OBJ torn ACL, done for the season

candyman93

11 minutes ago, buno67 said:

But how do we know DPJ can’t beat teams over the top? Stef doesn’t really run that route. That take the top off the defense guy is usually your 3rd WR playing in the slot. The guy who is going to run the seam or inside the hashes. Browns rarely use that kind of personnel grouping to accomplish that. 

they don’t need to play a slot as OBJ is that guy. Teams roll safeties to him.

11 minutes ago, buno67 said:

He wants you to cover the 52 yards from Side line to side line. Not Really 35 yards from the LOS. He more so wants you to use a safety to cover the TE

You want to force them to cover 52 x 35

23 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

they don’t need to play a slot as OBJ is that guy. Teams roll safeties to him.

You want to force them to cover 52 x 35

Ok if you have the safeties, rolling over to cover outside the hash. That opens up the TEs. So why do we need to have this burner type WR? Browns can get that mismatch of speedwhen you have a LB trying to cover a TE going up the middle. You force them to use the safety to cover the TE. Like on the Njoku TD. He was too big for the safety to cover. 

our TEs did work today in the middle and that kept the safeties playing honest. Also why they couldn’t sit back in a 2 deep shell. they were forced to play a single high safety.
That’s why baker was able to hit DPJ. 

more than one way to skin a cat. More than one way to keep safeties playing honest than by always having a burner/ streak runner on the field. 

Edited by buno67

I’m never happy that someone is injured, but I do think there is a silver lining to this.

If Baker balls out, we know what the issue is with the offense tbh.

If he struggles and we struggle offensively without OBJ, it’s clearer that the issue isn’t OBJ.

Either way, I think it allows us a better idea as to what to do in the offseason as we’ve had a variable eliminated.

• Like 1

The only positive is this...

Baker balls out the rest of the season. He realizes he doesn’t need OBJ to look good. He is just another weapon at his disposal. So next year, OBJ comes back healthy and the offense turns into, you get the ball, when you get it. I’m not gonna look for you, I’ll find you if your the best option. 

so now we aren’t forcing touches to him. It worked for the Cowboys game but how many games like that is he going to have tho. 

• Like 1

No positive here. Hope its a quick recovery and he is able to get back on the field by training camp.

I'm not in the camp that our team is better without OBJ. I can agree that some pressure might be off Baker to force a ball to him, but the reason you force the ball to a WR is because they make plays. 

6 minutes ago, buno67 said:

The only positive is this...

Baker balls out the rest of the season. He realizes he doesn’t need OBJ to look good. He is just another weapon at his disposal. So next year, OBJ comes back healthy and the offense turns into, you get the ball, when you get it. I’m not gonna look for you, I’ll find you if your the best option. . 

That’s all well in good in theory, but that should have always been the plan.

I’m just not sure Baker is capable of telling him to essentially sit down and shut up nor do I think OBJ is going to be ok playing second rifle to some TE’s.

If we aren’t getting a superstar WR I’d rather allocate the resources elsewhere, namely the defense.

26 minutes ago, joeybrowner47 said:

There’s been talk in Minnesota of Stefanski wanting Thielen to replace OBJ. As much as I’d hate to see him leave we might as well tear it down and start over. What do you guys think? You’d love Thielen he’s a gamer

I definitely wouldn't mind him depending on what the compensation would be.

5 minutes ago, JDD said:

No positive here. Hope its a quick recovery and he is able to get back on the field by training camp.

I'm not in the camp that our team is better without OBJ. I can agree that some pressure might be off Baker to force a ball to him, but the reason you force the ball to a WR is because they make plays. 

I mean, OBJ hasn’t exactly made a lot of plays with Baker forcing him the ball tough, which is kind of the problem.

It’s been a square peg/round hole situation from day 1.