Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

49 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

If we could trade down a few spots and draft Tucker and then use the gained draft capital to trade back into the first and pick up an edge that would be ideal imo.

We need to fix the interior oline if this offense is ever going to improve.  

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2020-offensive-line-rankings

31. New York Giants

With one year in the books, the Giants can’t be feeling good about their decision to take Andrew Thomas as the first tackle off the board in last year’s draft, given the season he had compared to the tackles selected after him. Thomas allowed 57 pressures at left tackle this season, 14 more than any other player at the position. He was the only player at the position to be charged with 10 sacks allowed, as well.

As you could guess for a team coming in at second to last on this list, Thomas wasn’t the only problem up front for the Giants. Shane Lemieux and Will Hernandez both allowed pressure rates of at least 8% at left guard, while Cameron Fleming — filling in for the opted-out Nate Solder — allowed the sixth most pressures in the league at the right tackle position.

I know Andrew Thomas was bad, but I didn't realize he was this bad.  Yikes.  Even if the Giants get massive improvements from him the other positions are suspect in pass protection as well, as PFF points out here.

It doesn't matter that we have Saquon Barkley, Kenny Golladay and Devonta Smith if this offensive line doesn't improve. 

Edited by Gmen

This is what I mean though. Gentlemen signed a high priced LT in FA, so far that is a bust. He uses a 1st and 3rd on tackles last year. One had a horrible rookie season the other maybe has potential. Used a 2nd round pick on Hernandez in 2018. How many more times can we keep throwing capital at this line? Maybe his eye for "hog mollies" isn't all it's cracked up to be since it's not paying off

9 minutes ago, Gmen said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2020-offensive-line-rankings

I know Andrew Thomas was bad, but I didn't realize he was this bad.  Yikes.  Even if the Giants get massive improvements from him the other positions are suspect in pass protection as well, as PFF points out here.

It doesn't matter that we have Saquon Barkley, Kenny Golladay and Devonta Smith if this offensive line doesn't improve. 

I'm honestly not worried at all about Thomas.  I think his "poor play" early in the season was because the entire offense sucked to put it nicely.  Personally, I think we drafted the best tackle in that draft class and once we actually get some interior line help, we'll all agree to this.  

Will Hernandez has made everyone around him look bad, and once he was benched for the 5th rounder, Shane Lemieux the entire line looked better and lets face it Shane didn't play all that great either but compared to Will, he was an improvement.  

I've never been a fan of Will H primarily because he can't pull and rarely does anything at the second level.  If he can't latch on and dig in he's virtually useless, imo.  If we're going to force him on the field much like we've done with Flowers in the past we should at the very least put him at a position where his style of play helps Barkley out.  

For me, we don't have a single player at the interior that I can safely say is a legit starter in this league.  Nick Gates tries but his size prevents him from really anchoring at center. 

I believe this team needs to spend some high draft capital at guard, preferably a left guard and then use a 4th to draft someone like  Trey Hill, C / Georgia, whom I believe could play either C or RG at a high level.  Having a Slater or Tucker along with Hill would give this offensive line some versatile players with the ability to actually provide D. Jones with a clean pocket to throw the ball to this new receiving group we've amassed recently. 

I'm perfectly happy with the talent we've got on the outside, but I can't say the same about the talent on the interior.  The Giants have spent a ton of money this year in giving Jones targets but if he doesn't have the pocket and time to get them the ball, the team has just wasted money on the illusion that they are giving Jones every opportunity to succeed.  

The offensive line is also keeping Barkley from any real success as well, how many times did we watch him getting tackled behind the line of scrimmage due to the interior line collapsing?  A bunch.  

22 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

This is what I mean though. Gentlemen signed a high priced LT in FA, so far that is a bust. He uses a 1st and 3rd on tackles last year. One had a horrible rookie season the other maybe has potential. Used a 2nd round pick on Hernandez in 2018. How many more times can we keep throwing capital at this line? Maybe his eye for "hog mollies" isn't all it's cracked up to be since it's not paying off

In my opinion, until it’s fixed.  You won’t get far with a bad O-line in this league.  

Look at how much the Chiefs invested in their O-line this offseason despite having cap issues. Signed Thuney to a massive deal, traded a first round pick for Brown, and will have to give him a huge contract as well because he has a ton of leverage now.  They essentially prioritized O-line at the expense of other positions.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

I think the biggest reason why our tackles haven't worked out is because of Hernandez...never was a fan and it just feels like we're forcing him on the field because of the draft value he was selected at.  Much like the team did with Flowers. 

The only part of the line I feel good about is at tackle, but the interior is a joke imo.  We should of never drafted Hernandez, who drafts a guard that has zero ability to pull or get to the second level?  The entire offensive line improved after he was benched for the 5th round pick.

Nick Gates imo isn't a center, perhaps LG or even back out at tackle, he struggled big time for much of the season.  He got better as the season wore on but the team could do better at this position, imo.  

I don't think the team can afford to just stop investing at the position, that certainly isn't going to resolve anything.  If anything, we need to be pouring more at these positions.    

IMO, we should be investing not just one high pick on the interior but also adding another in the 4th round as well.  

I'm seeing cornerback as a priority need but I just don't see it.  We've got a stud in Bradberry, just signed Adoree Jackson, not my favorite, but nonetheless a quality player.  We've got some younger talent behind those guys.  Who do you bench if you drafted one of these guys in the first?  

We addressed the need at having a better player opposite of Bradberry already.  We've also got 3 starting caliber safeties that imo more than make up for not having a traditional cornerback playing the nickel.  

For me this first pick is offensive guard or edge.  I'd be okay going receiver but clearly not my favorite as I just don't see it being a huge need considering the talent we've recently added.  

I consider our biggest needs to be finding the talent to protect our QB so that he does have the time to get the ball to these guys.  With the addition of Kyle, I can picture this offensive moving Engram all over the field to create mismatches.  

The team is investing a lot in giving Jones every opportunity to succeed by giving him additional targets, so why not give him the time to hit those targets?  The clock is running out on Jones and if this year is another failure, we'll be looking at another complete revamp of the franchise within the next two years.    

• Like 2

Expecting us to go OL sadly. I aint concerned with Thomas. Got better as the year went on from what i saw. Not a fan of WR even though the talent will be there. Unless Devonta Smith or Chase somehow fall there then theres no excuse. I think we should trade down if the right front 7 player isnt there.