What's different for Josh Allen this year?

Apparition

Also to go along with this thread, we need to put some respect on Stefon Digg's name. He is on pace to have the best season of his career by far. He continuously cooks opposing db's and you can tell how much Allen trusts him. I'm not sure where I'd rank him overall but he's playing like a top 5 wide out right now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

How have I not seen one mention of Brian Daboll?

He’s been brilliant these past two seasons and deserves tremendous credit for Allen’s growth. 

I wouldnt go that far. Daboll has been much better calling plays this year but he has struggled the past 2 years. I think most of the credit belongs to Ken Dorsey

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

I just wanted to point out that having better receivers doesn’t magically make you more accurate. 

I know.  I'm also amused by all the he's more accurate talk now.  Its almost like folks don't wanna admit they were wrong about him being inaccurate before so now they would rather admit the somehow made this dramatic improvement in something they originally said you couldn't improve.

Josh Allen was always an accurate passer.  He just didn't have the playmakers around him in the past to show it with consistency.  Now he has the players around him to showcase the full arsenal of his skill set on every down.

3 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

I wouldnt go that far. Daboll has been much better calling plays this year but he has struggled the past 2 years. I think most of the credit belongs to Ken Dorsey

I remember watching numerous games last year and coming away impressed with how well he schemes receivers open. I distinctly remember because people were saying Josh Allen was producing with subpar receivers, yet every time I watched Bills games (which was quite a bit) Bills receivers were getting open fine under Daboll.

5 hours ago, scar988 said:

No, but improved mechanics would. And that's what I'm seeing from him this year.

If all it takes is improved mechanics then how come every QB can't become more accurate?  I remember hearing all the time before this season with Josh Allen that accuracy is something you either have or don't have.  Now all of sudden you can go from wildly inaccurate to MVP caliber accuracy in one off-season just off improving his mechanics?  Come on now.  You don't go from a guy people say couldn't hit the broad side of the barn to becoming a leading candidate for league MVP in one off-season based on "improved mechanics".  Maybe just maybe he was already a lot better throwing the ball than people wanted to give him credit for the last few years.  And all we're seeing right now is the stat sheet matching the talent he always had because of the improved talent around him. 

It wasn't that long ago (Week 1 of this year) that people were still mocking his accuracy because he missed a wide open receiver in the end zone against the Jets.  So its not like the one or two wildly inaccurate passes per game aren't part of Josh Allen's repertoire anymore.  Its just a lot harder to play up those misses now that he's throwing for 300 yards and 3 TDs every game.  Josh Allen was never as inaccurate as people made him out to be.  He was always a more accurate passer than the stat sheet showed.

6 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I remember watching numerous games last year and coming away impressed with how well he schemes receivers open. I distinctly remember because people were saying Josh Allen was producing with subpar receivers, yet every time I watched Bills games (which was quite a bit) Bills receivers were getting open fine under Daboll.

Daboll has had some tremendous play calls but there were many times he would put Josh in a position to fail. Especially with QB keepers in the redzone. Allen is good running the ball but there were many times that teams knew it was coming and he still ran it and Josh had to take a huge it. Allen is so much better when it isnt designed and takes the defense completely off guard. That is just one example. He have one tremendous play call in a game but overall he wasnt good. He has had times were he took his foot off the gas in the 2nd half and then offense struggles. Luckily he has been more consistent as a play caller this year and just lets Josh do his thing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VanS said:

If all it takes is improved mechanics then how come every QB can't become more accurate?  I remember hearing all the time before this season with Josh Allen that accuracy is something you either have or don't have.  Now all of sudden you can go from wildly inaccurate to MVP caliber accuracy in one off-season just off improving his mechanics?  Come on now.  You don't go from a guy people say couldn't hit the broad side of the barn to becoming a leading candidate for league MVP in one off-season based on "improved mechanics".  Maybe just maybe he was already a lot better throwing the ball than people wanted to give him credit for the last few years.  And all we're seeing right now is the stat sheet matching the talent he always had because of the improved talent around him. 

It wasn't that long ago (Week 1 of this year) that people were still mocking his accuracy because he missed a wide open receiver in the end zone against the Jets.  So its not like the one or two wildly inaccurate passes per game aren't part of Josh Allen's repertoire anymore.  Its just a lot harder to play up those misses now that he's throwing for 300 yards and 3 TDs every game.  Josh Allen was never as inaccurate as people made him out to be.  He was always a more accurate passer than the stat sheet showed.

He had some great throws at times. But his issue was consistency with mechanics more than actually throwing an inaccurate ball. He still misses, but every QB still misses wildly on 2-3 balls a game anyway. regardless of who it is.