Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

Just now, y*so*blu said:

This year's draft, when he took zero offensive linemen and tried to scrape by with waiver-wire guys. 

Yeah, that was a pretty big blunder.  He said several times and even had his coaching staff saying it as well that the offensive line was solid with the talent we had on the roster and had no need to address it.

Goes out and signs a ton of talent and never addressed the offensive line.  I don't get him really.  He is contently talking about the importance of the hog mollies and has failed to make it better, some could say he made it worse.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 7:27 PM, ny92mike said:

When was the moment you knew Dave Gettleman wasn't the answer?

For me it was when he initially blew it up.  His trading and cutting rampage that left the defense unidentifiable.

I believe it was the same time frame when he destroyed the offensive line as well.

I think back and the list of things that this man did just blows the mind.  

What was the one thing that bothered you the most?

It kills me the way they handled Eli Manning's final few years.  

I remember pitching a fit over the team not drafting Quentin Nelson.  You just don't draft running backs 2nd overall...EVER!

Anyway, it's blast Gettleman time so hit me up with what bothered you the most or when you became aware that this was not the man to help us.   

When he took Barkley #2. I tried to sell myself on the dream. But alas reality has come to slap me in the face

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, YogiBiz said:

When he took Barkley #2. I tried to sell myself on the dream. But alas reality has come to slap me in the face

I think a lot of people tried to sell themselves on the idea of Barkley with the 2nd overall pick, so you aren't alone.  

For me at the time I just believed that Nelson was the better pick and would have helped the team out more.  Barkley is currently costing the team a little over 10 million and next season will cost the Giants $7,217,000, 9th highest paid back in the league next year.  Which I'd be fine with if he was actually producing, but he isn't and not sure if he can with this team.  He just seems like a different player now compared to his rookie season.  

Trading him would be a option, just not sure what his value is at this point in his career.  

I personally wasn't a fan of the team drafting Toney, not that I didn't think he was talented but would have much rather seen the team address the offensive line or edge.  If we had stayed put the Giants could have had Parsons or either one of Slater or Vera-Tucker.  

On 12/3/2021 at 12:27 AM, ny92mike said:

When was the moment you knew Dave Gettleman wasn't the answer?

Trading Odell after giving him that big contract and getting a crappy compensation in return in which he tried to overvalue the compensation by stating getting Jabril Peppers is like another 1st. 

On 12/2/2021 at 7:39 PM, y*so*blu said:

This year's draft, when he took zero offensive linemen and tried to scrape by with waiver-wire guys. 

I do get this sentiment and I guess you can consider Toney a bad pick position-wise but we were screaming for playmakers. Imagine not having Azeez? Imagine not having Robinson? I'm not saying they're great players but these are premium positions of need as well. 

I think they have drafted pretty well the last two seasons, just not enough to erase a horrible 3+ years before that. 

3 hours ago, GMENNATION said:

I do get this sentiment and I guess you can consider Toney a bad pick position-wise but we were screaming for playmakers. Imagine not having Azeez? Imagine not having Robinson? I'm not saying they're great players but these are premium positions of need as well. 

I think they have drafted pretty well the last two seasons, just not enough to erase a horrible 3+ years before that. 

I was all for improving the pass rush.  I greeted the Azeez pick with open arms. But as for the others, I would much rather have two young hogs than another flashy receiver and a corner who wasn't on the active roster until November.

A replay of Judge's press conference after the Dolphins game... more or less. 😄

Baddog doesn't do this sort of thing all the time, but then it's not all the time an NFL coach claims we "did a lot of good things on offense" when said offense scored 9 points.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

A replay of Judge's press conference after the Dolphins game... more or less. 😄

Baddog doesn't do this sort of thing all the time, but then it's not all the time an NFL coach claims we "did a lot of good things on offense" when said offense scored 9 points.

Just a couple of days ago he did a rant with a bag over his head. He is starting to do these sort of things more often now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnLeFa4XsAM

Edited by Go_Giants
  • Like 1

The debate about joe judge is a fascinating one honestly.. on one hand, he hasn't achieved any results and has - at times - been personally bad (clock/timeout mgmt, 4th down conservativeness, etc.). on the other hand, they have made pretty good personnel decisions since he's been here. signing Bradberry, Martinez, Austin Johnson and Logan Ryan, drafting Andrew Thomas, McKinney, Darnay, Cam Brown, Tae Crowder all in 2020. in 2021 the FA signings were definitely less successful but signing Adoree has definitely worked out. Golladay I can't say is a success at this point obviously. The draft - which VERY early - seems pretty good. Getting a 2022 1st rounder and Toney seems promising. Azeez and Robinson look like hits early. It's too early to tell on Brightwell as I haven't heard enough on how well he's doing on ST but if he continues being a strong ST contributor, that alone is a hit in the 6th round. Rodarius and Elerson are obviously incomplete. 

I'm so sick of losing but when you look at those drafts vs. the drafts before them, it is a stark difference. The 2017-2019 drafts almost NO players EVER contributed meaningfully. 

If you're adding 4+ contributors every year, you're going to end up with a pretty strong roster. The problem of course, continuing to have a bad OL and an overall lack of impact players like premium EDGE rushers. But there's at least a decent argument that Judge is still paying for the sins of past regimes. 

At the end of the day though, we need a new GM to be able to pick his own guy. If Judge is his genuinely his guy, I have no problems but it's almost impossible to believe that any GM who "picks" Judge wasn't told to pick Judge. I'd almost like to see a new GM say, "we're going to interview several head coaching candidates including Joe Judge. If Judge is the guy, he's the guy"

4 minutes ago, GMENNATION said:

The debate about joe judge is a fascinating one honestly.. on one hand, he hasn't achieved any results and has - at times - been personally bad (clock/timeout mgmt, 4th down conservativeness, etc.). on the other hand, they have made pretty good personnel decisions since he's been here. signing Bradberry, Martinez, Austin Johnson and Logan Ryan, drafting Andrew Thomas, McKinney, Darnay, Cam Brown, Tae Crowder all in 2020. in 2021 the FA signings were definitely less successful but signing Adoree has definitely worked out. Golladay I can't say is a success at this point obviously. The draft - which VERY early - seems pretty good. Getting a 2022 1st rounder and Toney seems promising. Azeez and Robinson look like hits early. It's too early to tell on Brightwell as I haven't heard enough on how well he's doing on ST but if he continues being a strong ST contributor, that alone is a hit in the 6th round. Rodarius and Elerson are obviously incomplete. 

I'm so sick of losing but when you look at those drafts vs. the drafts before them, it is a stark difference. The 2017-2019 drafts almost NO players EVER contributed meaningfully. 

If you're adding 4+ contributors every year, you're going to end up with a pretty strong roster. The problem of course, continuing to have a bad OL and an overall lack of impact players like premium EDGE rushers. But there's at least a decent argument that Judge is still paying for the sins of past regimes. 

At the end of the day though, we need a new GM to be able to pick his own guy. If Judge is his genuinely his guy, I have no problems but it's almost impossible to believe that any GM who "picks" Judge wasn't told to pick Judge. I'd almost like to see a new GM say, "we're going to interview several head coaching candidates including Joe Judge. If Judge is the guy, he's the guy"

I was all in on Joe Judge his first year, he has had a very bad second year. That being said, Jason Garrett sucked and Judge didn't want him and wanted to get rid of him last year.  How much better would the Giants have been without Garrett.

I would prefer Judge to get one more year, however if a new GM does not want him, I would understand and back our new coach. 

I think odds are Judge is going to stay, unlike our last two coaches Judge has not lost the locker room.

33 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

I was all in on Joe Judge his first year, he has had a very bad second year. That being said, Jason Garrett sucked and Judge didn't want him and wanted to get rid of him last year.  How much better would the Giants have been without Garrett.

I would prefer Judge to get one more year, however if a new GM does not want him, I would understand and back our new coach. 

I think odds are Judge is going to stay, unlike our last two coaches Judge has not lost the locker room.

Say what now... you were still all in on Judge this preseason. Go back to page 50 and 51 of this thread... You've pulled a complete 180.

39 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

Yeah I guess I'm saying it's too early to tell. I do like that his guys are still backing him. I do like that personnel has been moving in the right direction. I don't know if it's enough but if we weren't in GM hell there would be no part of me saying he has to go now. I don't think any other coach would fair significantly better with the roster at hand, and there's no guarantee the roster would be better than it is right now with a different coach.

13 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Say what now... you were still all in on Judge this preseason. Go back to page 50 and 51 of this thread... You've pulled a complete 180.

Eh, why would I be off Judge in the preseason? The various mistakes he has made in this regular season is the reason why I am not backing him as much as I did last season.