What is the thought process of you Season Tankers for this year? I'm truly dumbfounded...

aceinthehouse

On 11/10/2020 at 1:57 AM, aceinthehouse said:

So now we see what Alex Smith can do the rest of the season.

The Division is still up for grabs, but we're definitely going to have to find a way to string multiple wins together.

Something we haven't done in a very long time.

At least we got the Giants out of the way early.

Maybe we'll have better luck vs other opponents?

Detroit is up next...

So, now what @aceinthehouse?

On 11/11/2020 at 1:38 PM, aceinthehouse said:

If we win the Division at 6-10? So be it...Anything can happen in the Playoffs.

As I said in the GDT, if things stay where they are right now, the #1 wildcard team looks to be Tampa Bay.

Can you honestly tell yourself that this Washington team would beat a Tom Brady-led franchise?

16 minutes ago, Woz said:

As I said in the GDT, if things stay where they are right now, the #1 wildcard team looks to be Tampa Bay.

Can you honestly tell yourself that this Washington team would beat a Tom Brady-led franchise?

I'm not sure this team could beat Georgia, Woz.

But I want to see my favorite team play in the post season.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

You can't convince some people........and I like ace.  He reminds me of myself 15 years ago with my unrequited zeal for my teams.  

1 hour ago, aceinthehouse said:

I'm not sure this team could beat Georgia, Woz.

But I want to see my favorite team play in the post season.

Lest it not be clear, I do too!

However, I don't want a "one and done" every few years. I want to see the franchise operate like it did in Gibbs' hey day when they were thought to be a contender every year.

As such, winning this one season just because the rest of the division is trash too doesn't excite me one bit. I realized early on (before the season began) that this was likely going to be a lost year. They didn't have the talent, they had a new coaching staff, that staff didn't have an offseason to prepare for the upcoming season due to the coronavirus. While it wasn't something I rooted for, I understood the logic and wanted to see hunger and player development.

Briefly, they followed that plan.

Then they got this idea that they could win the division because every other team sucked too. But that didn't mean they were suddenly any good. They were still hole-ridden, talent depleted team they were before.

And now they're trotting out a 37 year old quarterback who makes for a great comeback story, but gives the franchise next to nothing to build upon because he is in fact 37. We can argue whether Haskins is any good or not, but not figuring it out on the field against the weakest schedule in the NFL is pathetic. If he's as bad as some have intimated, then giving him the ball won't hurt anything. If he can show growth and leadership, though, so they don't have to spend another likely top five pick on a QB, that would be all to the good, right?

Except this coaching staff has fixated on the poop colored division crown.

Seriously, consider the three scenarios:

1. They make the playoffs and face Tampa Bay (or New Orleans). There's no chance they win. Heck it's probably a question whether they would get within ten points of either team.
  2. They make a run at the crown, but miss. Now, they're 6-10 and drafting in the early teens, missing out on the top talent.
  3. They accept who they are, play hard, but come up short. Kind of like they did today against the Lions.

Which is the best one in your opinion? Now, I could buy #1 IF they were rolling with Allen or Haskins with the idea of getting the young guy some reps in the playoffs. Yeah, sure, we'd still get blown out, but at least whichever guy you have under center would get a taste of games in January in the pros. But Alex Smith? What does that get this team at all?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Woz said:

Lest it not be clear, I do too!

However, I don't want a "one and done" every few years. I want to see the franchise operate like it did in Gibbs' hey day when they were thought to be a contender every year.

As such, winning this one season just because the rest of the division is trash too doesn't excite me one bit. I realized early on (before the season began) that this was likely going to be a lost year. They didn't have the talent, they had a new coaching staff, that staff didn't have an offseason to prepare for the upcoming season due to the coronavirus. While it wasn't something I rooted for, I understood the logic and wanted to see hunger and player development.

Briefly, they followed that plan.

Then they got this idea that they could win the division because every other team sucked too. But that didn't mean they were suddenly any good. They were still hole-ridden, talent depleted team they were before.

And now they're trotting out a 37 year old quarterback who makes for a great comeback story, but gives the franchise next to nothing to build upon because he is in fact 37. We can argue whether Haskins is any good or not, but not figuring it out on the field against the weakest schedule in the NFL is pathetic. If he's as bad as some have intimated, then giving him the ball won't hurt anything. If he can show growth and leadership, though, so they don't have to spend another likely top five pick on a QB, that would be all to the good, right?

Except this coaching staff has fixated on the poop colored division crown.

Seriously, consider the three scenarios:

1. They make the playoffs and face Tampa Bay (or New Orleans). There's no chance they win. Heck it's probably a question whether they would get within ten points of either team.
  2. They make a run at the crown, but miss. Now, they're 6-10 and drafting in the early teens, missing out on the top talent.
  3. They accept who they are, play hard, but come up short. Kind of like they did today against the Lions.

Which is the best one in your opinion? Now, I could buy #1 IF they were rolling with Allen or Haskins with the idea of getting the young guy some reps in the playoffs. Yeah, sure, we'd still get blown out, but at least whichever guy you have under center would get a taste of games in January in the pros. But Alex Smith? What does that get this team at all?

See bolded/underlined.

This is EXACTLY my position

I think there is a LOT of young talent on this team-Not sure we have the right H C . I'm hoping they come together at some point and stop inventing new ways to lose . A lot of yesterday has to be on S Turner for that stupid reverse in the redzone on the opening drive . Just too risky- Keep doing what got you down there . 

12 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

I think he's 36, not 37-small quibble BUT! Brees and Brady are much older , and have two good legs . 

Okay, he'll be 37 next May.

At the same time, Brees and Brady are still playing because they are guaranteed first ballot Hall of Famers five years after they retire. Alex Smith ... is neither Brees nor Brady.