2021 NFL Draft Thread

38 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Zach Wilson throw vs no defense & Sam Darnold’s throw vs the 49ers defense.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CM8A9cPnCOO/?igshid=1ib7anro0f1uz

These throws are cool and all and fun for highlights, but in all honesty they don’t matter. You don’t have a consistent offense by relying on your QB to make these kinds of throws. Honestly you just want your QB to be smart with the football and make quick and smart decisions, and then have good ball placement on routine throws. Now if your qb can do that, plus make some incredible off script plays, that’s awesome (Aaron Rodgers). But give me a Tom Brady that doesn’t need to go above and beyond on his throws and running around to win over those quarterbacks any day. Your ability to make one amazing throw doesn’t matter when you’re throwing picks all over the place and missing reads.

By the way the above rant is more about Sam Darnold than it is Zach Wilson, we don’t know what Zach Wilson will be yet. 

https://www.hogshaven.com/2021/3/27/22335206/ks4gms-mid-free-agency-fourth-2021-mock-draft

I tell you if this was how our draft went man these players are amazing. I’d go with the Kentucky LB over newsome in the 3rd because I’m just not as high on Newsome as most pundits are but as a guy who really really trusts my DB eye he is a freak athlete but he’s really tight in the hips and his injuries bother me. But I love this mock. Even without getting Mond 🤣🤣🤣

UT  Samuel Cosmi and Joseph Ossai pro day. Cosmi gets around pretty good for his size. Plays a little high to me but hey he is 6 ft 7in. I am a little surprise he had 36 BP reps. Never thought he was that strong. It will be interesting to see what OSU Tevin Jenkins rack up. He is a beast and very nasty.

Oassi is UT best edge rusher and has good motor. Good at running down plays from the back side however we ran at him and had some success. 

38 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I really hope we can come away with JOK and Freiermuth. Either way, I want Pat F on this team. He’s so good that I’d even take him at 19. Dudes a beast. 

Now that is something I give

approved GIF

That would 100% make us better. Penn St TE is a very good player and would instantly give us an option in two TE sets. JOK is fast, versatile and is definitely at a position of need. 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 6:40 PM, Umbaugh21 said:

These throws are cool and all and fun for highlights, but in all honesty they don’t matter. You don’t have a consistent offense by relying on your QB to make these kinds of throws. Honestly you just want your QB to be smart with the football and make quick and smart decisions, and then have good ball placement on routine throws. Now if your qb can do that, plus make some incredible off script plays, that’s awesome (Aaron Rodgers). But give me a Tom Brady that doesn’t need to go above and beyond on his throws and running around to win over those quarterbacks any day. Your ability to make one amazing throw doesn’t matter when you’re throwing picks all over the place and missing reads.

By the way the above rant is more about Sam Darnold than it is Zach Wilson, we don’t know what Zach Wilson will be yet. 

While true, Sam Darnold isn’t even 25. He’s also never had a supporting cast that anyone would even consider mediocre yet to help him. I still think he has a bright future if he gets put in a better situation with more talent around him.

16 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

What could’ve been...

Maybe someday we’ll have a young rookie QB with this much potential to build around but it doesn’t appear it’ll be this year once again.

I was one of the higher people I felt like on Jones but to be fair on this assessment and the new found love for this guy nationally when your being blitzed and you throw the ball too Smith Waddle and co I’m just saying he surly makes good decisions with a blitz but this is a scewed stat IMO because a Blitz and pressure are two different things. Time to throw is one thing that factors into this as well. There are times when he has pressure he makes bad decisions and there’s times he doesn’t. But let’s be honest there’s not a game from this past year where there was steady pressure like there way in 19 when Tua went down. Mac is a baller. I’m not knocking this guy I’m glad people are catching up. He was always worth a first. But now jumping on the idea of him being the best in the class I think is complete opinion based. 
Lawrence throws balls high with pressure in his face. Time and time and time again. But his wheels and physical gifts and his ability to run a modern day offense yes he’s the top guy. Doesn’t mean he doesn’t do things that are seriously concerning. But those things you’d expect him to fic they are completely decision and reactive flaws that can be worked on. Mac Jones with similar pressure does the same thing. It’s in their instinct with a guy coming free in their face to throw while leaning away from contact and the ball tends to sail if they can’t push it out of bounds because they didn’t feel the pressure coming.

Fields and Lance are way more fearless. Almost in the Josh Allen Pat Mahomes way inside the pocket with pressure coming. Doesn’t mean they don’t still make mistakes but they will hold the ball to throw a guy open and obsorb the bigger hit to stand in and deliver the ball. So IMO what their grading isn’t properly assessing what these guys do on film. Because if a LB shoots the A Gap and gets blocked that’s a blitz. That doesn’t mean that the pressure effected their timing of the drop or clogged the view of a throwing lane or even effected the QB stepping up. Because yes if you go solely of a defense blitzing yes Jones has time and pockets most of this season to step up and work Smith and co. So his grade should be higher say then a Lance or Wilson who def don’t have comparable OL play against the blitz and constantly had to either bail effecting this rating because a throw on the move is something Jones has had to do very seldom. Not saying he can’t because he can’t. I just feel like this is a flawed measure stat to make him look like he’s something he isn’t because if your talking about these guys making a throw with a guy coming at them I rate them 
Fields

Mond

Wilson

Lance

Lawrence

Jones. If your talking about their throw under pressure with a collapsing pocket or an adjusted throwing position due to pressure this is how they stack up. A blitz doesn’t define pressure off the edge or face or even effecting a QB’s ability to step up.

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

What am I missing that makes Fields so much better than Jones? Like, I’ve seen them both play and I don’t see this massive difference in QB play. I don’t understand why Jones is getting trashed so much? 

I’ve never understood either. I would say you’d take Fields over Jones because of the upside of Fields. Fields’ talent potential is elite, will he ever be consistent enough and get there? I don’t know.

Mac Jones is just so solid. I’d like to touch on something that @ripsean21 said about Tua’s 2019 season and when he injuries his hip. Mac Jones played after Tua and at times ran that offense better than Tua did in 2019 and do you know why that is? It’s because of Mac Jones’s recognition, he processes quickly and gets the ball out quickly so he doesn’t take the hits that guys like Tua and some of these more athletic QBs do. Mac is going to get the ball out quick instead of holding onto the ball and dancing around the way Tua did and some of these other guys will which makes those QBs more susceptible to injury.

I mean how Justin Fields got hurt vs Clemson is a perfect example, he got hurt on a scramble. Tua got hurt in 2019 scrambling away out of the pocket trying to make a play, Mac Jones won’t be doing that, he would’ve gotten rid of the balm already.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

What am I missing that makes Fields so much better than Jones? Like, I’ve seen them both play and I don’t see this massive difference in QB play. I don’t understand why Jones is getting trashed so much? 

The obvious is that Jones is immobile and Fields is extremely mobile.  Everyone loves mobile qbs who can also win with their feet.  Jones is not a multidimensional qb so his upside will never be Mahomes/Watson like, it is Cousins.  

2 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

He doesn't fit today's mold . The mobile Q B . 

The mobile QB is not a new phenomena. What matters most is playing QB the most consistent - especially when in the pros - and that’s something Mac Jones does well. I like the Matt Ryan comparisons or some others in that range. It’s nice to have a QB running around and making fantastic athletic unbelievable plays but if those plays don’t lead to victories then I don’t care.

Regardless of if a QB is mobile and able to make tremendous off schedule plays or not, they still have to be able to operate at a high level from in the pocket and that’s something that Mac Jones already does and I’d say he does it better than any QB in this draft, even Trevor Lawrence.

Just now, offbyone said:

The obvious is that Jones is immobile and Fields is extremely mobile.  Everyone loves mobile qbs who can also win with their feet.  Jones is not a multidimensional qb so his upside will never be Mahomes/Watson like, it is Cousins.  

Yeah, Cousins or Matt Ryan etc. A top 10 QB but probably not a top 5 QB unless Mac becomes so efficient where his efficiency is like on Brady or Brees’s level which is unlikely.