Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

13 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

juSTiN FiEldS iS jUsT aNotHeR oHiO StAtE qB!

I don’t think he’s another Ohio State QB. I think he’s a 1st Round QB and a starter in the NFL. Had no where close to a 1st Round Grade on Haskins.  I don’t think Fields will be a Top 10 NFL QB, but he’ll be a good QB. 

I’d still have my rankings as:

1) Trevor Lawrence - #1 Player

2) Zach Wilson - Top 5 Player

3) Trey Lance - Top 12 Player

4) Justin Fields - Top 15 Player

Lance’s potential is just too good for me to pass up. Fields has a high floor in the NFL, but I don’t really see a super high ceiling. 

Honestly, it’s one of my favorite QB classes ever. I cannot ever remember liking all four of the Top QB’s. There’s usually 1-2 guys I really don’t like. Probably my favorite QB class since 2004 (not that it’ll probably hold a candle to 2004). 

14 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

juSTiN FiEldS iS jUsT aNotHeR oHiO StAtE qB!

Yeah, he’s a faster Dak Prescott or perhaps a Steve McNair. I don’t know, I don’t think any QB comparison is ever perfect, but those are two obvious comps, I certainly see.

If teams really prefer Wilson and overthink Fields, if I’m the Jets I’d easily let them trade into #2 and then just trade back up to get Fields... though, that might be too risky... would require some big brasses hanging from your midsection.

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yeah, he’s a faster Dak Prescott or perhaps a Steve McNair. I don’t know, I don’t think any QB comparison is ever perfect, but those are two obvious comps, I certainly see.

If teams really prefer Wilson and overthink Fields, if I’m the Jets I’d easily let them trade into #2 and then just trade back up to get Fields... though, that might be too risky... would require some big brasses hanging from your midsection.

McNair is a good comparison to Fields tbh. 

Just now, diamondbull424 said:

Don't get me wrong, I think Wilson is fantastic in his own right and right there, but people bringing up the school in arguments against Fields...I can't stand it.

I've always likened to the McNair comparison myself.

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I don’t think he’s another Ohio State QB. I think he’s a 1st Round QB and a starter in the NFL. Had no where close to a 1st Round Grade on Haskins.  I don’t think Fields will be a Top 10 NFL QB, but he’ll be a good QB. 

I’d still have my rankings as:

1) Trevor Lawrence - #1 Player

2) Zach Wilson - Top 5 Player

3) Trey Lance - Top 12 Player

4) Justin Fields - Top 15 Player

Lance’s potential is just too good for me to pass up. Fields has a high floor in the NFL, but I don’t really see a super high ceiling. 

Honestly, it’s one of my favorite QB classes ever. I cannot ever remember liking all four of the Top QB’s. There’s usually 1-2 guys I really don’t like. Probably my favorite QB class since 2004 (not that it’ll probably hold a candle to 2004). 

Definitely don't agree with Lance being above him, but I'm not going to act like Lance's tools/upside isn't incredibly loud.

For me I have Fields in my top 5 and Wilson more in my top 5-8 range, but I'm not going to fault anyone for putting him above Fields. They're close.

Fantastic QB class indeed.

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I honestly don’t see how NYJ thinks they will keep Darnold.   Whether it’s Fields or Wilson gotta think NYJ will go Kyler mode at 1.2.   

Agreed. 

Unlike Rosen though, I think Darnold is very salvageable for some team. I always hated Rosen as a prospect, and didn’t think he was salvageable after his horrendous rookie season. 

Edited by BayRaider

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Agreed. 

Unlike Rosen though, I think Darnold is very salvageable for some team. I always hated Rosen as a prospect, and didn’t think he was salvageable after his horrendous rookie season. 

I fully expect Darnold to go somewhere else and be successful.

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Agreed. 

I agree which is why it’s a real Q.   But given what Fields has shown I don’t know how NYJ thinks they should stand pat.    They can get a day 2 pick and turn the page.    I’d be happy if Den went there esp if it’s only a 3rd (such a low price to take a shot).   But I don’t think the Jets can pass on QB at 1.2 with what Fields is showing (either him or Wilson).  

Edited by Broncofan

40 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Don't get me wrong, I think Wilson is fantastic in his own right and right there, but people bringing up the school in arguments against Fields...I can't stand it.

I've always likened to the McNair comparison myself.

Oh yeah. I don’t hate Wilson. I compare him to Baker, but I’m also higher on Baker than some. I just think Fields is more bust proof. He’s got legit NFL athleticism, great deep ball accuracy that reminds of another Wilson (Russell), solid processing, and he’s not a turnover machine. What’s more he’s got some experience with dealing with the hype and pressure of being a “big deal” like he’ll see in the NY market.

With Wilson, he’s got the one year wonder thing going against him, but I also don’t like his rushing style... he doesn’t protect himself well enough and that concerns me. I don’t want to say “top 12” because this is the NFL and I think it’s foolish to wait if you don’t have that guy.

So I think Wilson goes top 5, whether it’s to a team trading up or whether it’s the Falcons drafting him themselves (and then moving Ryan, not sure about Julio, probably keep him for their young QB). That said, I think Wilson shouldn’t go until after Fields.

I’m honestly not as high on Lance, but I also haven’t watched as much of him either. But again, if he’s got the potential that everyone else sees, I think you also have to take him at least within the top 10 picks. The NFL isn’t the “you can wait for a a QB league”; too many teams are in need of a QB to not be aggressive for these 4 guys IMO.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Disagree. Both have great physical tools. Both were inconsistent. Difference being Ridder has been on an upwards trajectory this year. Love had a less than stellar final year with some significant turnover concerns.

That's easy to say when they're not really in similar situations.  Jordan Love returned for his junior year and never really saw the numbers improve like some believed he was capable of.  Some viewed as a darkhorse #1 overall candidate, but his "poor" junior year put a damper on that.  Ridder was a mediocre QB as a sophomore, and really only came onto the prospect map as of late and still more about what he could be, not what he is now.  Love as a SO is a more apt comparison to Ridder this year.

9 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Love may have a stronger arm, but hardly enough to really matter. Both have strong arms to make all the throws. Most scouting reports note Love has very questionable decision making, inconsistent reading the field, and accuracy is spotty. You seem awful quick to down play Ridder having to deal with some less than stellar circumstances and real quick to make excuses for Loves inconsistent play. I get it your a Packers fan, so I don't anticipate this to be an objective conversation

I can confirm that @beekay414 was uncomfortably high on Love even before the Packers took him.

• Like 1