Foles and Nagy's offense.

Again, could be something; could be nothing.

Let's see what happens this week.

This is the week 1-3 offense.

24 minutes ago, G08 said:

Better play caller now, if you ask me...

Sure.

The bones of this offense are the same. Early down runs, play action, roll outs.

I liked the play calling more as well, I also thought Mitch through the ball more accurately and with more conviction that we have seen. Robinson sideline bucket throw, Robinson back shoulder to the goal line, Robinson TD, Robinson almost TD on the slot fade, were all trust throws and were on the mark.

57 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Sure.

The bones of this offense are the same. Early down runs, play action, roll outs.

I liked the play calling more as well, I also thought Mitch through the ball more accurately and with more conviction that we have seen. Robinson sideline bucket throw, Robinson back shoulder to the goal line, Robinson TD, Robinson almost TD on the slot fade, were all trust throws and were on the mark.

I even liked the side arms, dude looked like he was playing free.

Still, only three games and two of them were losses. 

19 minutes ago, G08 said:

I even liked the side arms, dude looked like he was playing free.

Still, only three games and two of them were losses. 

even though he fumbled at the end of the lions game, i wouldn't put that loss on him - he played really well.

I'm of the belief that we need/should draft a qb in round 1-2 this year, but also need to evaluate mitch over the next 3 weeks. these past 3 games are exactly what we've all wanted nagy to do with mitch, and he hasn't looked like a complete suckfest outside of a couple bad throws against GB and the fumble against DET (which i would argue is more Ifedi and playcalling fault)

I can't say I liked the playcalling more when our main running back only gets 11 carries in a game we where up on points the majority of and should have been burning clock on.

It wasn't nagy calling the plays, but it looked exactly the same to me.

8 hours ago, Epyon said:

I can't say I liked the playcalling more when our main running back only gets 11 carries in a game we where up on points the majority of and should have been burning clock on.

It wasn't nagy calling the plays, but it looked exactly the same to me.

Because even though Lazor is calling plays it's still Nagy's offense and everything else is still structured around it.