What's different for Josh Allen this year?

Apparition

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

What's the excuse for last night?

LOL.  You really gonna do this?  Jump on one bad game?  As if great QBs don't have a poor showing every once and awhile. 

Keep betting against Josh Allen.  Over the long term it will be a losing proposition. 

Just now, VanS said:

LOL.  You really gonna do this?  Jump on one bad game?  As if great QBs don't have a poor showing every once and awhile. 

Keep betting against Josh Allen.  Over the long term it will be a losing proposition. 

No.  I did it on purpose to prove a point.  I mentioned I was going to wait for a longer period before I make an opinion on him, but you've had this opinion made since before he was drafted.  Yet somehow the fact that he's limited throwing interceptions has somehow validated your opinion.

10 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

What's the excuse for the first 4 games? I'd avoid the knee jerk reactions you see in this thread and others. Let the season play out. He's on a great trajectory. Time will tell if he ends up being a great QB or not. Not 4 games. Not 1 game. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the craziness that Josh Allen brings to the league. 

I wasn't clear enough.  I wasn't saying that in any real serious context.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

No.  I did it on purpose to prove a point.  I mentioned I was going to wait for a longer period before I make an opinion on him, but you've had this opinion made since before he was drafted.  Yet somehow the fact that he's limited throwing interceptions has somehow validated your opinion.

I think you are confusing projecting a player versus reacting to their play once they are in the league.  I was sold on him as a prospect before the draft.  Now that's he's in the league I evaluate him based on his current play.  I've just been sold on his play for a longer period of time than most.  Maybe its because I don't let the stat sheet influence my take on a player but I thought Josh Allen was a great QB since his rookie year.  This year the stats have caught up with his ability IMO because of the improved talent around him. 

2 minutes ago, VanS said:

He's been great on 3rd downs and in the 4th quarter practically his entire career.  He's a very clutch QB. 

He has been?  On 3rd downs, he's got AY/A of 6.62.  In the Q4, he's got an ANY/A of 8.75.  Just for comparison, Aaron Rodgers has 9.33 AY/A on 3rd down and 8.30 in the Q4. Tom Brady is 7.63 AY/A on 3rd down and and 7.75 AY/A in Q4.  He's been damn good in the 4th quarter, but he's far from elite on 3rd downs.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

He has been?  On 3rd downs, he's got AY/A of 6.62.  In the Q4, he's got an ANY/A of 8.75.  Just for comparison, Aaron Rodgers has 9.33 AY/A on 3rd down and 8.30 in the Q4. Tom Brady is 7.63 AY/A on 3rd down and and 7.75 AY/A in Q4.  He's been damn good in the 4th quarter, but he's far from elite on 3rd downs.

Interesting numbers.  Guess I'm remembering all the 3rd downs he converts in the 4th quarter and valuing those in my memory over the first 3 quarters.  

I don't care much for stats.  I base my opinions on players based on just watching them play.  When I have watched Josh Allen play the last 3 years I have seen an incredibly clutch player. 

6 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I think, despite last night, the Bills have a good one here. Reminds me a lot of Big Ben in his early days. I was quite giddy when the Bills originally drafted him due to his lack of accuracy but he's actually shown the capacity to improve - and drastically. I'm pretty high on him being the Bills QB for years to come. Hopefully, Tua vs Josh will be a great division rivalry for many years to come.

That'd be awesome. As weird as it sounds, I'm a bit disappointed the rivalry has damn near completely died off. I was a bit too young for the Kelly vs Marino days. Would love to have two talented teams battle it out again. The Pats are always going to be a thorn in our sides, though. Belichick is too damn good...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WizeGuy said:

That'd be awesome. As weird as it sounds, I'm a bit disappointed the rivalry has damn near completely died off. I was a bit too young for the Kelly vs Marino days.

I almost punched the wall in 1989 when on the last freaking play of the game Kelly ran the ball from the 8-yd line into the end zone for a Bills' come-from-behind win. Thanks for bringing that up. To me that game was the start of the rivalry. 

Allen's 3rd season is impressive, now it's arm rather than legs. He made the jump. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Ironic.

The only irony is the people wanting to crap on him after one bad game in 2020 We’re the same people saying 4 games isn’t a big enough sample size to crown him.

The people pounding their chest after 4 games, or his last 15 going back to last year aren’t going to shy away after one Down game either. 

Both sides are over analyzing to fit their narrative. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

The only irony is the people wanting to crap on him after one bad game in 2020 We’re the same people saying 4 games isn’t a big enough sample size to crown him.

The people pounding their chest after 4 games, or his last 15 going back to last year aren’t going to shy away after one Down game either. 

Both sides are over analyzing to fit their narrative. 

That's kinda what my point was originally, before being told that it had been enough games.

7 hours ago, VanS said:

Interesting numbers.  Guess I'm remembering all the 3rd downs he converts in the 4th quarter and valuing those in my memory over the first 3 quarters.  

I don't care much for stats.  I base my opinions on players based on just watching them play.  When I have watched Josh Allen play the last 3 years I have seen an incredibly clutch player. 

is this why you get it wrong on so many players?

• Like 2