What's different for Josh Allen this year?

Apparition

20 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

When we played Wyoming, he legit sucked but the tools were there. And apparently that wasn’t his only bad game that year.

His stat line was 9/24, 64 yards, 1 pick. We weren’t anything special that year, either.

I watched several of the games at Wyoming where he "sucked" and came away as impressed as I am right now when he's dominating the NFL.  Don't be prisoners of the box score.  You gotta watch the tape.

For example, the first tape I watched on Josh Allen in 2018 was the infamous Iowa game.  He apparently "sucked" to many in that game.  I went there first cause I just wanted to get his evaluation out of the way.  I wanted confirm he was a bust.  Two plays in and my jaw was on the floor.  I was shocked by the velocity and accuracy of his passes on the far hash out route.  I had never seen a QB throw like him on that route.  Then I watched him have to escape the pocket time after time because the Iowa d-line was manhandling his o-line yet he kept making plays.  I saw his receivers drop accurate pass after accurate pass cause they had poor hands.  His offense didn't have any gimme throws to pad the stats.  Everything was high degree of difficulty and he was making plays.  Josh actually had Wyoming in the game for most of the first half until a pick late in the half when he was trying to make a play to will his team back broke the game for Iowa.  He also had a sure TD dropped early in the game by one of his receivers that could have given them the lead. 

All in all I came away throughly impressed with Josh Allen from his Iowa game that people were saying was awful because he didn't put up good stats.  That's when I realized he was a great player whose ability and talent wasn't being fully captured by the box score.  I went from wanting to confirm he was a bust to him becoming my #1 rated QB in the loaded 2018 QB class. 

Edited by VanS

1 minute ago, Trentwannabe said:

It is funny how the narrative has changed. His worst game this season would have been one of his better performances last season.

that's what i was thinking. this wasn't a good game for allen but if he can keep up a similar level of play to the first few weeks (if not quite matching the world-beating mvp stuff) and yesterday is his floor, that's a good sign.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

What's the excuse for last night?

What's the excuse for the first 4 games? I'd avoid the knee jerk reactions you see in this thread and others. Let the season play out. He's on a great trajectory. Time will tell if he ends up being a great QB or not. Not 4 games. Not 1 game. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the craziness that Josh Allen brings to the league. 

• Like 4

one thing i will say though, as much as i like allen moving forward, the situation with all the drops last night reminded me of mariota post-elbow injury when his accuracy had really gone to hell. at the time we were berating our receivers for dropping too many passes, but the simple fact of the matter is even if you can get two hands on it you're less likely to drop the ball if the quarterback hits you on the numbers/in stride instead of slightly high, slightly low, slightly behind, etc, and that was the case with a lot of allen's throws yesterday. you would hope that the receivers can come up with more of them than they did, but as soon as we switched to tannehill, boom, the drops all but disappeared. it's one of those things where allen is talented enough to make up for some of those routine passes that are a little bit off but it would really help the efficiency of the offense to get right on that front.

He is still one of the best QBs in the league, but he was never as highly rated. Ryan Tannehill is simply better. Tannehill has the exact same stats as Lamar Jackson in their last 17 games, and Jackson has a lot more help with way worse passing skills as Jackson simply is not a good thrower. Also Tannehill has nearly the exact same rushing stats as Jackson too. 

I think, despite last night, the Bills have a good one here. Reminds me a lot of Big Ben in his early days. I was quite giddy when the Bills originally drafted him due to his lack of accuracy but he's actually shown the capacity to improve - and drastically. I'm pretty high on him being the Bills QB for years to come. Hopefully, Tua vs Josh will be a great division rivalry for many years to come.

• Like 1