Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

2 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

Maybe one of the guard positions? Lemieux was horrible at pass protection and Hernandez was pretty much benched for Lemieux. With out  Zeitler I would say there are big questions at both guard positions. Which is why we need to spend an early round pick on a guard.

Agreed...Wouldn't mind at all seeing the Giants use our first rounder, mainly because the value is there for either Tucker or Slater and perhaps a 4th on another one perhaps Banks or someone that could play either RT or RG.  I know I'd feel a lot better about our line if we did.

• Like 1

Screen_Shot_2021_01_27_at_4.15.20_PM.png

If we're looking for a RG, this how about Ben Cleveland from Georgia.  Absolutely massive human at 6'6 343 pounds, but he doesn't look like most 343 pound guards.  Ran a 4.85 forty at his pro day.  Might almost be too tall to play guard, but sheesh, what an absolute unit

Edited by Gmen

I know I've said I don't think we are going Parsons, but man he would be such a great pick for this defense.

The Giants most regularly run a 3-3-5 defense. Three down linemen (some rotation of Leo, Dexy, Shelton, Johnson, Hill), Blake Martinez, two edge (Carter, Ximines, Odenigbo, Anderson), and five DBs (Bradberry, Ryan, Pep, Jackson, Holmes, Mckinney).  However, some of the DBs regularly play closer to the line, and some of those edge guys will regularly line up off the line. Take Parsons and move him around as an edge guy. He can rush the passer, he can read and react, he can cover, and he flies all over the field. 

The scheme is highly multiple though. In our 3-4-4, Parsons lines up next to Martinez a la Crowder/Downs last year as a more traditional ILB. That would be a massive, massive improvement.

If the character concerns didn't exist, I think he would be gone before 11. With them though, I think he gets to 11 and the Giants pass. It's a shame, because he is so talented and versatile. He'd also look great in the throwback unis.

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

I know I've said I don't think we are going Parsons, but man he would be such a great pick for this defense.

The Giants most regularly run a 3-3-5 defense. Three down linemen (some rotation of Leo, Dexy, Shelton, Johnson, Hill), Blake Martinez, two edge (Carter, Ximines, Odenigbo, Anderson), and five DBs (Bradberry, Ryan, Pep, Jackson, Holmes, Mckinney).  However, some of the DBs regularly play closer to the line, and some of those edge guys will regularly line up off the line. Take Parsons and move him around as an edge guy. He can rush the passer, he can read and react, he can cover, and he flies all over the field. 

The scheme is highly multiple though. In our 3-4-4, Parsons lines up next to Martinez a la Crowder/Downs last year as a more traditional ILB. That would be a massive, massive improvement.

If the character concerns didn't exist, I think he would be gone before 11. With them though, I think he gets to 11 and the Giants pass. It's a shame, because he is so talented and versatile. He'd also look great in the throwback unis.

A group of JAGs, and really the only weak link of this defense IMO.  We need that one stud edge defender to put next to Leonard Williams and give offensive coordinators headaches.   I was hoping Carter would become that guy with his athleticism, but coming off an achillies my optimism is tempered

Edited by Gmen
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gmen said:

A group of JAGs, and really the only weak link of this defense IMO.  We need that one stud edge defender to put next to Leonard Williams and give offensive coordinators headaches.   I was hoping Carter would become that guy with his athleticism, but coming off an achillies my optimism is tempered

I agree with everything you said, except that we need a stud edge defender. I don't think the lack of one is preventing us from doing anything Graham wants to do with the defense. However, getting one would take the defense to the next level for sure. And I think Judge wants to get one to make that jump.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I agree with everything you said, except that we need a stud edge defender. I don't think the lack of one is preventing us from doing anything Graham wants to do with the defense. However, getting one would take the defense to the next level for sure. And I think Judge wants to get one to make that jump.

I agree I would love to add a true EDGE defender to this defense to take it to the next level. I think the problem is nobody on the defense requires the attention of more than one offensive player so unless we're tricking the offense with schemes, we're not winning off the ball consistently. Yeah, somebody might beat their man on a given play but it's not consistent.

1 hour ago, Giants4eva said:

My first couple picks im working on on my mock draft. i see us going 

rd1 - Gregory Rousseau EDGE f/ Miami 

rd2- Wyatt Davis OG / OSU

I think our 2nd rounder might be a little high for Davis.  He's very much like Will Hernandez.  Phone booth type player that relies on his strength.  Lacks the ability to pull due to poor athletic ability and is basically a non factor at the second level.

Just my opinion based on what I've watched.    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ny92mike said:

I'm hearing Micah Parsons name paired with the Giants being mentioned a lot lately.  I haven't watched much tap on him but I'm assuming he could play OLB in our defense.

Any thoughts on the subject?  

Hed be perfect in our defense to play any LB/EDGE spot and he's a freak athletically. He's a better prospect than Devin White was. The biggest question is the off the field stuff. The Giants have to be completely ok with it, otherwise there is no chance he's the pick. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ny92mike said:

I'm hearing Micah Parsons name paired with the Giants being mentioned a lot lately.  I haven't watched much tap on him but I'm assuming he could play OLB in our defense.

Any thoughts on the subject?  

I have heard that he is a generational player and the best edge in this draft. It is only because of that hazing incident that he will be able to drop to us (or past us). 

If we draft Parsons then get a guard in the 2nd round, for me it is game set match this division is ours (minus injuries of course). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

I have heard that he is a generational player and the best edge in this draft. It is only because of that hazing incident that he will be able to drop to us (or past us). 

If we draft Parsons then get a guard in the 2nd round, for me it is game set match this division is ours (minus injuries of course). 

With certain qualifiers, this isn't necessarily wrong, and overlooking it is why some people are underrating Parsons. He has a background as a DE. He can absolutely rush the passer. It is what I would want him doing on 3rd downs, honestly, especially since we haven't seen any special coverage skills or anything.