2021 Draft Thread

John232

4 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

Thanks for the input, that was great. So, what do you think of his fit in the 49ers' scheme and where do you see him being drafted?

I think he'd be okay... I don't think that his warts aren't anything that can't be ironed out...but he may be a little inconsistent at first given the complexities of our scheme. The biggest thing is though that I just don't see Shanny doing it. I think he's a solid day two pick; he's not sneaking into round 1 and unless he bombs the combine or something, he's not going to slip to day 3. I'd assume back half of round 2, so we are at a great spot if we want him. 

But again, I just don't think that Shanny is handing that over to a rookie right now. I think it's Richburg, Mack or Brunskill next year. It's such an important position and I think for Shanny, so much of that is built on trust and give the complexities of the blocking, I think that he has to have someone he trusts in that spot. I think that there's a good chance that he's looking center at some point and will take a guy, but I see someone more middle rounds. Lindstrom has some issues that won't translate well, but I think that Shanny would rather take a shot on that in round 4/5 than Myers in round 2. You can iron out Lindstrom moving around. Jimmy Morrissey is a guy that I think is worthwhile as a flier and James Empey will already be familiar with some of the zone concepts of our offense coming out of BYU, so he could easily be a guy that Shanny has interest in to groom. The guy who could be really interesting is Tyler Linderbaum. Iowa is one of the best colleges and developing offensive linemen. I'm not sure where he's going to go...if he went round 2, I wouldn't be surprised, but he's super raw (only been a lineman for 2 years), so that may knock him down. But he was great this year.  If he slips into our comp 3 / round 4 area, I'd be very much trying to get him, I think. 

3 minutes ago, Ninerholic said:

Yeah. I was interested in the possibility of drafting him. Well he shot down my draft board. Yikes

All his flaws really showed. The arm is an issue. I get someone taking him on day two, I just don't have a ton of interest in it

22 minutes ago, Forge said:

All his flaws really showed. The arm is an issue. I get someone taking him on day two, I just don't have a ton of interest in it

It's why I really don't like QBs with no athleticism lately. You need essentially perfect timing and adjustments. Good protection. The QB rarely can make things right that aren't. And with a pandemic still hanging around and weapons that at their best are in and out of the lineup. With a right side and center that will be vulnerable no matter what we do, someone that can right a couple of mistakes would be nice.

• Like 2

looking at tankathon, here is what we want to happen in week 17

the cowboys to beat the giants. if the giants win, we are still behind 2 of the NFCE teams who would have 6 wins. If the cowboys win, it would be best if washington also wins because because dallas and washington both need to get to 7 wins. If the giants beat washington, then it doesnt matter who wins SNF, because at least two teams will have 6 wins and will draft in front of us regardless. The cowboys winning and then washington losing would be the same as the giants winning (we would be behind 2 NFCE teams)

chargers to beat KC to get to 7 wins (no mahomes and others, I like our chances)

Minnesota to beat DET to get to 7 wins (no stafford probably and minnesotas offense will do enough against that terrible defense)

NE to beat the NYJ to get to 7 wins (complete coin flip lmao)

Denver to beat the raiders to get to 6 wins (they are the only team we have a tiebreaker with

None of the other games matter for our draft positioning, except if we win, then we will potentially draft 16th if the raiders lose (15th if they lose). Wouldnt that be a crock of ****, drafting behind the raiders after the season we just had and after they were viewed as a wildcard team in the stacked AFC late into the season.  

So, if we get Cowboys-Washington to win, LAC, MIN, den and NE to all win, we will draft 10th. That is the absolute highest we can go. 

Looking at all of this actually makes me feel better about last weeks win, because even losing last week, and all of the above ^^ happens, we still would have drafted 10th/11th (10th if denver beats the raiders, and 11th if the raiders win - unless something crazy happens like CAR beating NO, or DET beating MIN, at which point we could have been 8/9th at the absolute best, but realistically that is not going to happen with home field on the line for NO and no stafford in DET with that horrible defense) meaning our Arizona win will only cost us basically 1 or potentially 0 draft spots IF all of the above happens

EDIT: added in the fact Denver loses the tiebreaker to us. Didn't realize that we had anyone beat in SOS so I didn't bother looking 

Edited by N4L
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, N4L said:

looking at tankathon, here is what we want to happen in week 17

the cowboys to beat the giants. if the giants win, we are still behind 2 of the NFCE teams who would have 6 wins. If the cowboys win, it would be best if washington also wins because because dallas and washington both need to get to 7 wins. If the giants beat washington, then it doesnt matter who wins SNF, because at least two teams will have 6 wins and will draft in front of us regardless. The cowboys winning and then washington losing would be the same as the giants winning (we would be behind 2 NFCE teams)

chargers to beat KC to get to 7 wins (no mahomes and others, I like our chances)

Minnesota to beat DET to get to 7 wins (no stafford probably and minnesotas offense will do enough against that terrible defense)

NE to beat the NYJ to get to 7 wins (complete coin flip lmao)

None of the other games matter for our draft positioning, except if we win, then we will potentially draft 16th if the raiders lose (15th if they lose). Wouldnt that be a crock of ****, drafting behind the raiders after the season we just had and after they were viewed as a wildcard team in the stacked AFC late into the season.  

So, if we get Cowboys-Washington to win, LAC, MIN, and NE to all win, we will draft 11th. That is the absolute highest we can go. 

Looking at all of this actually makes me feel better about last weeks win, because even losing last week, and all of the above ^^ happens, we still would have drafted 10th/11th (10th if denver beats the raiders, and 11th if the raiders win - unless something crazy happens like CAR beating NO, or DET beating MIN, at which point we could have been 8/9th at the absolute best, but realistically that is not going to happen with home field on the line for NO and no stafford in DET with that horrible defense) meaning our Arizona win will only cost us basically 1 or potentially 0 draft spots IF all of the above happens

Well then 11th it shall be! Fingers crossed.

Yeah, the arizona win didnt hurt us to much, the rams win is what bumbped us down a decent amount

So I hadn't looked at Kiper's rankings all year and wow, there are kind of some hot takes in there lol. 

• Justin Fields is still his #3 overall player. Wilson is #14...and then shocker!....Mac Jones 15th overall...with Trey Lance at #16
  • Jaelen Phillips is higher on his big board (#12...wow) than Rousseau (#20). I'd say right nw the former is expected to go day 2 and the latter in the top 10, so this is definitely a bit of a hot take. 
  • Franks as his #7 QB, Dustin Crum at #8. Franks I just odn't think is very good (super upside), I haven't watched Crum. 
  • Josh Myers as his #7 center. Wow. 
  • Paye at #25

There's some good and spicy stuff in there. 

7 hours ago, Forge said:

So I hadn't looked at Kiper's rankings all year and wow, there are kind of some hot takes in there lol. 

• Justin Fields is still his #3 overall player. Wilson is #14...and then shocker!....Mac Jones 15th overall...with Trey Lance at #16
  • Jaelen Phillips is higher on his big board (#12...wow) than Rousseau (#20). I'd say right nw the former is expected to go day 2 and the latter in the top 10, so this is definitely a bit of a hot take. 
  • Franks as his #7 QB, Dustin Crum at #8. Franks I just odn't think is very good (super upside), I haven't watched Crum. 
  • Josh Myers as his #7 center. Wow. 
  • Paye at #25

There's some good and spicy stuff in there. 

I say it year after year after year. Kiper is the worst media draft analyst by a longggg shot (and most of them aren't very good to begin with, so that's saying a lot).

Kiper has a job because he was the first to do it back in the 80's and really pioneered it.

Hardest thing with Mac Jones to evaluate is how he will deal with pressure and having to throw in really tight windows. But the way he throws the ball is a thing of beauty. Wouldn't totally mind picking him in the second but he scares the heck out of me in the first.

On 12/30/2020 at 5:08 PM, Forge said:

I think he'd be okay... I don't think that his warts aren't anything that can't be ironed out...but he may be a little inconsistent at first given the complexities of our scheme. The biggest thing is though that I just don't see Shanny doing it. I think he's a solid day two pick; he's not sneaking into round 1 and unless he bombs the combine or something, he's not going to slip to day 3. I'd assume back half of round 2, so we are at a great spot if we want him. 

But again, I just don't think that Shanny is handing that over to a rookie right now. I think it's Richburg, Mack or Brunskill next year. It's such an important position and I think for Shanny, so much of that is built on trust and give the complexities of the blocking, I think that he has to have someone he trusts in that spot. I think that there's a good chance that he's looking center at some point and will take a guy, but I see someone more middle rounds. Lindstrom has some issues that won't translate well, but I think that Shanny would rather take a shot on that in round 4/5 than Myers in round 2. You can iron out Lindstrom moving around. Jimmy Morrissey is a guy that I think is worthwhile as a flier and James Empey will already be familiar with some of the zone concepts of our offense coming out of BYU, so he could easily be a guy that Shanny has interest in to groom. The guy who could be really interesting is Tyler Linderbaum. Iowa is one of the best colleges and developing offensive linemen. I'm not sure where he's going to go...if he went round 2, I wouldn't be surprised, but he's super raw (only been a lineman for 2 years), so that may knock him down. But he was great this year.  If he slips into our comp 3 / round 4 area, I'd be very much trying to get him, I think. 

I love Linderbaum. The way he moves in space is *chef's kiss*. Another note about him - he's pretty lightweight. If he's over 290, it's just barely.

5 hours ago, Forge said:

He's got some inconsistent accuracy issues, but the ceiling is so much higher for ridder than it is someone like trask that even if I had trask rated higher, my preference for the team would be to take ridder

darth vader GIF

Lol

I tried to like your post too but either my phone or the site is acting a bit wonky

Edited by Ftn49
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I love Linderbaum. The way he moves in space is *chef's kiss*. Another note about him - he's pretty lightweight. If he's over 290, it's just barely.

Recurring theme for Iowa interior guys. Blythe and Reynolds were also very undersized