Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

CONSPIRACY THEORY: Daniel Jones isn't actually hurt. Ownership just forced him out so they had an excuse to keep Joe Judge for another season. 

Just kidding. But as far as going into next year goes I would rather have Ryan Fitzpatrick behind center than one of the QBs in the draft with our top 2 picks, and I hate Ryan Fitzpatrick. Drafting a QB this year makes no sense to me. The roster is not set up for him to succeed and he'd be into Year 3 before we have any chance of it being successful. We have OL, maybe one starting EDGE and no cap space to improve either of those premium positions. It's time to fix the two parts of the roster that have been our biggest issue for the last 5+ years. I know QB is the most important position on the field but no QB is succeeding with what we're putting out there supporting him. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, minutemancl said:

This is absolutely correct. And someone please remind me in a few months that, regardless of what happens in the draft, there is no reason to get excited about this team next year if Joe Judge is still the HC.

Our picks in round 1 need to be our favorite QB and favorite OL. Linderbaum and Corral, Neal and Pickett, Cross and Ridder, whatever. Just some combination of those 2 positions.

You seriously wanna go QB in this draft? Listen I was as big a detractor for Jones pick and I think going for another QB is just history looking to repeat itself. Focus on the trenches in this draft for once. We got two first top 10 picks. Use it wisely. A QB isn’t a choice.

5 hours ago, minutemancl said:

This is absolutely correct. And someone please remind me in a few months that, regardless of what happens in the draft, there is no reason to get excited about this team next year if Joe Judge is still the HC.

Our picks in round 1 need to be our favorite QB and favorite OL. Linderbaum and Corral, Neal and Pickett, Cross and Ridder, whatever. Just some combination of those 2 positions.

A spade is a spade. I’d rather wait until 2023 for a QB with Jurkovec, Stroud, or Young coming out. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, minutemancl said:

For real.  As an organization the Giants need to get out of the football stone age.  So refreshing to hear Brandon Staley talk about how analytics influences their decision making.  Jealous of the LAC head coach and quarterback duo.  Sad that both were in reach for us but we were tied to Judge / Jones.

• Like 1

I don't say this very often, and hate saying it now considering that Dave was given the ability to rip through the roster trading and cutting as he pleased.  This new GM needs the power to make this his team.  If we force a head coach and quarterback we might not end up with the best possible GM.  It's just an awkward position to be in if you ask me.  Oddly I believe regardless who we end up with as GM, we are better off keeping the HC and QB at least one more year.  

I believe that Joe Judge deserves another year under a competent GM and really would like to see Jones on the roster next season as I also believe he hasn't been given a fair look, I'm also a bit bias simply because I do not want us trading any of these picks for a Wilson, Carr or a first round pick on a QB as I don't see it helping the team out.  We need these picks to address yet again our biggest need.  The offensive line is going to look worse than it has in years, considering we will only have one legit starter (Thomas) on the roster.  Until we straighten out the offensive line we'll never be able to properly evaluate a potential future QB, rb, te or even receivers.

The more I start digging into next season the more I wanna punch everyone in the front office at least twice.  Just rollup in the building old school batman style.

batman punch GIF

One thing I'd do is keep the door open to any team willing to trade with us.  Meaning that no one is untouchable, well OK almost no one.  

Not sure what Graham's resume looks like so this might require a new defensive cord, but I'd switch back to the 43 defense.  It's much easier finding 43 DE's than it is finding 34 OLB's.  We don't have a single DT/NT under contract but we do have a Dexter Lawrence whom I think would make a better 43DT than a 34DE.  Determine if Leonard Williams can play DT, if not trade him for one that can.  He is the one player that has value Anyway, I think with a few changes we could make that transition and would be better off doing so, IMHO.

Unload some of these high price tag players, Logan Ryan, Sterling Shepard, James Bradberry, Kyle Rudolph, Nate Solder.

Ouch that hurt even typing it out as I like some names on that list, but a new GM brings a new rebuild so we can't be scared to alter the roster.

If we can free up some cap space the free agency looks pretty good for OL.  Brandon Scherff is one of my favorites but give the list a look, it ain't bad.  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/offensive-line//

I haven't even started looking at potential draftees yet, so take these following comments for what it's worth.

I'd be open to trading down a few spots with one of these top 2 picks, but I believe our first two need to be best available player with at least one going to address OL if not both if the talent is there I say take it. 

Both Edge and O-line have killed us the past several years, so we make these two positions the top priority.  We'll have the draft picks to make this happen and if we can free up some cap the free agency could really help us out here as well as potential trades.

On 12/14/2021 at 6:40 PM, Kip Smithers said:

You seriously wanna go QB in this draft? Listen I was as big a detractor for Jones pick and I think going for another QB is just history looking to repeat itself. Focus on the trenches in this draft for once. We got two first top 10 picks. Use it wisely. A QB isn’t a choice.

If you don't have a QB, you have to keep swinging until you hit on one. If you want to wait until early round 2 to take one this year, I'm fine with that too. But we need to take one in the first 2 rounds because we do not have one. There are a couple QB prospects I like this year, named in my post. All are better prospects than DJ, IMO. 

11 hours ago, ny92mike said:

What is Adoree' Jackson doing this year?  I haven't heard his name mentioned all season and his stats aren't too impressive.

Is he another Dave Gettleman mistake?

He's been excellent this year. He's the best deep ball defending CB in football.

I heard a clip today from Jordan Raanan's podcast with his guest (don't know who it was) saying that he heard from someone who has been in talks about the future Giants GM opening that he does not have any desire to work with Joe Judge. So if Mara is dead set on keeping Judge, we will be SEVERELY limiting our options in terms of GMs. This team is at a crossroads now: Mara will either learn from this team and his family's history and get his hands out of football operations and hire someone from outside to make sweeping changes, or he will force Joe Judge on to a new GM and we'll continue to suck and the cycle will continue.

Again, if Joe Judge is still around after this year, remind me not to get excited about this team because I'll only be disappointed in September. Hell, I may not even watch next year if we keep him. 

26 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

He's been excellent this year. He's the best deep ball defending CB in football.

Will take your word on him.  Being in Oklahoma I haven't seen hardly any games.  Just found it odd that I haven't heard his name much if any.

I heard a clip today from Jordan Raanan's podcast with his guest (don't know who it was) saying that he heard from someone who has been in talks about the future Giants GM opening that he does not have any desire to work with Joe Judge. So if Mara is dead set on keeping Judge, we will be SEVERELY limiting our options in terms of GMs. This team is at a crossroads now: Mara will either learn from this team and his family's history and get his hands out of football operations and hire someone from outside to make sweeping changes, or he will force Joe Judge on to a new GM and we'll continue to suck and the cycle will continue.

What I was saying earlier.  New GM if not allowed to sign his coaching staff the team is limiting themselves on GM candidates.

Again, if Joe Judge is still around after this year, remind me not to get excited about this team because I'll only be disappointed in September. Hell, I may not even watch next year if we keep him. 

I stopped watching for a bit too when I got feed up with Dave.