Are the Browns a good bad team or a bad good team?

Apparition

IMO this Raiders game is huge. Oakland is in a MUST WIN situation and is very solid. The Browns got waxed twice, but against two of the best teams in football. It’s a benchmark game for this team and Mayfield going into their bye week. If they can get to 6-2 this week, then that’s absolutely huge.

They have the talent of a very good team, even a great team, but to become one they need to get over being the Browns, and I'm not being funny. There's a psychological block to identifying as the team for whom things always go wrong, who get unlucky or shoot themselves in the foot.

They need a couple more wins like yesterday's win to shake off the mental baggage of years of being a laughing stock. Preferably against the Steelers or Ravens. If they get their mental game right, they have the ability to beat every team in the league.

48 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

They have the talent of a very good team, even a great team, but to become one they need to get over being the Browns, and I'm not being funny. There's a psychological block to identifying as the team for whom things always go wrong, who get unlucky or shoot themselves in the foot.

They need a couple more wins like yesterday's win to shake off the mental baggage of years of being a laughing stock. Preferably against the Steelers or Ravens. If they get their mental game right, they have the ability to beat every team in the league.

This year they have been doing that. The Indy game and yesterday are games the Browns would have lost in seasons past. The Dallas game was one where everyone would be making fun of them for losing in years past. This team has been winning games they should win. 

I don't put much stock in the Baltimore game. Having a rookie HC, new offense, new defense, and lots of young players was a recipe for disaster game 1 against a vet coaching staff and no real turnover on a very good team. Pitt was a bad game and showed how much this team needs to improve. 

I'd say the Browns are above average and should be competing for the 6th/7th playoff spots this year. With some improved defense they could even give some teams an issue in the playoffs. 

18 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Allow me to post as well of an informed take and equal troll post:

indiana-stretch-775x465.jpg

Yeah, not expecting big things from Penn State any time soon. Recruiting is in the dumpster this year and Clifford is an inadequate QB. That call was wrong, but it should't have mattered. Pinegar missed a gimme chip shot field goal and Devyn Ford scored a TD with under 2 minutes left instead of going down. 

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

Yeah, not expecting big things from Penn State any time soon. Recruiting is in the dumpster this year and Clifford is an inadequate QB. That call was wrong, but it should't have mattered. Pinegar missed a gimme chip shot field goal and Devyn Ford scored a TD with under 2 minutes left instead of going down. 

IMO losing those kids on defense really hurt them and that's unfortunate. PSU was a team that could have/was going to make noise with that defense, and then you hope Clifford is good enough to manage the game and they can rely heavily on that running game. I'm not a James Franklin fan at all either. IMO the guy is a major fraud.

29 minutes ago, Danger said:

Thanks for Rucci, enjoy Cross! Fair trade, I'd say!

13 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Thanks for Rucci, enjoy Cross! Fair trade, I'd say!

The 2022 class isn't so bad. But 2021 is the worst we've had since probably the year Penn State got hit with the major sanctions and allowed players to transfer freely.

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

The 2022 class isn't so bad. But 2021 is the worst we've had since probably the year Penn State got hit with the major sanctions and allowed players to transfer freely.

'21 class for y'all is terrible. Literally going to end up with only one of the top 10 composite players in the state of Pennsylvania alone (Davis).

8 hours ago, Starless said:

They're 5-2 but probably the most uninspiring 5-2 in recent memory. 

Entering Sunday they were 25th in overall DVOA (23rd in offense, 20th in defense) and I doubt winning a nail-biter against one of the league's worst teams would improve that number much. They looked non-competitive against PIT and BAL, both of whom they still have to face once more. 

But they also have been able to win reasonably convincingly against other bad teams (WAS, DAL) and do have the one quality win over IND. 

Looking at their schedule, they still have favorable matchups against HOU, PHI, JAX, NYG and NYJ, which would get them to 10 wins if they take care of business. A playoff spot seems more likely than not, unless some combination of NWE, MIA, LVR and LAC catches up, which would be tough, given their remaining schedules. 

So what do we make of this team? Are they on the rise and surviving their growing pains, or are they still a mediocrity benefiting from a cupcake schedule?

Why are you all so worried about what the Browns are doing? How about let the season play out and find out.....